Intake Gasket Trim??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Intake Gasket Trim??

Ok, so I installed the intake on my 73 360 last night. All of the bolts went in but the front right one. It was like the front right corner would not drop down far enough to get the bolt to engage in the head. I wondered when I put the intake gaskets (Victor) on the block about the tabs on the cork gasket ends riding up on the heads (where the slot is in the side gaskets and occurs front and back). They even have a tendency to push out the middle section of the cork gasket when you push them down flat to the block and head at the end tabs. I was thinking I should trim them down a bit to get the intake to seat properly with the heads. But, I thought they would squeeze down and that they are made that way to get I good seal. I am guessing that I should have trimmed them down (tapered them to the head) then use a lot of RTV there. Of course pulling it back off today with the RTV setting overnight ruined the gaskets. New gasket time. The new ones (Felpro) do the same thing with the end tabs. Any suggestions? I do not want to have it happen again. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always have used the cork end seals, and I always trimmed them so the end of the tabs aligned with the heads. Then use a bit of RTV. I have used RTV along the cork, but it can cause the cork to slide out when you tighten things down.

I no longer use the cork tabs, but use a single bead of RTV across the front and again along the rear top edge of the block.

I doubt your end seals are causing the manifold to not sit down. It always seems to be one of the front holes that seems to be misaligned, but it will fit. Best thing to do is start all bolts only a few turns until all bolts are in. Then tighten up each one a bit at a time to almost snug. Then start your torque sequence.

By leaving them all loose at the beginning, your manifold has a bit of play to help get that last bolt in.

Dont forget to trim the top of your intake gaskets where they protrude where the valve covers go. I dry fit everything, mark them, then remove the gaskets and trim with sheet metal shears (or good scissors). I have forgotten and a razor blade will slice them off (yes, even through the thin metal gasket core).

Also, I recommend coating around the water passages on the gaskets with gasket shellac....the stuff that looks like molasses.

EDIT: If you have the oil tray under the intake manifold, make sure none of the tabs are incorreclty bent. They can get in the way a bit, although will bend not to be a problem during tightening. Best to get it right though.