N Y new hitch law?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not read all these posts but my experience on the reciever hitch on my 90 Bonneville may apply. I left it in place for a couple years and it rusted in. I tried everything - heating with a torch, penetrating oil, chained the drawbar to a 3' tree and "bumped" it with the car for an hour or so - nothing would get it out of the reciever.

One reason to not leave it for an extended period of time. You may want a different drawbar in it at some point.

Dave / Believer45

Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the same guys who remove the hitch shanks also remove thier grill guards when not off road?

I mean they hang off the front of the truck right?
they arn't being used while in a parking light....

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
My drawbar or a hitch step stay in the reciever all the time. My 6" drop drawbar is actually about a foot long, between it and the 450 lb rear bumper the back of my truck is pretty well protected. Link to a pic of my bumper in sig, that is not the big drop bar in this picture.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:33 PM
vman
Elder User
I was getting my mail one day.My mailbox is at the road across the street.A truck was barrelling down the road about 50 mph.His three ball hitch came out of the receiver.Almost hit me.That is a solid heavy hitch.It would have killed me.I now have a three ball hitch.On another note,I got a ticket in NY on I-90 for an air freshener hanging from my mirror.You can have that state.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00
Do the same guys who remove the hitch shanks also remove thier grill guards when not off road?

I mean they hang off the front of the truck right?
they arn't being used while in a parking light....
That is the problem with laws like this! Where do you draw the line trying to protect stupidity?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
.On another note,I got a ticket in NY on I-90 for an air freshener hanging from my mirror.You can have that state.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you're drunk and made that up. That may be the worst ticket I've ever heard of. I'd like to be on your jury.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 PM
bunklash
Elder User
mudmaker, I learn more from you all the time. So only stupidity can cause somebody to be hurt by a low lying protrusion? Here all the time I was thinking crazy stuff like unfortunate circumstances, coincidence, providence, or maybe even Murphy's Law might come into play too. Silly me, overthinking the issue I guess. I should remember to not complicate issues with more than two facts at a time, then I can think nice and clear. I think I'm catching on now, Thanks again mudmaker, your my inspiration!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bunklash
mudmaker, I learn more from you all the time. So only stupidity can cause somebody to be hurt by a low lying protrusion? Here all the time I was thinking crazy stuff like unfortunate circumstances, coincidence, providence, or maybe even Murphy's Law might come into play too. Silly me, overthinking the issue I guess. I should remember to not complicate issues with more than two facts at a time, then I can think nice and clear. I think I'm catching on now, Thanks again mudmaker, your my inspiration!
Glad I could help you there!!

I use the word stupidity as a generalization. There are a lot of laws created because someone was stupid and instead of just saying I screwed up they blame someone and get some new law passed that has broad impacts on all of us.

Reading between the lines of your previous posts I get the idea you you are so intelligent you have nothing left to learn in life. You are much smarter than me or anyone else, therefore to debate opinions with you is a complete waste of time due to the fact you simple say the opposing thought is below your mental state. I stated before it is a simple difference of opinions, but you just keep complaining about me being some sort of ignorant fool. Seems to me the one that starts insulting the intelligence of the others is usually making up for a lack there of, but what would I know. I am just a dumb,bubba thinking, redneck, backwoods, hack that cant even figure out how to take the hitch out of my receiver.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
vman
Elder User
HEY STANLEY I am drunk but yes I got that ticket on the thruway you tard.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by vman
HEY STANLEY I am drunk but yes I got that ticket on the thruway you tard.
Man that sucks. I guess all these states are in need of money and are doing everything they can to get it. I spent the summer in NY and there were a lot of enforcement set ups but for an air freshner, wow. I've never heard of that. PS, what's a tard ?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
. That may be the worst ticket I've ever heard of. I'd like to be on your jury.
IL has the same deal.... nothing hanging from a rear view mirror, never got a ticket, but have received warnings

Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
what's a tard ?
It is short for retard.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm pretty sure Stanly knew that, he was just trying to avoid a fight with someone who feels it necessary to resort to name calling.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bill11012
It is short for retard.
Yeah, I'm a retard, and I guess you're a PHD.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Hey Bill, sorry, my bad. I just figured out you were not calling me a retard, just telling me what it meant.

Quick Reply: N Y new hitch law?