6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

100K oil change challenge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by origcharger
The 6.0 may beat the "living doo-doo" out of its oil but there also are not many engines, that after a proper oil change, operate circulating 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 gallons of fresh oil blended with 1 gallon of used oil.

By comparison the also HEUI International DT466 contains 6 gallons fresh oil blended with 1 1/2 gallons used oil after a change.
True and I'll take your word on the quantities.

This is why I personally believe in using one brand, type and weight of oil and sticking with it. I personally use Rotella-Syn year-round and due to the reasons you posted above I use it year-round and do not switch back and forth (weight of oil or brands).

Personally, I advocate using one brand and either dino or synthetic and just stay with it... but a few quarts left in the high-pressure oil system of an API certified diesel oil is not going to hurt anything anyways.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Very true... but if wear metals go up... that is just as bad... "wear is wear".

I was about to ask, where is the printout of the report to post on here? I would like to see the trend line of the wear metals as that seemed a little bothersome to me on your last report.

Even if the viscosity looks good, if it's wearing more then it should; then something isn't right. Is there anyway you can post that report on here of your second sampling?

I would like to say, thanks for doing this no matter what the report says. This is certainly what is better then what we were getting(or lack thereof). I(and I'm sure the rest of the people following this thread) do appreciate it.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM
88stang1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very true... but if wear metals go up... that is just as bad... "wear is wear".

This is why extended oil drains in the 6.0L PSD motor is not advised... with any oil.

Shearing or increased wear metal rates are both bad... this is why so many of us change our oil between 5,000 - 7,500 max and just use a good quality, name brand oil and OEM oil filter.

Why pay for high priced Blue Diamond oil if it is not going to give you 100% protection against shearing and wear metal protection!!!!!

Their oil may be good... but the 6.0L just beats the living "doo-doo" out of it... so high-priced oils are not worth it (at least in the 6.0L motor).

Thanks for keeping us informed and I will enjoy seeing your next sample reading. At what mileage will you take it at?

Thanks,
2500miles will be the next sample I also added the rest of my HHS in that I purchased last year at this time.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM
88stang1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I was about to ask, where is the printout of the report to post on here? I would like to see the trend line of the wear metals as that seemed a little bothersome to me on your last report.

Even if the viscosity looks good, if it's wearing more then it should; then something isn't right. Is there anyway you can post that report on here of your second sampling?

I would like to say, thanks for doing this no matter what the report says. This is certainly what is better then what we were getting(or lack thereof). I(and I'm sure the rest of the people following this thread) do appreciate it.
Here is my print out the second sample should say 5W40 unidentified like the third sample which is blue diamond

Last edited by 88stang1; 12-19-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added some text
Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised that they consider those increases in lead and iron in such a short time to be normal.

How many miles did you put on between samples?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM
88stang1
Senior User
2500 miles all mileage is pulling a combined weight of 23000lbs
total mileage on oil is 7500miles

Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soooooo..... any updates?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Soooooo..... any updates?
Wow, forgot about this thread since it was BS to begin with.

I have yet to see any true results posted by Lubrication Specialties and/or users that all is well and how does it really hold up to a name brand, CJ4 spec'd oil.

As stated way back in the beginning of this thread, I will put my Rotella-Syn 5W-40 oil (API certified, CJ4 rated) oil up against anything... and dollar for dollar, I think it is great oil (as are many other name brand API certified oils of various brands).

I just do not believe that this companies oil will go 100,000 miles and their oil and filters are way over-priced.

I'm waiting....

Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just do not believe that this companies oil will go 100,000 miles and their oil and filters are way over-priced.

I'm waiting....
Well now remember that's if you use their big oil reservoir and all that as well. They left themselves that way out of it. If you just use it as the normal amount of oil without their big oil reservoir the intervals are more normal if I remember correctly. I'm not going back through the whole thread to find out though. I don't have the stomach for that.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
From the Lubrication Specialties website, here is a cut and paste of their "Blue Diamond" oil (note the confusing statements they make about it (I have highlighted in red).

Lubrication Specialties | Diesel Motor Oil | Primrose Engine Oil | Fuel Additives | Oil Additives | Engine Restore|

Blue Diamond is a fully formulated CI-4 Plus/SL universal motor oil. Due to its 5W40 viscosity grade, Blue Diamond meets and greatly exceeds all heavy-duty diesel engine requirements for multigrade engine oil. A 100% pure synthetic motor oil, Blue Diamond is vastly superior to partial synthetics. In addition, Blue Diamond is formulated to meet and exceed API SL for gasoline engines.

MY COMMENTS:
(This is incorrect, newer motors require CJ4 spe'd oil, so this oil is an old spec and only can be used in diesel motors WITHOUT a disel particulate filter)

Blue Diamond is fully compatible with all conventional mineral oil-based motor oils and fortied with a high detergent 14 TBN additive package with highly effective dispersants — making it suitable for all diesel engines where 15W40 is required.

MY COMMENTS:
Again, not true if one's diesel motor can only use CJ4 spec'd oil.

Its low volatility compared to conventional light neutral based oils greatly reduces oil consumption. The high detergency plus the exceptional oxidation and thermal stability prevents deposits and oil breakdown, making much longer drain intervals possible. Special anti-wear additives in superior lubricating basestocks plus super engine cleanliness spells elimination of most wear and reduction of maintenance.

Blue Diamond is formulated for extreme cold temperature as well as extreme high temperature service. Its 5W viscosity at low temperatures allows it to replace conventional 5W30, 10W30, and 15W40 oils in gasoline as well as diesel engines.

MY COMMENTS:
The above statement is confusing, their oil is rated as a 5W-40, but they make reference to it working like a 5W-30 or 10W-30? There is no way... the oil may act like a 5W when cold and then the various add-pack in the oil makes it work and protect like a 40 weight oil (not a 30 weight oil). If one has a car or truck that mandates a specific oil spec... becareful
.. these guys have posted confusing info (or confusing to me)????

Everything about this product and company screams of "snake oil" and un-documented claims... at least in a 6.0L PSD motor.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 AM
88stang1
Senior User
I have just sent out my third oil sample I have 10k on blue diamond oil
so far no complaints you can see my other samples I have already posted them as I will post this one when I get it.

Wow, forgot about this thread since it was BS to begin with.

I have yet to see any true results posted by Lubrication Specialties and/or users that all is well and how does it really hold up to a name brand, CJ4 spec'd oil.

As stated way back in the beginning of this thread, I will put my Rotella-Syn 5W-40 oil (API certified, CJ4 rated) oil up against anything... and dollar for dollar, I think it is great oil (as are many other name brand API certified oils of various brands).

I'm waiting....

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was watching my inj pressure and noticed that at the higher rpms, the pressure decreases becasue of the higher flow.

If you keep your eng at the higher rpms your oil wont sheer as much.

dont do this, just pointing it out.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by 88stang1
I have just sent out my third oil sample I have 10k on blue diamond oil
so far no complaints you can see my other samples I have already posted them as I will post this one when I get it.
Third sample for testing..... wow.... have lots of money or what?

I use Blackstone Labs and they charge $20 or more dollars for an oil anlaysis... so in 10,000 miles you have spent $60.00 or more plus postage (lets just call it $70.00 total).

I can change my oil with Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and a Motorcraft oil filter (all from Walmart) every 5,000 miles for $100.00. I do not test my oil as often anymore as this oil and filter work perfectly... so once a year or so is good for me due to many miles I drive each year.

Yes, you save on oil and maybe filters... but the cost of the oil analysis alone is one that many overlook as they try to get extended oil drains.

Granted.... you have spent $70.00 so far just on oil analysis plus the cost of the expensive Blue Diamond oil (not sure of filters or how often you change them)... but I suspect we have both spent close to the same so far... maybe you spent more so far due to the higher cost of Blue Diamond oil????

Thanks for the update... keep us informed.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take my oil to ten to twelve thousand miles. I use full synthetic 15W-40. I once thought that I could get 25,000 or more from a good synthetic oil, bypass system, and good filters (engine and bypass). No matter what combination or how I tried mixing it up (oil brands, smaller micron size on the bypass filter, etc.), the blackstone oil report showed too much shearing, lowering of TBN, etc. It is my personal opinion that the engineering of these trucks prevents someone from safely doing a 25,000 mile oil change cycle let alone 100,000.

I always sample my oil and send it to blackstone when I change it. I get the standard oil analysis and pay the extra $10 for the TBN test. I probably don't need this, but it is good peace of mind for me.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
88stang1
Senior User
The reason for oil analysis is to see how good this oil is or not I want to see if it could go 10k and still be a 40 weight oil and still have the nessesary anti-wear properties. As it shows on my first sample Rotella was turned into a 30 weight oil before 5k . Also just want to be able to say if you want oil that will last a certain amount of miles heres your proof, as it seems that I am the only one willing to prove it good or bad and I have posted my samples for you guy's to make opinion for yourselves.

Third sample for testing..... wow.... have lots of money or what?

I use Blackstone Labs and they charge $20 or more dollars for an oil anlaysis... so in 10,000 miles you have spent $60.00 or more plus postage (lets just call it $70.00 total).

I can change my oil with Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and a Motorcraft oil filter (all from Walmart) every 5,000 miles for $100.00. I do not test my oil as often anymore as this oil and filter work perfectly... so once a year or so is good for me due to many miles I drive each year.

Yes, you save on oil and maybe filters... but the cost of the oil analysis alone is one that many overlook as they try to get extended oil drains.

Granted.... you have spent $70.00 so far just on oil analysis plus the cost of the expensive Blue Diamond oil (not sure of filters or how often you change them)... but I suspect we have both spent close to the same so far... maybe you spent more so far due to the higher cost of Blue Diamond oil????

Thanks for the update... keep us informed.

Quick Reply: 100K oil change challenge