Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Well I must know............

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I must know............

Whilst pulling the big trailer to Arthur for the Ford Truck Show it was probably the hottest day of the summer.

That being said the new Griffin Rad did not over heat but the Transmission temp went to the high level of it's heat range.

Now the question is how do I correct this little problem so as not to ruin my transmission?
Well I certainly do not want to fasten a Trans Cooler to the front of my Nice New Griffin Rad, so what to do?

Well after some investigating and another trailer pull of about 50 km on a much cooler day I believe the B&M aluminum two extra quart pan with fins will fix my problem and for good measure an AutoMeter Trans temp sender and gauge for accurate readings of the temp to see if I'm correct.

Rick.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How'd the Bronco handle with the trailer behind it? How heavy is the trailer?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a B&M heavy duty cooler on my '76. It's the same as the engine oil cooler that they make but does't come with the oil filter adapter. I liked the unit because it had threaded fittings. I don't like rubber hoses and hose clamps. It's not ugly and there's plenty of room in front of that precious Griffin rad of yours, besides it's the optimal location for cooling.
Or you could use a cylindrical aluminum inline chasis mount cooler. They look nice and will match your aluminum rad. Less surface area for cooling though. Your pan may provide more surface area but I'm not sure it would be as efficient as an inline cooler? The pan will definitely help and I guess you can add cooler later if needed.
Temperature gauge is a must. I never got around to installing mine, primarily because it was mechanical and I avoided doing the plumbing. I don't tow all that often so it's absence doesn't bother me that much. If I'm concerned I plug in the laptop and it displays all i need to know about the transmission(E4OD).

Frank

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will find out soon.

Originally Posted by fp_5
I used a B&M heavy duty cooler on my '76. It's the same as the engine oil cooler that they make but does't come with the oil filter adapter. I liked the unit because it had threaded fittings. I don't like rubber hoses and hose clamps. It's not ugly and there's plenty of room in front of that precious Griffin rad of yours, besides it's the optimal location for cooling.
Or you could use a cylindrical aluminum inline chasis mount cooler. They look nice and will match your aluminum rad. Less surface area for cooling though. Your pan may provide more surface area but I'm not sure it would be as efficient as an inline cooler? The pan will definitely help and I guess you can add cooler later if needed.
Temperature gauge is a must. I never got around to installing mine, primarily because it was mechanical and I avoided doing the plumbing. I don't tow all that often so it's absence doesn't bother me that much. If I'm concerned I plug in the laptop and it displays all i need to know about the transmission(E4OD).

Frank

Chad the Bronco tows the trailer without much of a problem, the only thing I noticed was the trans temp and a bit of a shifting problem if I baby it.

Frank I'm going to do the pan and see if that fixes my heat problem as for the sensor I passed on the brass tube ether filled one and opted for the wired in one instead AutoMeter said it is their best seller and is almost as accurate as the hard tubed unit.

Rick.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick, a word of warning with the B&M tranny pan. It's not a direct bolt in, you either have to carve up the cooling fins or modify your crossmember. I've got a series of pics on what I did to mine and others have done it similar ways if you do a search. It's a nice pan but not a quick and easy swap.

John.