S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What Are You Doing To Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 AM
jake08
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
Our usual go-to mechanic has been swamped with his motorcycle/desert toy portion of his shop (along with doing bikes for privateers doing the Supercross races). Although he is just an amazing guy he's finally settled down, had a kid and has been under a lot of stress with an overload of work (great for his business, but he hasn't had time for actual cars/trucks lately).

Just as a back up, wanted to ask you guys if you could recommend a good car/truck shop that'd you'd recommend if you weren't doing the work yourself. I'm needing someone that I could get a quote from to do more of the suspension components/steering components (who might be able to do the v code swap) check all the linkage etc. also if they do gears cuz I think I'm needing to look into moving up from the 3.73's. I'd really like a good 'ol more "maintenance" oriented shop rather than a "performance" shop. I was first thinking that an offroad shop could do all I wanted, but would rather get the more OEM stuff running properly and then going to an offroad shop later on....unless someone knows of a good offroad shop that isn't just a bunch of bro's sitting behind a counter tryna up-sell you.

Also possibly a shop in OC is preferable cuz I'm in La Palma (off the 605 between the 91 an 405), however because I'm just near the LA border I'll take some referrals to people up north too. Thanks in advance
Try Jeff Smith in Hawaiian Gardens 562 425 2602. One man shop, have used him for years.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
...I also noticed that while doing a u-turn or at full wheel lock and if I brake then there is a binding that occurs.
That sounds like a 4x4 hub locked, when it should be free spinning.

...and I feel it more in the wheel.
That does too.

...it happens about every couple stops whether I slam on the brakes or gently come to a stop.
But that doesn't. When was the last time you had new brakes including calipers?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to my truck, but got the new Kenwood headunit installed in the wife's Escape. Has bluetooth with a separate microphone that actually works really well. She's happy cuz she can plug her Iphone in and use all the controls on the radio and no more FM transmitter. Now I just need to find a home for the the factory 6-Disc changer.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Is it a Ford p/n 6L8T-18C815-FD ?

If so, it makes a nice upgrade to our early SuperDutys, and I might be interested in buying it from you.

Only that part number from an Escape works, however.

Pop

Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
It's close to that lol....

5L8T-18C815-ED.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
PM sent.

EDIT:
Saaay, won't this fit YOUR truck, too?

Maybe you'll want to keep it. Of course, it you already have an aftermarket sound system, we can "talk".

Pop

Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Only thing I have done to my Bronco recently was replace the right rear tire that developed a slow leak this past Wednesday. I tried airing it up to drive the 3 blocks to the nearest tire shop, but it leaked too fast, and I ended up ruining the tire. I was able to get a used tire of the same size as the other three, just a different brand, mounted, balanced, and installed, so I am happy now.

Jim

Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jim. I wish it had been the driver side rear, that valve stem is a bugger to refill!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Yea, I was going to get that valve stem replaced this payday until the tire incident. And next payday is reserved for getting it smogged. I may be late with the registration but only by a week or two. Then I can get that valve stem replaced.

Jim

Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by jake08
Try Jeff Smith in Hawaiian Gardens 562 425 2602. One man shop, have used him for years.
Thanks, I'll save his info

Originally Posted by bpounds
That sounds like a 4x4 hub locked, when it should be free spinning.

That does too.

But that doesn't. When was the last time you had new brakes including calipers?
As in the dial? I'll check that...or could something internal be locking it up?

We had brakes done back in August, about 8-9k miles ago. We've only done brake pads, and awhile back had to get a front rotor, and I'm pretty sure we've never replaced a caliper.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
As in the dial? I'll check that...or could something internal be locking it up?
No, not the dial, the actual locking hub on each front wheel. You can check them yourself easily. Park somewhere safe, and turn the steering wheel all the way to the lock. Doesn't matter which way. You're just turning the wheel so you can easily reach the front U-joints on each side. Shut the engine off. Then go to a front wheel, and reach in behind the wheel and grab the U-joint. Try to turn it. If it is unlocked, it should turn easily. If it won't turn, it is locked. Then try the U-joint on the other wheel. If either one is locked, you've got a bad locking hub.

Of course this assumes the dials are both in the AUTO position, which is clockwise as you face each wheel.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Follow bills direction. If one is locked you can usually resolve it temporarily by enabling 4x4, driving forward, disabling it, and driving in reverse. You can also try manually locking and unlocking (returning to AUTO) and turning the driveshaft by hand.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I've had good luck unlocking them by just turning the dial back and forth 3-4 times, ending in the AUTO position. That's when my hubs were in good shape, but the vacuum system was leaking which allowed the hubs to get out of sync. It's worth a try.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by turbohunter
Just catching up with you guys after to much work.
I stuck them in my '74 to get a little more punch for my getting old eyeballs.
Must say they work very well for the instruments which were very low before on incandescents. There are kits available that mimic original or create something new for the young dudes.
Also had an interesting effect on my turn indicators. With incandescent bulbs it looked like the gels were burned through.
Once I stuck LEDs in, the green became very even and (dare I say it) beautiful.
I think where most peeps go wrong installing LEDs is they don't research and choose the right color temperature. For instance most of the dome lights that are sold are a nasty a$$ blue light. Looks like crap. There are warmer temp bulbs available that look much nicer.
Bolded portion is a matter of opinion. The typical LEDs are a much truer / whiter light than the yellow incandescents. So to our eyes that are used to the yellow nastiness (another matter of opinion!) seems right or normal. While I'm not into the way blue tones the yellow isn't my cup o tea either.

Oh and what I'm doing to my truck? Trying to get it rolling again. As of this morning it's got tires on it again & is holding up it's own weight for the 1st time in waaaaaay too long!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Bolded portion is a matter of opinion. The typical LEDs are a much truer / whiter light than the yellow incandescents. So to our eyes that are used to the yellow nastiness (another matter of opinion!) seems right or normal. While I'm not into the way blue tones the yellow isn't my cup o tea either.
You certainly know what opinions are.
The point is there are many color temps to choose from so you can pick the one you like.

Quick Reply: What Are You Doing To Your Truck?