1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Adrenaline + Excursion + DP + Burnout = Broken!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
FN74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrenaline + Excursion + DP + Burnout = Broken!

So this last weekend I load up the Desert Fox, the Wife and head up to Long Beach Washington for the End of the World Rod run. Only about a 1,000 cars of ALL possible builds that cruise a 10 mile stretch of road with even thousands more people.

I was feeling pretty stoked since I got my Adrenaline HPOP in(Thank you Bob!!), Stereo all wired up, New LED HID Headlights installed, Dp arrived just in the nick of time and the ol SIlver Exc was a whole new truck! Even before the DP the adrenaline alone made the Edge A/J feel like a good tuner! And what is a cruise without some melted rubber along the way?

Have to admit, spinning tires in the Lard-A$$ Excursion takes a LOT more effort than a regular pickup. For you pickup only guys throw about 4,000lbs in your bed then try again and you will know what I mean. But I'll be damned if I was going to let that stop me. Tried and failed once. Next burnout pit Tried again and finally get them spinning and made some smoke! On a roll now!! Feeling pretty cocky(short word for stupid) next water pit up I let er rip again and this time the back end did a little hop and she pulled a Black Eye Peas on me. I gotta feeling, and it was some Boom Boom Pow!(sorry for the cheap humor, its all I got) For all to hear and witness.

Good thing it's my wifes Excursion, I would have been mad if it was my truck I did that to!!. Pushed her off the road(the truck and the wife), looked for carnage, engaged FWD, which now means "Front Wheel Drive", not Four Wheel Drive and continued on, sans any further burnout attempts. Went back to the trailer, knocked on Captain Morgans door, and of course he was home and let someone else drive the rest of the evening. There is no noise at all from the backend and no binding, so pretty sure I just snapped an axle. Been through spiders in my truck, know what that sounds like.

As an FYI to this story, it is possible to tow a 28ft 10,000lb trailer with only front wheel drive, though the driving dynamics leave a lot to be desired. Say it with me now T-O-R-Q-U-E S-T-E-E-R.

Overall nearly perfect weekend! Got to see a lot of cool stuff, cruise, break parts, have some drinks, and drive home under my own power at the end

Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM
74baja
Elder User
Wait, so you actually towed the trailer like that?!?!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

That's a Hurtfull($$$$) yet humerous story Jason! I know what you mean about larda$$, I have a camper shell fullsize spare and a toolbox, she spins them but not willingly!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jason at least you can laugh about it. Sorry to hear that it happend though.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
FN74
Elder User
Originally Posted by 74baja
Wait, so you actually towed the trailer like that?!?!
Yep, only about 60 miles up and down a bunch of hills. Really glad I replaced that POS front 50 with a true 60 a few months back. Funny thing about upgrading seemingly useless stuff, Never know when it might save your bacon. Especially with me!

Jason at least you can laugh about it. Sorry to hear that it happend though.
If you can't laugh at your own stupidity, then its time to pack sand and go home. Especially in a rather light situaiton like that. No one else had a hard time laughing at me.....

Called a buddy there cruisn with me shortly after to tell him I just blew up my rear end and without missing a beat he says "and thats NEWS how?"

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Long Beach Wa.... Dang you were not too far away... Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Sorry bout your luck!

I like those lights! Who sells them?! The logo is a lil hard for me to decipher at this hour!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
agg_bagg
Senior User
ya i would like to know about the lights also

Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Wow it's really surprising to hear you were able to not only pull the truck home but also the trailer with a damaged truck. To your truck.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
If you popped the rear, I'm surprised it didn't bind up as you rolled it home.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FN74
So this last weekend I load up the Desert Fox, the Wife and head up to Long Beach Washington for the End of the World Rod run. Only about a 1,000 cars of ALL possible builds that cruise a 10 mile stretch of road with even thousands more people.

I was feeling pretty stoked since I got my Adrenaline HPOP in(Thank you Bob!!), Stereo all wired up, New LED HID Headlights installed, Dp arrived just in the nick of time and the ol SIlver Exc was a whole new truck! Even before the DP the adrenaline alone made the Edge A/J feel like a good tuner! And what is a cruise without some melted rubber along the way?

Have to admit, spinning tires in the Lard-A$$ Excursion takes a LOT more effort than a regular pickup. For you pickup only guys throw about 4,000lbs in your bed then try again and you will know what I mean. But I'll be damned if I was going to let that stop me. Tried and failed once. Next burnout pit Tried again and finally get them spinning and made some smoke! On a roll now!! Feeling pretty cocky(short word for stupid) next water pit up I let er rip again and this time the back end did a little hop and she pulled a Black Eye Peas on me. I gotta feeling, and it was some Boom Boom Pow!(sorry for the cheap humor, its all I got) For all to hear and witness.

Good thing it's my wifes Excursion, I would have been mad if it was my truck I did that to!!. Pushed her off the road(the truck and the wife), looked for carnage, engaged FWD, which now means "Front Wheel Drive", not Four Wheel Drive and continued on, sans any further burnout attempts. Went back to the trailer, knocked on Captain Morgans door, and of course he was home and let someone else drive the rest of the evening. There is no noise at all from the backend and no binding, so pretty sure I just snapped an axle. Been through spiders in my truck, know what that sounds like.

As an FYI to this story, it is possible to tow a 28ft 10,000lb trailer with only front wheel drive, though the driving dynamics leave a lot to be desired. Say it with me now T-O-R-Q-U-E S-T-E-E-R.

Overall nearly perfect weekend! Got to see a lot of cool stuff, cruise, break parts, have some drinks, and drive home under my own power at the end
Although your story is great I am sorrry to hear about your loss. Tell me....is it that easy to break an axle in an Excursion doing a 4x4 launch? Must have been the wheel hop that did it in. Makes we worry a bit about mine.

BTW- good music choice..

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
I happen to have a spare set of axleshafts. You know which side you need?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
FN74
Elder User
I happen to have a spare set of axleshafts. You know which side you need?
You may be my new best friend. Not sure which side I need yet, haven't had the time to tear into it yet. Still rolling in front wheel drive. Got some Beamagarbage on the lift right now doing some work for a friend. Pretty sure I will never open/work at or be affiliated with a BMW service shop. . I have one spare axle that I haven't broke yet, so we will see how that works out.

If you popped the rear, I'm surprised it didn't bind up as you rolled it home.
Pretty sure I didn't break the gears themselves, just a clean break on an axle. I have Broken gears before and it aint nice for driving on, and have also had an uneven break on an axle and that isn't much better. This made one noise once, and hasn't made a sound snce.

Long Beach Wa.... Dang you were not too far away... Sounds like a fun trip!
You should come out next year. If you have a pulse it is a good time. Not too many nice trucks out there either. This was my 4th year in a row, already have reservations for next year!

I like those lights! Who sells them?! The logo is a lil hard for me to decipher at this hour!
Bought them here- http://store.racer-union.com/ and only paid like 178 + shipping. And that INCLUDED the HID setup. I was pretty apprehensive for obvious reasons but for the money, the quality and fit were very impressive. They are setup with Projector HID low beams and standard Halogen reflector dish for High beams. Each light has its own up/dn lt/rt adjustment as well.

Although your story is great I am sorrry to hear about your loss. Tell me....is it that easy to break an axle in an Excursion doing a 4x4 launch? Must have been the wheel hop that did it in. Makes we worry a bit about mine.

BTW- good music choice..
That is a hard one to answer. I haven't dragged it yet, but was out doing some light wheeling, got hung up on a stump and busted both front and rear axles in the thing. The front end was completely ruined which is why it now has a 60. So this is the second rear axle I have snapped in this thing. In my 99 which has about 100,000 more miles on it and far more abuse, wheeling, drag racing, power, everything I have yet to break an axle, front or back, though I did pop the spiders in the back and replace with a true-trac. So yes, the Exc seems more prone to breaking axles, but it is the same blessed diff that is in everything else. I don't get it

Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Let me know what you figure out. I actually have a whole rear 10.5" axle that one side chewed up a spindle. So I basically have almost every part for a 10.5"

Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
gtnwood
Senior User
Headlights sold out

Quick Reply: Adrenaline + Excursion + DP + Burnout = Broken!