1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

anyone done a DRW to SRW axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Mdt1992
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone done a DRW to SRW axle swap

im trying to convert my 95 F-350 CC 2WD DRW to a SRW, i know i need a new axle along with a bed and front rotors/hubs anyone else done this on here that want to give me some tips before i dive into it,
thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
A gentleman named Brown Falcon will be along to let you know what needs to be done!

And Welcome to FTE! Tell us more about your truck, Mods you are looking to do, mods that are done, and dont forget the pictures! We all love pictures!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Mdt1992
Senior User
thanks for the welcome.
not much done to my truck put a DIY intake in it a few weeks ago, and am in the process of putting a MPRB 3'' downpipe in it, i started today and need to finish it after school tommorow and doing a cat and muffler delete. want to do the axle swap and then go for gauges and a chip

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
I want the DRW axle... I want to convert mine into a duallie since its primary purpose is to tow...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 48' fordster
A gentleman named Brown Falcon will be along to let you know what needs to be done!
x2 what he said

Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Maybe Matt and MDT should just trade trucks. LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm here!!!

It really is a easy swap. You have the same truck that I do.

Everything is exactly the same between the DRW and SRW axles except the width and the brake size. The DRW axle is 4" wider overall.

The springs are the same width so it bolts right up. All the brake lines and the e-brake cable are the same. All you really need is the SRW axle, a SRW bed, and the SRW front Hub/Rotors. (And the SRW wheels of course). Oh and some floor jacks, jack stands, and buddies to help out and BEER!

Also keep in mind that you might need to swap the pinion yoke. My SRW axle came from a F350 with a 351 and the ujoints were smaller. If you get one from another diesel truck it should be the same. So maybe have a big heavy duty puller available in case you need to change that out.

Easy swap, I had help from 2 other guys and we swapped the axle in a afternoon. Front hub/rotors only took about an hour or so. You can swap just the axle or springs and axle together. I did springs and axle. But be sure you use new u-bolts if you don't swap springs.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Oh, one other thing...

You'll need to modify your fuel filler hoses because the dually hoses are longer. Kinda of a pain in the butt. I just cut mine shorter till they fit. I would recommend doing the fuel hose vent mod while you have the bed off. You basically get rid of the small inner fuel tube and run a vent tube on the outside of the hose from the roll-over valve on the tank to the filler neck. Lets you fill up the truck a LOT faster. There are some good posts with pictures and instructions on here if you look it up or someone may have a link for ya.

Good luck with the swap!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Mdt1992
Senior User
matt i think we live a little to far away from each other to make it worth the axle swap im in Virginia beach, VA

sweet thanks a lot Brown Falcon that's the answer i was looking for. It shouldnt be bad as long as i can get a axle with 3.55 gears and a bed in decent shape. and having access to some lifts at school and my neighbor's house will help alot.

thanks agian yall

Old 10-05-2016, 09:36 PM
GasserGary
New User
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
I'm here!!!

It really is a easy swap. You have the same truck that I do.

Everything is exactly the same between the DRW and SRW axles except the width and the brake size. The DRW axle is 4" wider overall.

The springs are the same width so it bolts right up. All the brake lines and the e-brake cable are the same. All you really need is the SRW axle, a SRW bed, and the SRW front Hub/Rotors. (And the SRW wheels of course). Oh and some floor jacks, jack stands, and buddies to help out and BEER!

Also keep in mind that you might need to swap the pinion yoke. My SRW axle came from a F350 with a 351 and the ujoints were smaller. If you get one from another diesel truck it should be the same. So maybe have a big heavy duty puller available in case you need to change that out.

Easy swap, I had help from 2 other guys and we swapped the axle in a afternoon. Front hub/rotors only took about an hour or so. You can swap just the axle or springs and axle together. I did springs and axle. But be sure you use new u-bolts if you don't swap springs.
BrownFalcon, are you still around? I can't private message at this point, since I'm new, but I have a 1989 F250 HD with the SRW 3.55 I am wanting to change to a 3L55, and I'm having trouble making sure exactly which 3L55's to look for, i.e., I'm wondering if I found one that was DRW, since I seem to have dually hubs on mine (?), if it would just be a direct swap, or, better said, if I can use either or have to stick to SRW. The trick is, I have a list of tag codes, but am not sure which ones would work for me and can't seem to find help on it. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 PM
GasserGary
New User
And my tag code is V125C, if that helps. From what I can tell it seems it's direct, no mods, if I found a dually that isn't cab and chassis, I think. But on my SRW, the hubs like on duallys are there, is why I always assumed my rear end was the same, i.e., a dually rear end. I am NOT looking for a DRW axle, I'm just trying to know all my options to find the first 3L55 I can come by, especially if its one of the heavy duty 7400lb or 8500lb ones. Right now, my rear axle weight is 6250lbs, I think. And a 3.73 might even work, as long as it is 3L73. I just want the posi-traction, but without sacrificing rear gawr. In fact, I'd like to bump that up, if I could. Thanks, again. (And when I saw swap, the junkyard I use would end up netting me the differential and axle, if I need to specify that--I'd not end up with just the differential, I don't think.)

Last edited by GasserGary; 10-05-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Misspoke/Left Out Info
Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
If you want to keep the same bolt pattern you'll want a '97 or older 10.25 rear axle from an F250 or F350 (not F-Superduty).

I don't know the axle codes so I can't help there. There's a list of them somewhere on FTE.

You probably won't find a dually axle with 3.55 gears in it, and they didn't start using 3.73s until '99.

The hubs on the dually and SRW rear axles look identical, the only difference is the actual axle width.

The weight rating is dependent on the spring codes, not the axle. The dually springs would swap right over onto a SRW axle and be rated for heavier weight.

Your best bet for a LS 3.55 axle would be from a 87-97 F250.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
If you want to keep the same bolt pattern you'll want a '97 or older 10.25 rear axle from an F250 or F350 (not F-Superduty).

I don't know the axle codes so I can't help there. There's a list of them somewhere on FTE.

You probably won't find a dually axle with 3.55 gears in it, and they didn't start using 3.73s until '99.

The hubs on the dually and SRW rear axles look identical, the only difference is the actual axle width.

The weight rating is dependent on the spring codes, not the axle. The dually springs would swap right over onto a SRW axle and be rated for heavier weight.

Your best bet for a LS 3.55 axle would be from a 87-97 F250.

Do srw front brake rotors go directly on drw spindles? I am doing that and have not had luck finding that info. It looks like it will but I have not gotten to that point yet.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
They do. I just bought a set of 2wd SRW hub/rotor assemblies and they went right on with no issues.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
They do. I just bought a set of 2wd SRW hub/rotor assemblies and they went right on with no issues.
Cool cool, guess I just have to do the $$$thing now lol

Quick Reply: anyone done a DRW to SRW axle swap