S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What Are You Doing To Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:53 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Thanks guys for the heads up. I'm outta town tomorrow, so will wait until next week to figure it out.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Thanks guys for the heads up. I'm outta town tomorrow, so will wait until next week to figure it out.
lemme know sean if ya need a hand yanking the starter out...

Old 05-10-2015, 02:15 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Where to this time? Stayin' in this country?

Pop

Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Just a mom-in-laws day trip to SD. Haven't been traveling much lately.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Getting to stay home is usually the result of a lot of hard work and planning by one who travels!

Pop

Old 05-30-2015, 12:43 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
get your starter straitened out sean?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes, a Ford remanufactured unit in there. Starts much faster now. Made it to the G2G with no issues.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, a Ford remanufactured unit in there. Starts much faster now. Made it to the G2G with no issues.
cool deal!

yeah my starter was slowing down too as it was failing between December and January, February i had to carry my "BigAzz" channel locks to give it a good whack.

replaced it with something from napa, now it cranks like a import!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 AM
djed
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Found a bulge in my spare tire. Been meaning to fool around with the steel rims so applied some paint remover to the spare wheel. I've had the paint remover sitting on the shelf for some time so I'm guessing it's the good stuff.

I'll be leaving for a few days so I'll be interested to see what it looks like when I get back.

I need votes on what to do next. Leave the bare steel, paint, have it powder coated, ??dont want to spend too much on this project.

If it turns out, I'll do the rest of the wheels one at a time.

I also need to get around to having my alternator rebuilt as the voltage regulator may be shot. I'm getting 18.2V readings on my tablet and the alternator is scorching hot to the touch after a short drive. Pop recommended a place near Northridge but I may look for something closer to me.

David

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to powder coat it you have to do all of them so you don't have to wait for your color to come around again. They usually do one huge order in one color at a time. I say just paint them, they're steel wheels, it's kind of hard to mess t up.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean, and whoever else can answer, what were the warning signs of the starter going out? My dads 250 has been having some problems lately and just don't know what it could be.

My dad will drive somewhere, i.e. get gas, haircut, and other little errands. Then on his way back home he stopped at a 7-11, just for like 2 mins, went back out and tried to start his truck and wouldn't start. This happened twice before, but after about 10 minutes it would start again. This time after 3 hours no luck, so we used our AAA to get it towed like a mile home. My dad trickled charged it over night and next day it started with no problem.

He currently has a Red Top Optima battery, about 3 years old, and we think that may also be a problem so may weight the option of replacing that as well. We brought it to our friends shop to check any codes, and nothing popped up either.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
Sean, and whoever else can answer, what were the warning signs of the starter going out? My dads 250 has been having some problems lately and just don't know what it could be.

My dad will drive somewhere, i.e. get gas, haircut, and other little errands. Then on his way back home he stopped at a 7-11, just for like 2 mins, went back out and tried to start his truck and wouldn't start. This happened twice before, but after about 10 minutes it would start again. This time after 3 hours no luck, so we used our AAA to get it towed like a mile home. My dad trickled charged it over night and next day it started with no problem.

He currently has a Red Top Optima battery, about 3 years old, and we think that may also be a problem so may weight the option of replacing that as well. We brought it to our friends shop to check any codes, and nothing popped up either.

Probably NOT the battery. It's a good idea to get it load tested, can't go wrong with that, ever. But intermittently not turning over, especially when warmed up, is a classic symptom of a bad starter and/or bad solenoid. Always a good idea to replace both at one time.

A good trick when that happens is to climb underneath with a hammer, and bang on the starter motor while someone else turns the key. The vibrations will often get it to catch. Dead spot on the armature, bad contacts on the solenoid, or even a loose connection, all of which may respond to a judicious metal on metal whack.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:27 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpounds
Probably NOT the battery. It's a good idea to get it load tested, can't go wrong with that, ever. But intermittently not turning over, especially when warmed up, is a classic symptom of a bad starter and/or bad solenoid. Always a good idea to replace both at one time.

A good trick when that happens is to climb underneath with a hammer, and bang on the starter motor while someone else turns the key. The vibrations will often get it to catch. Dead spot on the armature, bad contacts on the solenoid, or even a loose connection, all of which may respond to a judicious metal on metal whack.
Ok, I'll let him know thanks

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna break in for a second.
I absolutely love seeing SteveBricks' handle at the top of this thread.
Let's not ever let it lapse.

I'm in the middle of ac install on my '61.
Lotsa piddley little stuff to do with it because the only ac unit I could find was built around an FE not a Y block. So the provided hosing doesn't work at all.
Had to make new hoses. It ain't easy to find someone to do it. But I now have a few guys.
Also I've been thinking of getting my own crimping set. $$$ but I think worth it.
But just about done with it though.
I'll upload some pictures of it when done.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

For hoses, do you know about Orme Brothers in Northridge?

They're my "go to" guys for that kind of thing.

Pop

Quick Reply: What Are You Doing To Your Truck?