Sponsored by:

FORD to TAKE CUMMINS CONTRACT. from a reliable source

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
. Common rail simply means the injectors share a common fuel source - not individual injection lines from an an injection pump, and the 7.3-6.0 power strokes do exactly this.
Exactly. There are pump-line-nozzle engines and common rail engines.
The 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes are all common rail. The differance is that the 6.4 is high pressure common rail.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Elmerfud
New User
Ford will get cummins think about it...they can grab all the dodge sales and really compete with the duramax/alison combo, sometimes in the project world its better to dump (the scorpion) and become the best, also they could put dodge out of business, FORD wouldn't hesitate to try and do that no matter what it costs, as five years from now they could have 80% of the truck market and charge what they like and recoup any losses no problem....go for it FORD.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The 7.3 in my 03, is a HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injectors), not a common rail system.

I know its just wikipedia, but heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine

and theres lots more info available in the 7.3 forum that corresponds with what Chris was saying that the 7.3 is not a common rail system.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford doesn't need to be more competitive then the Duramax Allison, they already out sell them. When you just spent hundreds of millions on an engine and tranny combo this close to release, it DOES NOT make sense to dump all your work, then spend hundreds of millions again making a new engine work just to have the "Cummins" name, especially when you are trying to save money.

Putting Chrysler/Dodge out of business is the LAST thing Ford wants. The economy would be hurting MUCH worse then it already is. The Asian/European car makers would strike and flood the market - taking GM down as well, and if you think Ford (who is already pretty weak financially) can standalone by themselves against the 20 or so foreign brands, you are out of your mind.

@preppypyro, the 7.3/6.0 IS a common rail system. The injectors receive from a common fuel line/source. Fuel isn't being targeted to a specific injector. What the 7.3/6.0 is not, is a high pressure common rail system - which is what the 6.4 and every new Diesel is. Also, that same Wikipedia article says the 7.3 IDI underwent some "changes" to DI, Turbo, and Electronic Injection to become the Power Stroke. I would take anything in that article with a grain of salt.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
From International;

"The International VT365 features a six-liter displacement with four valves per cylinder and includes the International Electro-Hydraulic Generation Two (G2) fuel system. The G2 system is a common-rail design with no high-pressure external lines"

Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I know I would take anything wiki says with a grain of salt too!

Ive just never heard a 7.3 referred to as a common rail. Maybe what Ive really never heard is it never being heard as a high pressure common rail.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I think the term "common rail" has become a buzz phrase. And I believe the "buzz" is at least partially perpetuated by an attitude that if its not the way Cummins does it, it isn't good.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Now that I think about it, wasn't Chrysler's contract with Cummins for the 6.7L supposed to run until 2013?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing the 7.3 IDI and the 7.3 powerstroke have in common is displacement. As said above "common rail" means that the injectors are fed from a single fuel line (or one on each side) this is the same thing you will find on the efi motors. The 7.3 ps and 6.0 are both fired by computer (electronic signal) same as the injectors on an efi. I spent 2 years researching the diesels Ford used in thier trucks before doing my swap. I hate anything electronically controlled and that was my main reason for going with old dependable 6.9 IDI.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
ohcrazyloon
New User
Dodge never was a good truck. They had to for cummins. Ford has never changed anything. They are still dependable tough trucks that isnt owned by FIAT. LOL. I personally run both cummins and cat in semi's and the cat motor is a better low end grunt power motor.Cummins and dodge has built junk for years and i have always wished that ford would put a cat in their trucks and run them both out of business. But thats just my opinion.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Ive driven various cat and cummins engines in semis, and cummins is one of the best. Nothing wrong with a cat, but cummins is no slouch either.

The 5.9 cummins is a deadly engine, and its hard to argue that fact, even if ya hate cummins!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
ohcrazyloon
New User
I dont hate cummins. I have a couple friends that have the new dodges. They pull like they are empty even under a load. I just loved the way a cat pulls out of the hole much better in the big trucks. A cummins was more of an owner operators motor though because they were simple enough to fix on the road. I have just always loved ford and cat and would love to see a combination of both. If nothing else id love to see the dodge boys have to buy a ford to get a new cummins.
Just messin around.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:48 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, Ford won't be putting a Cummins in their Super Duties anytime soon.
So the Dodge Boy's will be just that, Dodge Boy's.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:24 AM
PHElectric
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Ford doesn't need to be more competitive then the Duramax Allison, they already out sell them. When you just spent hundreds of millions on an engine and tranny combo this close to release, it DOES NOT make sense to dump all your work, then spend hundreds of millions again making a new engine work just to have the "Cummins" name, especially when you are trying to save money.

Putting Chrysler/Dodge out of business is the LAST thing Ford wants. The economy would be hurting MUCH worse then it already is. The Asian/European car makers would strike and flood the market - taking GM down as well, and if you think Ford (who is already pretty weak financially) can standalone by themselves against the 20 or so foreign brands, you are out of your mind.

@preppypyro, the 7.3/6.0 IS a common rail system. The injectors receive from a common fuel line/source. Fuel isn't being targeted to a specific injector. What the 7.3/6.0 is not, is a high pressure common rail system - which is what the 6.4 and every new Diesel is. Also, that same Wikipedia article says the 7.3 IDI underwent some "changes" to DI, Turbo, and Electronic Injection to become the Power Stroke. I would take anything in that article with a grain of salt.
Why don't you go start your own thread titled " I'm right because I say I'm right and everyone else in the world is wrong. Next start your own "common rail thread" and quit hi-jacking this one.

Oh no if Chrysler goes down, then GM will, then OPRAH, then the U.S. then world will end and then armageadeon. lol.

Actualy what would happen is someone else would buy them out, maybe even keep the name and keep everything running like normal, almost like it never happened. Yeah maybe a few factorys would shut down, some models would stop, some new models would come out. Certain contracts with subcontractors might change..... Oh wait this just happened! Yeah with that one company what was it called, oh yeah it was chrysler and Fiat bought into them to help keep them going with their bankruptcy. Lemme guess you want me to list this info for you too?

Christ the government would step in and buy them out and keep them running, they would never let our economy and overseas economys loose that many jobs and potential proffits. But all you hear is

Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 AM
PHElectric
Junior User
And ford trucks do not sell out chevy, Remember ford dosent have sub-divisions that also pump out other top of the line diesels like chevy. CHEVY AND GMC together sells more thrucks than FORD all togheter. Evey ford fanatic (which I am) says this all the time...... This you can look up yourself

Ford has so much money it crazy. They could scrap that scorpion like an empty soda can with out blinking and pick up cummins and sit back and watch trucks fly out the door. I'd trade my 6.4 in on a new 5.9cummins powered ford in a hearbeat. I would pray ford ressurect that 5.9 that dodge stoped ordering and let the 6.7 fly by (not that the 6.7 isn't a good engine, just not as flawless as the 5.9. Its been hard for a brand new 6.7 to sit next to a 5.9 thats had the bugs worked out years ago and has been proven through and through for over 15years!

Quick Reply: FORD to TAKE CUMMINS CONTRACT. from a reliable source