Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/2 ton SAS (Solid Axle Swap) guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junkyard had em actually...and 1/2 ton straight axle ford with discs will have them providing they havent already been scooped

Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I just scored a complete 78 F150 D44 axle that I intend to hang on my 94 F150 and I have a couple questions.

If I read what you posted correctly you mentioned that the stock front driveshaft can be reused? My solid D44 has a slipyoke style pinion setup on it. So I can simply just swap the yoke off the ttb over to the solid axle and use the stock front driveshaft? There's no issues with the stock shaft being to short or anything with the truck lifted 4 inches?

I was also wondering about brake lines/flex lines. The setup on my D44 solid axle is a single rubber flex line off the truck, the rubber line goes into a junction block on the axle housing where it splits into two lines and goes out to the wheels. Will my stock 94 F150 ttb brake flex lines bolt to the 78 calipers? Or are different brake flex lines required?

Was also curious about the radius arm mounts. The mounts for my axle were cut in half by the idiot who removed the axle, I'm not having much luck finding stock 78-79 radius mounts, do you know of a online source for them?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
I have no first hand knowledge on the d-shaft so I wont comment.

Im 99% sure you need to use the brake lines for a 78-79 D44 but again no first hand knowledge.

I do know JBG has the C-wedges http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...rm-mounts.html

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
I cant seem to remember how the factory D44 solid's brakes were run. I would just use your factory setup all the way down to where it connects to the axle. Install a T centered on the D44 and hardline out to the knuckles. Then just a short flex hose to the calipers. I really dont like the setup with 2 brake lines running down to the axle. And IMO its not needed unless the truck has front ABS

I'm sure the master of D44 SAS will chime in here soon and give his "professional" opinion.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
the factory setup was just one line running to the axle and teeing off to both calipers. as to calipers, i believe the banjo bolts are the same, but you might have to just undo your ttb's banjo bolt and try it in the solid d44's caliper to be sure. should fit just fine.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jimbo beam
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I just scored a complete 78 F150 D44 axle that I intend to hang on my 94 F150 and I have a couple questions.

If I read what you posted correctly you mentioned that the stock front driveshaft can be reused? My solid D44 has a slipyoke style pinion setup on it. So I can simply just swap the yoke off the ttb over to the solid axle and use the stock front driveshaft? There's no issues with the stock shaft being to short or anything with the truck lifted 4 inches?

I was also wondering about brake lines/flex lines. The setup on my D44 solid axle is a single rubber flex line off the truck, the rubber line goes into a junction block on the axle housing where it splits into two lines and goes out to the wheels. Will my stock 94 F150 ttb brake flex lines bolt to the 78 calipers? Or are different brake flex lines required?

Was also curious about the radius arm mounts. The mounts for my axle were cut in half by the idiot who removed the axle, I'm not having much luck finding stock 78-79 radius mounts, do you know of a online source for them?
yes my TTB yoke went straight on the solid and the driveshaft fit fine with 4" lift.

the solid axles used a single drop setup and the "T" junction the IFS factory used a dual drop from the coil buckets to the calipers, i used that

Originally Posted by 79Ford4x4
I'm sure the master of D44 SAS will chime in here soon and give his "professional" opinion.
hey now, that was a dig

Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
posting for subscription...

i know i can't spell..

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
ya know... i actually think you spelled it right lol. :P

Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
ya know... i actually think you spelled it right lol. :P
that just shows how bad i am at it... i didn't even know i spelt it right..

Old 10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Danger-Ranger93
i didn't even know i spelt it right..
You spelled that wrong. xD

Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Prozon
You spelled that wrong. xD
oh hush... we have established i can not spell....

i have a serious question, this swap is pretty much exactly the same on a 4x2 correct?
i know i have to have a trans. and T-case also..

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
THe front axle portion is exactly the same from a 2wd to the 4wd. As you already know, with the exception of the transfer case.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-22-2010, 02:45 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kjett
THe front axle portion is exactly the same from a 2wd to the 4wd. As you already know, with the exception of the transfer case.
ok thanks, one more and im done until i actually do the swap, lets say i get everything i need to put the axle in and i get antsy and do it with out getting a 4x4 tranny and a T-case, should i experence any problems with it as far as driveability just running the D44 and it not hooked up?

i know that sounds dumb but i get excited sometimes and i can't help but jump in.. like the perry mud bog is this weekend, it has me all jacked up to get the swap done so i can have every kink, flaw, or iritation done so i can take my truck next year..

i may have to have a few of you beat me down to keep from starting on it...

Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by danger-ranger93
i may have to have a few of you beat me down to keep from starting on it...
there are a few guys on here that are experts at beeating off, but i don't know about beating down

there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't install the front axle ahead of time, least nothing is coming to mind why it wouldn't work. it'd be no different than driving a 4x4 around in 2x, just remember even if you swap to a ttb you will need to lift the rear a few inches with a block kit or an add a leaf.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 AM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fatdan460
there are a few guys on here that are experts at beeating off, but i don't know about beating down

there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't install the front axle ahead of time, least nothing is coming to mind why it wouldn't work. it'd be no different than driving a 4x4 around in 2x, just remember even if you swap to a ttb you will need to lift the rear a few inches with a block kit or an add a leaf.
i know, i have been looking at maybe a block and traction bars for the rear, as i start buying up parts i'll start a "build thread"
i'm thinkin of building my own traction bars for the rear, i know my little 302 isn't going to cause a lot of axle wrap but while i have it down and im working on it i might as well cover all points and be safe..

Quick Reply: 1/2 ton SAS (Solid Axle Swap) guide