1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How to remove a 302 from the trans with stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove a 302 from the trans with stuck?

Im trying to remove a blown 302 motor from the trans in the truck. I have tried to turn the crank with a 2 foot bar and it will not turn so i can get to the other bolts that connect to the flywheel. Is there any other way to do this, i started to remove the engine parts to maybe see what is stopping it from turning. It took all i had to not say to my friend " you had to drive it " I was so pissed! Damn pencil pusher!!! Ok i vented... I hope someone can give ma alittle insight! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I'll ask the obvious. Can you leave the torque converter attached to the flex plate and just slide it out with the engine? It's a big mess to do it that way, but probbly the only way to do it if you leave the motor stuck and not damaging parts you need to use over. Or do you have a clearance issue that won't allow that?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr
Im trying to remove a blown 302 motor from the trans in the truck. I have tried to turn the crank with a 2 foot bar and it will not turn so i can get to the other bolts that connect to the flywheel. Is there any other way to do this, i started to remove the engine parts to maybe see what is stopping it from turning. It took all i had to not say to my friend " you had to drive it " I was so pissed! Damn pencil pusher!!! Ok i vented... I hope someone can give ma alittle insight! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Not knowing what kind of trans. you have I will guess a automatic . Have you removed the starter ?Try putting the trans. in park , if no, then remove all of the housing to engine bolts along with starter . then pull trans . with t-converter still attached , should come on out . It's not the reconmended way but some thing has it locked up it sounds to me like . If standard trans. , try after removing the drive line . When asking for help , tell us everything you have tried and tell us what engine ,trans. you have then somebody can come up with a solution for your problems . Don't keep everyboding guessing .

Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as said above, just unbolt and pull the tranny back.. leaving the TC connected.. then once the tranny body is out of the way you should be able to get to the bolts holding it to the flywheel. (altho still not fun)

of course, be ready for the dump of fluid when you pull it back, altho, if its been sitting for a while, most of the extra will have drained to the pan..

Sam

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Originally Posted by fatfenders
I'll ask the obvious. Can you leave the torque converter attached to the flex plate and just slide it out with the engine? It's a big mess to do it that way, but probbly the only way to do it if you leave the motor stuck and not damaging parts you need to use over. Or do you have a clearance issue that won't allow that?
It was not that obvious for me!LOL i did not know i could do that. I thought i had to turn the converter to remove it from the trans? I can split the motor from the trans and the converter will slid off the trans? That wouls be ok for its his floor that he will have to clean. LOL

Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

It was not that obvious for me!LOL i did not know i could do that. I thought i had to turn the converter to remove it from the trans? I can split the motor from the trans and the converter will slid off the trans? That wouls be ok for its his floor that he will have to clean. LOL
yes.. nothing HOLDS the TC to the transmission.. it just spins on the input shaft.

you of course will need more clearance to get the tranny bell housing past the TC.. about 10 inches of backward movement.. tilt the tranny down if still in the truck..
watch out for the bell housing hitting the firewall..

best if BOTH are out of the vehicle.

Sam

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Not the recomended way but will work with a mess . good luck You might be better of removig engine and trans. together, it's sounds like you may need to pull trany to find out what your problems are , may be the easy way .

Last edited by jim collins; 10-11-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added more
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

its a 94 f150, dont know what the trans is though. I do not know what other info you want to know, Ask what the specific you wish for and i will try to answer my best. Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Originally Posted by jim collins
Not the recomended way but will work with a mess . good luck You might be better of removig engine and trans. together, it's sounds like you may need to pull trany to find out what your problems are , may be the easy way .
Im real positive the motor blew. We went together to buy this truck and it sounded bad than. We drove it on the trailer and drove it off when we got home with it. He wanted to drive it again when home, why dont know but he did and the motor stopped and throw the belt as well as broke the tensioner arm. I was not around so dont know really what happen. I thought that if i had the truck in nuetral and put a socket on the crankpully and it should turn? It wont turn, its a 2 foot breaker bar!! Thats when i started to think, i asked him how bad was the bang when it stopped? Got the deer in head light look! Knew i was in trouble than. Well thanks for the help! will keep posted.

We went yesterday and bought a replacement engine for the truck all complete top to bottom. Its still sitting inmy truck bed.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
if you plan on reusing the tranny i would pull with motor. then with 2 people pull it off the motor as straight as possible. if you just pull it off there's a really good chance you ll break the pump.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

its a 94 f150, dont know what the trans is though. I do not know what other info you want to know, Ask what the specific you wish for and i will try to answer my best. Thanks for all the help!!!
We need to know ,automatic or standard , if standard , 3 , 4 , or 5 speed ,floor or colume shift . we needed to know if you had removed the starter yet , it could be jammed in to it . If you have a chain hoist and a high garage ceiling I would recomemd pulling every thing out because it sounds like you may need to any how . that can be done with the smaller automatic transmissions . thats the reason it helps to know what you have then it won't become an all day guessing game . We have all gave you advice on information based on what you gave us and what we were guessing you had . you need to help us help you . Sorry if this sounds like I am angry , I'm not ..Have a good day

Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
yes.. nothing HOLDS the TC to the transmission.. it just spins on the input shaft. Sam
Yep, …………. But just a heads-up for if and when you put it back together, the torque converter has two notches on the input hub that have to engage into the front pump of the trans before it bolted to the flex plate or the trans will not work, and it is possible to assemble everything incorrectly.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Originally Posted by jim collins
We need to know ,automatic or standard , if standard , 3 , 4 , or 5 speed ,floor or colume shift . we needed to know if you had removed the starter yet , it could be jammed in to it . If you have a chain hoist and a high garage ceiling I would recomemd pulling every thing out because it sounds like you may need to any how . that can be done with the smaller automatic transmissions . thats the reason it helps to know what you have then it won't become an all day guessing game . We have all gave you advice on information based on what you gave us and what we were guessing you had . you need to help us help you . Sorry if this sounds like I am angry , I'm not ..Have a good day
Automatic
colume shift
removed starter
No other way to lift just an engine host. This is in my buds garage.

So what do you think now? Thanks!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

engine hoist should do it.. thats what I do, hoist em both up and out.

before you pull it, take a baggie and wrap the tranny driveshaft end and some duct/masking/electrical/painters tape to keep all the fluid off the floor.

sam

Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Old F1
Yep, …………. But just a heads-up for if and when you put it back together, the torque converter has two notches on the input hub that have to engage into the front pump of the trans before it bolted to the flex plate or the trans will not work, and it is possible to assemble everything incorrectly.
right.. you have to follow the correct assembly procedures.. disassembly is a totally different problem

sam

Quick Reply: How to remove a 302 from the trans with stuck?