S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What Are You Doing To Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Used brake fluid is the nastiest tasting fluid that comes out of a truck.
Ummmm....... You're not supposed to DRINK it!

But if you do, it's right up there with battery electrolyte.

Pop

Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Is it better when it's fresh?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Only marginally so.

Pop

Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 944 Likes on 686 Posts
Abstract

Brake fluid (glycol-based) toxicity is known to have a protean of central and peripheral nervous system manifestations. The principal component of this household poison is ethylene glycol. Toxic effect is generally attributed to peri-vascular deposition of calcium oxalate crystals in various tissues. However, clinical features resembling brain death have rarely been reported. We report a case of brake fluid toxicity simulating brain death in a 21-year-old healthy man who ingested it as a recreational agent.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

So you are saying that I am getting my protein? nice.

I think anyone that has done any work on a car has gotten bits of gunk in almost every orifice.

Not like I am doin' shots or anything...

I stay away from battery electrolites and all that.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

We do love our parched humor here in So Cal...

Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think anyone that has done any work on a car has gotten bits of gunk in almost every orifice.
I'm really glad you used the word, almost.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Decided to redo my exhaust today, seems like a good day as any!

First, drank some coffee, ya know, to get all the motivation running. While I did that, searched Craigslist to find some replacement headers. I had seen an ad for a set for $125. Hmmm, cant find it, I shoulda book marked it, so I started looking through my bookmarks. Ugh, found a lot of stuff that the ads expired, or that I dont need. Might as well clean those out, so I can find the stuff that matters, right? holy cow! I found one from a year ago about "Off Road light relays". I gotta keep that one for sure. Went out to check to see if I still have those KC lights, yup, safe in a box. I still dont have the relays, switch or wiring. I better Google it so I have those bookmarked ahead of time so when I can afford it. Walked back inside and poured another cup of coffee. Continued to delete bookmarks and be productive. Figured since I am doing the exhaust and KC lights today, might as well revisit a "battery relocation project" that I am working on, cuz a lot of this will be done while under the truck anyway. Yep, confirmed 25' feet of heavy gauge wire should work. Went back in, coffee is good! But what about a Winch? I will need wires to go further, so I can use my tongue mounted winch on front and back, when I get it. Measured it up, Googled it, bookmarked it, done! Mint plants don't do well in direct sun, apparently. Washed off the patio, and relocated the mint plant. A Tuff Stuff Winch is $400, pretty inexpensive! The problem with Instant Folders, you can forget if you are at 2 scoops or 3, very easily. Ok, back to work on the exhaust. Couldnt find the ad for $125, but found some good stuff at Summit for $500+. Seems legit. Gonna go with the Magnaflow true Duals too. Go big or go home, right?! Bookmarked em. Yellow or Red top batteries? i dont know the difference, better look it up. Wow, 8:30?!?! This exhaust has already eaten up 3 1/2 hours of my day?! oh well, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it right? Guess I will go clean the garage, so everything is where I can get to it. And I need to rig up some type of hanger thing to paint my headers, when I get them. VHT is like $8 a can. I will need at least 2, I guess. I am broke, so that can be put on a back burner til next weekend. Set down my coffee cup somewhere. Edelbrock has a Performer Intake Manifold, dual plane, with EGR that will bolt right in. Cant remember if it has an EO number. I am sure that I woulda bookmarked it when I was working on that the other day. 3 cups of coffee, with 3 scoops of instant in each one, is like only filling 1/2 of a cup with dry instant. 1/2 of a cup of coffee cant be bad for you right? Squirrel!! I am going to go get some Sunflower seed stuff, they are nice to look at. Be back in a bit....

Old 09-06-2015, 09:54 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

We all have days like that, once-in-a-while!

Evening comes, what's gotten done?

Dunno....

Pop

Old 09-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Firedick
New User
Disposal

I never considered drinking it to get rid of it, seems extreme, but to each his own...

For those of you in San Bernardino County 1-800 "Oily Cat" (645-9228) for household Hazmat.

Thanks for the input guys.

FD

Old 09-13-2015, 02:36 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Hey guys as long as we're on Fluids.
Last Sunday had a power steering pump growl in the F350. Checked and was surprised to see the tank low. It was last Sunday and I didn't have any Mercon ATF so I just added some ps fluid I had around the garage.
Today Nanc told me it was making noise again so using my brilliant powers of deduction I went out to look for leaks and found a slow one by the brake mc. Tightened it up and refilled using some Valvoline Synthetic ATF that is compatible for Dex/Mercon vehicles.
My question is, after researching fluids I've found a few posts about regular power steering fluid not being good for seals in the system.
I used a small amount. What say ye learned hydroboost mavens. Flush or Ok?
I'm going to continue researching fluids.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
you can mix em?! hmmm, i wouldnt, but idk.

my 79 didnt like ps at all.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I'd say if you were due for a flush anyway (miles?), go ahead and get her done. I've also heard the mixing 'no-no' but can't say why. I bet there is a long discussion on here somewhere.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
My opinion, a little PS fluid isn't going to hurt anything. I would be more concerned with the noisy pump. Time to do a quick and dirty flush. I like the Mobil 1 ATF in our hydroboost pumps.

Real easy to change the fluid. Steve and I did our trucks in my driveway a couple years ago. Fond memory there.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I'm sure you're right on the ps fluid not being a big deal as well as it may be time to flush fluid anyway.
So a flushing we will go.
BTW the pump was good and quiet upon filling reservoir.

Quick Reply: What Are You Doing To Your Truck?