Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

There is only one choice - Cummins!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is only one choice - Cummins!

After so many problems with Powerstroke I dont't see any reason to buy another one.Only Cummins should be my next choice.Whatever its Ford or Dodge,I whant to see only Cummins under hood of my truck.Its all about engine,not a truck itself.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do agree to a point... Cummins is a great engine. Dodge os not a great truck, infact I was looking at Dodge Ford Gm back in 06... I narrowed it down to Ford or Dodge, like you... But that was when the new 6.4 was comeing out, I was told then to stay away from it. It was a hastily thrown together engine...

I am also a big fan of the Germans, and with this new Scorpian engine coming out, Ford did turn to the European engineers, So that is great, after all. Over on that side of the pond they have been running Diesels since the 60's...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...el-engine.html

I dont know if it will be a good engine, but will say.I agree with you on Cummins... I long for the day when Like semi's we can go to Ford,Chrysler or GM, and pick our drive line...

Old 09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
After riding and using dodge trucks for a few years out in the oil patch, I can say I wouldnt get a dodge truck, as they are right now. The old 5.9s were really great engines, and thats my experience with them. Ive heard mixed reviews on the 6.7 cummins and they had problems with stuff (also heard they were trying to get ready for the 2010 emissions where other manufacturers werent yet).

Oh if only they didnt wrap a cummins engine with a dodge!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
WOW!That 6.7 looks not so bad,But we will see soon.If this 6.7 will be reliable like a Cummins thats will be very,very good,but who knows.I think V engine (especially diesel) is a bad idea for trucks.Why just not build a stright engine?Why?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

if you think you want a dodge you better by 2 or 3 so you can still have one to drive while the other 2 are sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. We have 400 p/u's 50 Dodge's, the rest are ford and Chevy's. the new ford and Chevy's have very little problems but the dodges have alot of emission and electrical problems. we have 2 that have been down for 2 months waiting for parts and 14 others that need to go in for the same repairs. all of our 08/ 09 dodges have been in multiple times for computer and electrical gremlins and emission related failures. The Fords and Chevy's have had few problems except that Chevy like Dodge is having a hard time supplying parts. A lot of long term back orders on simple parts. I'm sure that the government will have our supply issues solved just as soon as it becomes a crisis's big enough to need a czar to fix it.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
V- inline-boxer- all different designs... I would rather have a V or a boxer... I maintain. I look forward to the day, when I can go into a Ford Dealer, and spec out a truck, and pick my drivline. A SuperDuty, with a Cummins engine, an allison trans, and of course the big dana axles.

Take me to Heaven....

Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mustang6147
V- inline-boxer- all different designs... I would rather have a V or a boxer... I maintain. I look forward to the day, when I can go into a Ford Dealer, and spec out a truck, and pick my drivline. A SuperDuty, with a Cummins engine, an allison trans, and of course the big dana axles.

Take me to Heaven....
Thats what I need too.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by 57fomoco
if you think you want a dodge you better by 2 or 3 so you can still have one to drive while the other 2 are sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. We have 400 p/u's 50 Dodge's, the rest are ford and Chevy's. the new ford and Chevy's have very little problems but the dodges have alot of emission and electrical problems. we have 2 that have been down for 2 months waiting for parts and 14 others that need to go in for the same repairs. all of our 08/ 09 dodges have been in multiple times for computer and electrical gremlins and emission related failures. The Fords and Chevy's have had few problems except that Chevy like Dodge is having a hard time supplying parts. A lot of long term back orders on simple parts. I'm sure that the government will have our supply issues solved just as soon as it becomes a crisis's big enough to need a czar to fix it.
You right,I have no choice ,I still with the best truck and looking for a Ford with Cummins.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Emissions certifications limit the choices of drivetrain in light duty vehicles. Each combination in each series needs to be separately tested to EPA standards. It wont happen. I dont know the cutoff weight, but it is above 10K lb GVWR, and pickups are below that.

Here is a link to the new Ford engine. Looks a bit odd with reverse-flow heads, but with a single turbo on a V-8 it makes sense. Detroit diesels and EMD locomotives always used V rather than inline engines, so there are arguments for both.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/for...r-duty-diesel/

Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
After all reading about new Ford Diesel I just want to say WHY Ford build this engine when we have great diesel on market - Cummins??!! Why so many trucks use this motor,semi trucks,Dodge,and soon should be Nissan (V configuration from Cummins),and Ford F650...???!!!Why just not put this engine in F250-F350???WHY?Its already proven engine,Cummins,why build something not proven yet,why spend so much money in this project,??? when all around we see a years proven,reliable engine - Cummins!!!WHY??? Like somebody said : "Diesel’s beauty is simplicity, reliability and torque at low RPMs. Their weaknesses are vibration, horsepower:weight issues and emissions. You eliminate vibration with a well-balanced inline six cylinder engine, which is the smoothest configuration you can find in a simple layout. HP can be boosted with a turbocharger. Emissions with urea.Keep It Simple."

Old 09-05-2009, 03:22 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mustang6147

Take me to Heaven....
Boy, I agree completely. When you pay the kind of money you have to pay for a new truck you should be able to spec it out.
I don't hear good about the Cummins 6.7 diesel. The shop that does my repairs has had several in for repairs just out of warranty. The guys who own them that owned 5.9s are sorry they got the 6.7. I understand the repairs are not cheap. & it seems that just after 100,000 miles is when the problems really start to show up.
Craig

Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,221 Posts
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
After all reading about new Ford Diesel I just want to say WHY Ford build this engine when we have great diesel on market - Cummins??!! Why so many trucks use this motor,semi trucks,Dodge,and soon should be Nissan (V configuration from Cummins),and Ford F650...???!!!Why just not put this engine in F250-F350???WHY?Its already proven engine,Cummins,why build something not proven yet,why spend so much money in this project,??? when all around we see a years proven,reliable engine - Cummins!!!WHY??? Like somebody said : "Diesel’s beauty is simplicity, reliability and torque at low RPMs. Their weaknesses are vibration, horsepower:weight issues and emissions. You eliminate vibration with a well-balanced inline six cylinder engine, which is the smoothest configuration you can find in a simple layout. HP can be boosted with a turbocharger. Emissions with urea.Keep It Simple."
why??

easy. because the proven,reliable cummins 6.7 engine that is currently in use is a bigger POS than any diesel engine international/navistar has ever built.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I'm on my 4th Dodge 3500 CTD. I use the hell out of my trucks, they pull everyday, and by pull I mean BIG loads and they handle it just fine. The Dodge I have now has been problem free and currently has a shade under 80K on it. I think the problems come into play when retards think they need more horses and put chips in their trucks, its just asking for trouble. I've had the Chevy 6.5, Ford 7.3&6.0, Dodge 5.9&6.7CTD and the Dodge outperforms the other diesel motors so badly its not even a comparison. As stated earlier- the only thing that keeps the CTD from absolutely dominating the market is the fact that its in a Dodge. If Ford should some how beable to get a contract with Cummins and start using them in their trucks they would OWN the entire HD truck market.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Cummins used a bunch of paper tactics to get EPA certified in the past. They're paying the price now. Go read some dodge Cummins message boards. The 6.7 has virtually nothing in common with the 5.9L. If You think the 6.0 was bad, go buy a 6.7 Cummins.

The EPA is screwing the public with their communistic bureaucracy. They have absolutely NO checks and balances. They've jsut about completed their single handed demise of the consumer diesel engine. More expensive, poor fuel economy, extremely unreliable, with very high cost of ownership.

Seems that the idea of a 30 MPG+ diesel pickup is not on their agenda.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I agree with that statement as far as Ford Diesels go, my 7.3 got around 18, the 6.0 got around 14 and I've heard that the 6.4 is even worse. I just got back from a trip to Lake Tahoe (I live in SD) and the 6.7 of mine got about 19.5 (my calc, not the truck comp) so IDK how much worse the mileage is getting with the CTD.

Quick Reply: There is only one choice - Cummins!