Excursion System rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting closer on the doors. Little too cold out to be wrapping. Going to get at it tomorrow when it warms up.

Got one rear quarter panel done. I need to order up some more to do the other side

I also have been switching out all the lights to blue LED's

And you can't forget the blue lumilogo

Old 12-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Black X
Freshman User
Looks Great man!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:19 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Truly incredible install with a great attention to detail.

Well done.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Thanks guys.

Santa was real nice and left one of these under the tree this year.

Miller - MIG Welders - Millermatic 180 with Auto-Set

Time to get working on some battery racks

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
GregN
Senior User
Amazing!

Please keep us updated with the progress of your X. This is amazing. I have always wanted to do a full car/truck project. I love custom stuff. There are a lot of talented people out there, and sir, it looks like you are one of them. I just need to make more money to be able to try some of this stuff. How do you go about sourcing all of these products? What head unit are you using where you will be able to utilize the rear control? Also, I have been looking at using the Second Skin products. How much was required to do the entire Excursion? Sorry for all the questions, but there aren't a lot of vehicle AV guys that will share there "secrets".

Thank you for leaving me in awe,

Greg

Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by GregN
Please keep us updated with the progress of your X. This is amazing. I have always wanted to do a full car/truck project. I love custom stuff. There are a lot of talented people out there, and sir, it looks like you are one of them. I just need to make more money to be able to try some of this stuff. How do you go about sourcing all of these products? What head unit are you using where you will be able to utilize the rear control? Also, I have been looking at using the Second Skin products. How much was required to do the entire Excursion? Sorry for all the questions, but there aren't a lot of vehicle AV guys that will share there "secrets".

Thank you for leaving me in awe,

Greg
Thanks!

It's a slow process. there never seams to be enough money. Mine is on hold until I can print some more As far as selecting products, it really comes down to trial and error and then keeping a watch on what is coming out. The head unit I am using is an older Alpine dvd flip unit. It is one that had a ton of features and they haven't made one like it since. Amps are my own brand, subs are another internet company and good friend of mine. The rest is just plain ol research. If you have a strong idea on what you want out of a system and what you expect it to do, then its just a matter of finding what fits your needs.

The second skin product is fantastic to work with. I have used just about every deadner product out there at one time or another. This stuff has really impressed me. As far as secrets go, most of us fly by the seat of our pants on some of this fab stuff. Sometimes what you don't see is pictures of the previous versions of some fab work. The wiring and hook up are pretty straight forward. The best thing to do with a big build is to have a diagram lined out before hooking everything up. I like to use a sharpie and draw a dry fit where everything goes. Then label what has to go where for wiring.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Now that is a build... Great job man.. Doesn't seem like you overlooked any details..WOW!!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Now that is a build... Great job man.. Doesn't seem like you overlooked any details..WOW!!
Thanks.

The only detail I often over look id the $$$ it takes to put it together.

The next phase of this build is an expensive one so it will take a bit to build up the free cash to push forward.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM
fuzzy jw
New User
good luck with it. looks great!!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:28 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I like your system. I bet it sounds good when you finish. Heck I thought I had problems. I spent a half a day repairing the crappy install in my F250. It was installed by a big shop in Memphis. They cut every corner possible. They didn't even use a grommet on the 4 gauge power wire coming through the firewall. At least they did fuse it. They used the factory speaker wires & ran all 4speakers in a 2 ohm load. They ran the rear preouts to the sub amp instead of the sub preouts. Little things but it really hurt the performance. I'll finish it today. it sounds much better already. I just need to drill a hole for the power wire & install a grommet in it. I'm waiting for warmer weather to put sound deadening in my trucks. It is hard to make it follow the panels when its real cold.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by lariat97
I like your system. I bet it sounds good when you finish. Heck I thought I had problems. I spent a half a day repairing the crappy install in my F250. It was installed by a big shop in Memphis. They cut every corner possible. They didn't even use a grommet on the 4 gauge power wire coming through the firewall. At least they did fuse it. They used the factory speaker wires & ran all 4speakers in a 2 ohm load. They ran the rear preouts to the sub amp instead of the sub preouts. Little things but it really hurt the performance. I'll finish it today. it sounds much better already. I just need to drill a hole for the power wire & install a grommet in it. I'm waiting for warmer weather to put sound deadening in my trucks. It is hard to make it follow the panels when its real cold.

Sorry to hear about your install issues. Unfortunately it happens more often then not. Most of the time people wont even notice. And that is sad. I stay pretty busy fixing wire fires out of my garage. You will be much happier when it is done right. The sound deadner will make a world of difference in the truck.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I got my issues fixed. It just pisses me off to know a shop as big as the one that did my truck does such shoddy work. I bought all my gear from a different shop in Memphis. They had all certified installers & took great pride in their work. How can they compete against big shops that rip off customers. Poor service at one shop makes people distrust all shops.Autoradio in Memphis is the best car audio shop I have found. I got a crappy install at a shop in Memphis & they fixed it for free. They only ask me to do one thing. Use them only for my stereo needs. I did for 20yrs. I sent them so many customers the owner gave me cost prices on most of my gear. He said I was sending him about 10 to 15 K in business a month. My friends used my name when they went in to buy. I worked in construction & everyone wanted to know where I got my systems. I guess my blasting my tunes got their attention. I competed in sound quality with Autoradio as my sponsor. The installers taught me what I know about auto stereo. Its one of my hobbies. Your right about many shops. They get stuff close & most people don't catch it. Like my truck , a 10 minute checkup before they finished would have caught the mistakes. I'll be in Memphis next weekend. If I see that crappy shop with a bunch of customers in it I'll go in & tell everyone about their crappy service. I don't get mad I get even.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I did the whole cab in my last truck with Dynamat. It made a huge difference. My shop in Memphis gave me 8 rolls of Dynomat for my new truck. I'm gonna miss those guys.Its not the easiest to use but its free. I have a set of MB Quart 3 way components to install. I'll do the deadening when I do them. I'd like to completely cover my cab in the F250. The diesel makes too much noise.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by lariat97
I did the whole cab in my last truck with Dynamat. It made a huge difference. My shop in Memphis gave me 8 rolls of Dynomat for my new truck. I'm gonna miss those guys.Its not the easiest to use but its free. I have a set of MB Quart 3 way components to install. I'll do the deadening when I do them. I'd like to completely cover my cab in the F250. The diesel makes too much noise.
When you look to do your truck in deadner, look at the second skin products.

Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin

I have used every product you can think of, and by far these guys have the best product.

I used the damp pro then a layer of LLP over that. with just the damp pro, I could hear ( and measured ) a difference in the truck. Then the LLP took it over the top. made a huge difference in making the truck quieter.

When I do my next install I would like to strip everything and start with a layer of spectrum sludge.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:07 PM
GregN
Senior User
Originally Posted by bgalaxy67
When you look to do your truck in deadner, look at the second skin products.

Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin

I have used every product you can think of, and by far these guys have the best product.

I used the damp pro then a layer of LLP over that. with just the damp pro, I could hear ( and measured ) a difference in the truck. Then the LLP took it over the top. made a huge difference in making the truck quieter.

When I do my next install I would like to strip everything and start with a layer of spectrum sludge.
I plan on using Second Skin throughout my Excursion this summer. How much material did you use on your Ex? I need to know how much I need to order so I know how much to budget for this project. I am completely sold on Second Skin; I am just a bad judge of material use. Any insight from someone who has done this would be great. I can't wait to quiet my X down.

Quick Reply: Excursion System rebuild.