Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 no power, expecially while towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
norcalex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I will try that then... Just didnt know if the engine would get messed up without any boost.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
norcalex
Freshman User
So i determined that the fuel injectors are fine.

Put everything back together and took for a test drive. A quarter mile it would only get up to 40 maybe. boost wouldnt go over 5lbs. so something is affecting the boost also. hmm

Getting really irritated.

still trying to find a way to hook up the fuel pressure gauge, I need one of those fittings.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Since he seems to have disappeared, wouldn't a fuel leak here cause more than a dead miss? In my mind, it seems once the rail loses pressure like that, the whole bank will not work right.

That's what makes FTE so easy. The problems always seem to come in groups. If you pay attention, all you have to do is copy the correct answer from another recent thread and you can solve that problem too. At least that's the way it seems to be.
The fuel rails are not isolated from each other like the HPOP rails are.
Pressure drops on one side and it affects the other side as well.
The crossover is in the filter housing.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
The fuel rails are not isolated from each other like the HPOP rails are.
Pressure drops on one side and it affects the other side as well.
The crossover is in the filter housing.
I thought there was a check valve in each fuel rail that the "powerstroke help guy" wanted everyone to remove , but it's been a really long week already. If there is a check valve in the fuel lines, then the pressure should be isolated right? Which would help explain the cross connect kit for the fuel system.

My apologies for being too lazy to try and verify anything right now. I'm just working off a foggy memory here, but I understand how the FPR controls the pressure at the bowl, and theoretically a leak in one head could affect performance in the other head if fuel volume became the issue, but (assuming there actually is a check valve or one way flow device in each fuel rail fitting) if there's just an isolated minor issue on one side of the fuel system, I would think the issue would be contained to that head as long as fuel pump volume was sufficient. Am I wrong here Dan?

Sorry to the original poster here. Sometimes we get side tracked in our own discussions so we can all learn from this.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
norcalex
Freshman User
about the no boost... when i reconnected everything one of the small tubes coming off the turbo was not reconnected and hiding under the plastic engine plate. put it in and the truck seems to work. I am not convinced anything is fixed yet....

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 AM
norcalex
Freshman User
test drove it today on various roads and hills (no large grades like where it broke down last time) and it did very good. Something i noticed.. both on my banks tuner and the pro-comp boost gauge in the truck the boost never got over 15psi. That seems very low to me.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by F350-6
I thought there was a check valve in each fuel rail that the "powerstroke help guy" wanted everyone to remove , but it's been a really long week already. If there is a check valve in the fuel lines, then the pressure should be isolated right? Which would help explain the cross connect kit for the fuel system.

My apologies for being too lazy to try and verify anything right now. I'm just working off a foggy memory here, but I understand how the FPR controls the pressure at the bowl, and theoretically a leak in one head could affect performance in the other head if fuel volume became the issue, but (assuming there actually is a check valve or one way flow device in each fuel rail fitting) if there's just an isolated minor issue on one side of the fuel system, I would think the issue would be contained to that head as long as fuel pump volume was sufficient. Am I wrong here Dan?

Sorry to the original poster here. Sometimes we get side tracked in our own discussions so we can all learn from this.
My fuel lines are removed and others installed.
Those "check valves" are large orifaces. You can poke a needle all the way through them.
I believe that thier purpose is to shield the fuel pressure regulator from all the injector noise. I can feel them operate if I touch the fuel line between the filter housing and the cylinder head fuel rail.
I think that the injectors make enough noise that it makes the pressure regulator "dance" because my fuel pressure guage needle dances a little when I raise the rpm.
And drops off a couple of pounds too, so there is a need for those restrictors, I just haven't gotten around to putting them back in somehow.
Been driving it that way for about 5 years now, so I may never.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 AM
norcalex
Freshman User
update....
yesterday I towed the truck on flat ground for over 30 miles and it was fine the whole time. I went up a steep hill by my house about 2 miles long and curvy and the truck could go up to 40mph with a little struggle.

The highest that the boost will reach is 14psi. that is from my boost gauge and the OBD2 banks programmer that can get information while the truck is running.

Today I decided to take the truck and trailer up the same grade where it initially failed. It was going good up little grades then all of a sudden on one of them I watched the speedometer start to drop off and I heard the ticking sound. The check engine light came on. I pulled over and these were the codes p0603 p1211 and p1282. I then decided to go home so drove 20 miles home with no codes when I got home except p1211. The thing is.. I have a banks programmer but right now i have it set at my stock settings. the p1211 shouldn't show up should it?

Someone please help me! I need to go to havasu in a a couple weeks and need the truck to be working!!! over a 1000 miles trip.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 PM
norcalex
Freshman User
So I did the itp fuel pickup thing and I am pretty sure the tank was the issue. All 3 filters in the tank were completely blocked with a green tar substance. The guy before me ran biodiesel so I dont know if that would of caused it.

drove it about 30 miles and it threw absolutely no codes so far. going to test it up that grade with the trailer sometime this weekend.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I'm pretty sure you found your problem.
Truck throwing a 1211 code while stock gives me pause though.
I assume you cleared them out and then that code returned?
Which would make me suspicious of a failing IPR valve.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM
norcalex
Freshman User
no 1211 either!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:09 PM
mikenamys
Senior User