6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 F350 Shaking, hard to idle, white and black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
greatwhite350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. No check engine light and it never stalled just acted like it was going to. The truck only has 20,000 miles on it. I am going to take it in on Monday and hopefully since its still under warranty the dealership will fix the problem.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well so far the problem was the ERG Valve was stuck open which caused my antifreeze to boil over and splatter out of the degass bottle, also why it was shaking and blowing smoke after start up, just waiting on the CAC and A/C accumilator parts to come in tommorrow then hopefully it will road test ok and im back on the road .

this site is just awesome for information.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Ok the ford store called and said that they had the truck ready to go but with one problem.... the intake is all gummed up and to get it off and cleaned out would require the cab to come off? so the tech says when i pick it up drive it hard for a week and bring it back it for a scan and this might clean it up otherwise the cab has to come off.

should i just ask them to take the cab off and clean it right or will driving it hard actually clean it up.

koboss

Old 10-21-2009, 03:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
i would take it out, hook up to something heavy and put it to the floor.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'd tell them to fix it right! How is it gummed up? With what?

If something is "gummed up" it needs to be properly cleaned. I strongly suggest having them pull it apart and take care of it now, rather than having whatever it is foul your expensive valvetrain, turbos, pistons, etc. and leave you on the side of the road with a very expensive smoking paperweight.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Folks say that lots of idle time will gum up the EGR valve on the 6.4 (also the other valved engines).

I would also say that running the engine without a load on it for extended periods of time also creates a challenge for the emissions system. I really think it's designed to be run hot and long to work at it's best.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM
richfaa
Elder User
In regard to the speding ticket.You do not need a radar detector you need stay withinthe legal and posted speed limit.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
koboss1
Elder User
they said it gummed up from the older style EGR valve being stuck open for such along period of time, even though for the past month i have been telling them that it has been blowing black/white smoke, but all they said was thats cause its a diesel.

So i will hook it up to a load and take it for a trip this weekend and put it to the floor. then next week take it back in so they can scan it...like they want to and if it doesnt look any better they will lift the cab and get it cleaned.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I have another idea, try adding the Motorcraft Cetane Booster to it. Maybe the cleaning aspect of the additive would help in some way? I run it on occasion, not all the time. I tend to burn 100 gallons a week or so. Gets kinda old......

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
koboss1
Elder User
good point ruchejj, i forgot that they said they put some ijector cleaner in there wasnt sure where but said it might help to break up the gunk to blow it out, i must ask that tommorow when i pick it up.

question, does the intake get hot or is it not? if i put a load in the dump trailer and haul it up and down some hills will it get hot.if i hose on it up the hills

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
It will all get hot as long as you are working it for several miles. My best running oil burners were always the one that I ran pretty much wide open.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Well, there are coolers for every fluid and for the air entering the turbo and also the air filter box is supposed to be a "cold air intake". I am guessing that you don't have an OBD II gauge unit to monitor temps of the fluids and the exhaust.

The diesel is even cooled before injection. I think the whole key for the emissions strategy on the 6.4 is the temperature differential between cold and hot. Cold stuff going in and hot stuff going out.

I would think that your intake is only going to get hot from the ambient temp under the hood which will be hard to build up there in the wayyyy far north. I don't know how you folks make it up there, that's another topic

Your best strategy for cleaning the intake I guess would be to run it hard and rely on time and air flow. Come to think of it, the diesel fuel is only injected into the cylinder, not the intake manifold. Right? The only thing going through your intake manifold would be pressurized air from the turbos, right? I guess the EGR air is the big point here. Whoops. Okay, make the exhaust temps really hot by dragging your trailer at high engine load and rpm. My gauges tell me around 800-1200 degrees when I tow like that. See if you can heat the EGR coolers for as long a time as you can. Mine actually don't look pretty anymore, they have that "blued" metal look from heat. This is your best bet and the fuel additive should help the exhaust gas to be cleaner and hopefully beneficial to the process.

Sorry for the rambling, just thinking out loud.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
The diesel is even cooled before injection.
No it's not...

Look at the cooling system diagrams in the "6.4L bible" in the tech folder. The fuel cooling system only cools the unused fuel coming out the pressure control valve in the high pressure fuel pump.

Did they say what was gummed up? Maybe the valves?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
koboss1
Elder User
crazy they said that the intake was gummed up. cause i had it done on my 6.0 andi asked if it is the same as what they did to my 6.0 intake and she said yes it is the same part but to get at it to clean it they have to remove the turbo's and then the intake. and cant do that without the cab coming off

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM
trtex
Freshman User
Hey Koboss, you might try some Lucas fuel injector cleaner additive. Its pretty good stuff, I've never ran it in mine, but have used it in other diesel engines and it works real good. You can buy it by the quart or gallon at truck stops or big truck dealers a lot cheaper that the small bottles they sell at auto parts stores. I don't know if it will clean your intake, but I do know it will clean your injectors and combustion chamber.

Quick Reply: 08 F350 Shaking, hard to idle, white and black smoke