Sponsored by:

Very bad traction on sand dunes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very bad traction on sand dunes

So the other day my friends and I decided to go out to Pismo Beach and drive my poor truck around on the dunes. I've done four wheeling in everything but sand, and I was shocked at how poorly my truck did. Even little hills with very little slope to them would cause my tires to dig in and I would get stuck. I know my tire pressure was far too high (something like 35psi in 33" AT tires) but I didn't let any out because I didn't know where the nearest filling station was. Other than that, here's what I noticed when driving:
  • I had much, much better traction in 4L than in 4H. Other than the fact that the imput shaft is spinning faster and that there is more torque present, why is this?
  • I had significantly better traction in reverse. I ended up reversing my way around the dunes quite a lot because a) it was halarious and b) that's the only way I could get enough traction in some places. What's the deal with this?
So what should I do to get better traction here? I'm not really willing to do anything major, such as installing a locker or anything, but I would like to know what tire pressure I should run, and any other tips that you think might be helpfull. It was just really depressing to see my truck get stuck half way up a 3 foot hill becuase it had no traction...

Ooh and of course, here's a picture:

Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
learn how to drive in the sand........ momentum is the key...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But to much momentum can cause the front of your daily driver to be damaged.
Ask me how I know.

I was at the beach alot over the summer and my daily driver has like 28" street tires. Airing down does help alot. 35PSI is probably pretty high for sand. Try airing down at least a little bit.

But like Hav24wheel said, momentum is the key.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
learn how to drive in the sand........ momentum is the key...
I know how to drive in the sand from endless ATV riding in the dunes...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Than what's the problem? I ve driven two wheel vehicles in the sand many a times, there are places u can and can't stop. There are places u need speed, and there are places u don't. Ridding a quad is nothing like drivin a pickup or car in the sand. And yes I have rode quads in the sand. I've drove plenty of vehicles in the sand.

U just have to learn what the pickup will do, and learn how to use it. I'm not tryin to be a dick here. I'm just sayin u need to get some seat time in the pickup and learn how to drive it. Its not a quad.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Once again I agree with Hav24wheel.

Besides the obvious differences of handling and such, theres a couple thousand pounds more on a pickup then a quad.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Louie3
Senior User
I basically live on the beach and have had experince when my truck was 2wd no locker, then 2wd with locker, and now 4wd with a locker. Going up hills will bog down any truck if you dont have enough speed. The lowest points on the truck will hurt you like the differentials and skid plates. I've seen alot of people bottoming out over hills from parts dragging and slowing them down. So no hard turns or immediate stops. Plus having a F250 doesnt help much either lol

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by gweeds
I know how to drive in the sand from endless ATV riding in the dunes...
That's funny............
ATV........Truck.........yup

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> I had significantly better traction in reverse.

Instead of trying to push the heaviest part of the truck uphill with the lightest part of the truck (the rear) when in reverse the lightest part of the truck goes first and can pull itself and the rear better. This allows you to float over the sand without snow plowing.

Way too much pressure, it should be 20 psi or less. For about $200 you can install a compressor suitable for 33s. Or carry two cheap 12v air compressors like I do so I can do two tires at a time. I put clips on mine, extend the cords, and ditch the lighter connections.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just want to add that reverse and 1st gear ratios are different. YOu found a sweet spot with the reverse ratio. Combine this with weight distribution and you have a combo that has minimal potential. Having to run low range indicates a poor ratio combo. The axle gears and tire size is not quite optimum. More gear would have provided a much different end result.
What ratio are you running? Around 3.55?
COmbine this with a heavy truck, a bunch of drag from sand and you have a vehicle not ready for sand adventures.

Air down and you will realize that the truck is much more capable.
You are wasting your time trying to run sand with street pressures. I run a ton of sand, and I run in the zero to three psi range with beadlocks and 6 to 9 psi without.
Vehicles with more than 10 psi are usually stuck or have to haul some botty to get around.

Momentum is critical in any vehicle, so the comment about "knowing how to drive in sand" is asking for criticizm. Even with your quad experience you know what happens if you stop on an incline or half way up a dune right? Quads, and other vehicles are stuck all of the time for this reason,,,,,,,,, so how do you keep that from happening? Thats right,,,,momentum.
Thats simple sand 101. Heak Pismo sand is pretty dense and rather damp compared to Glamis sand. You might not even make it off of the sand highway in Glamis. For sure would not with that much air in the tires, or you would have to be driving at 40 mph all of the time and never stop.
There is a deffinate techique to griving a heavy vehicle in the sand.

I might add that a little extra horsepower never hurts in the sand:

Here is a nice little two wheel drive dentside in the sand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmdOneaUkM&feature=fvw

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Blueoval_boy_64
Senior User
That and a quad is alot more forgiving then a pickup on the sand. the front tires are going to float and won't dig holes like your 4x4.... That and you take a 400 lb quad, and a 5k lb pickup, put it on the same foot print roughly,(atleast with 35psi in your tires) and see where you go in the sand? I've done my share of driving on the sand, and learned plenty the hard way, but floatation and momentum are the two best factors. Also, if you can find a set of MTs with about 5% tread, these will be the best tires out there for you... Unless your running a large engine with big tires

Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
That video looks like a BLAST. Nice pics too,

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Yeah. That video was sweet haha.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Thumbs up Nice!

I like where passes up the buggies.......I bet they were a bit shocked to be passed by an old Ford pickup.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Louie3
Senior User
That truck is awesome!

Quick Reply: Very bad traction on sand dunes