Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

The Pa. Chapters August Bull Thread/ Almost anything goes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,110 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Good evening PA...what's up???

Joe...have you talked to your vet about a shot...I believe called a mis-mating injection. Kind of like a morning after pill. My Shar Pei was visited by the local mutt a number of years ago...and...before I noticed it...they were tied. The shot worked...caused an infection...but...that was easily cured with some anti biotics.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daughters taking her to the emergency vets right now. Ken, I don't think she's pregnant, even though she was locked up. She's 14 1/2 yrs. old and I believe the young rott may have damaged her hips. This came on abruptly, she had been walking a little gingerly the last few months. a couple of years ago she had a partial masectomy and the doctors said the other lumps where benign. She'll eat if I bring the food to her and she'll drink, she'll even struggle up to go to the bathroom, but only a couple of feet. My downstairs carpet has stains everywhere. My neighbor behind me has a male as old as her and he can't use his rear legs at all. They use a sling to take him out to do his business and let him lay in the house the rest of the time with his pain meds. If it is her legs and dysplasia I'll probably build her a little cart and get some pain medication for her. If it's the lumps and they are cancerous and metastized I'll give her some extra meds and let her go quite. I have a spot in the back I can bury her.

This is the third year in a row that my week before Carlisle has had some sort of drama. I'm beginning to think I should just stay with Bloomsburg and the 4X4 Jamboree If the vet cost's to much I may be sleeping in the Bronco.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soondg
This is the third year in a row that my week before Carlisle has had some sort of drama.
planning on some wheels coming off or spending a month in the hospital?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
soondg
Postmaster
Dog update; the Vet said she has an infection in her uterus and it's spreading through her body. Other than that everything about her health is good. The surgery is very expensive and they don't think she may survive it because of her age regardless of her current vital signs. I would like to let her die at home, I'm waiting for the vet to call back to let me know if they'll give me the meds to let her go at home. The first couple of vets and the hospital called back as I was typing and won't do it. This is the third time I've had to make this decision in the last year and a half. My mothers dog had to be put down, then a month later I had to make the call about my mom, now my dog. I know there's a big difference between dogs and humans, but it's still an emotional attachment.
My daughters coming over and we're taking her to the humane society .

This has been a crazy couple of years. In addition to this stuff, I took a major financial hit, had two surgeries so I could walk and spent three weeks in the hospital last year on life supports from some infection I had picked up in my chest cavity. Getting older can be okay, but life seems to come at you a lot faster. Some days you want to pull the covers over your head and stay in bed. I'm glad I'm one of those tough minded optimists Norman Vincent Peale spoke about and have a strong belief system, especially about life after death.

This internet thing is good for venting, and the majority of the people I've met on this site have dispelled the myth about the indifference of people. I have seen their compassion towards others, kind of neat for a site that's supposed to be about trucks. Maybe our political leaders should read some of the post's in here to get a handle on the pulse of America. My daughters here, gotta go, I'll see some of you guys in Carlisle. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
JesterPgh
Elder User
This all hits home pretty well with me. Dogs become just as much a member of the family as all of the people who make up the family. Now, as far as I know, my mother should be good to go for quite a few more years, but my grandmother has been having problems, in and out of the hospital, etc, and they still have her in the hospital at this time. She's 87 years old, and very fragile. My Pap left us several years ago, and it doesn't ever go away, it just doesn't hurt as much. I still think about him all the time, and now I'm very concerned for Gram. I wish you the best with everything that you're dealing with, as I'm sure when my Rot gets to his old age, I'll be coming here to vent as well. He's only 4 now, so he's got some good time left with us. Again, all the best to you and yours, and I hope everything goes the way it's supposed to.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Why this reminds me, in 48 hours (barring any messy bloody explosive wrecks on the highways) I will be at my site or the campsite setting up. ATN is my adult version of Dec23 when I was a kid....

Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
I hear ya - I'm kinda giddy over this myself. I'll be rolling out Friday AM and I'm trying to get through as much as I can so that I can relax and enjoy it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
soondg
Postmaster
I just got back from having the dog put down. It's a sad thing.

Yeh Jim, you do get attached, she looked at me as though she knew. I went to the local Humane Center and they don't let you stay with them while they do it, which sucks. I would have liked to pet her and comfort her until she went out.

Now I have to go around picking up the stuff for Carlisle. I've only found one table so far, I called a friend of my wifes who works at a hotel to see if I can borrow some of theirs, no response yet. If need be I'll round up some saw horses and plywood , or a few blank doors, whatever works. we are a truck club and should be able to improvise and modify stuff

Ed, Bill, Carlisle will be a welcome respite from the last few weeks. I'm probably going to stay with my daughter and her husband in their pop up at Western Village. My wife wants a hotel with showers, air and all of the creature comforts. I want to camp, if we do, it will be the first time since I've been with my wife that we have ever done it. I'm hoping she likes the experience, I saw a kick a** set up that I would like to get. It's designed for year round use in the Arctic region. It's built so you can hook up a stove, heater and even a portable A/C unit. If I added up all the money I've spent in hotel charges over the years I can definitely justify the cost. I had camped a lot when I was younger, with the cub scouts, the Civil Air Patrol(ranger training school), as a teen hitchhiking around the mountains in Pa., Virginia and Tenn. with a couple of girls I knew and later with a bunch of friends in our early twenty's. I loved it.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,110 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Joe...so very sorry to hear about your pup...kudos to you for doing the right thing and not letting her suffer. It's a shame you couldn't get a vet to make a home visit to administer the shot. We're lucky to have a few vets around here that will do that for you.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
good evening Pa
sorry to hear about your dog soondg-I hate losing animals

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Originally Posted by soondg
Now I have to go around picking up the stuff for Carlisle. I've only found one table so far, I called a friend of my wifes who works at a hotel to see if I can borrow some of theirs, no response yet. If need be I'll round up some saw horses and plywood , or a few blank doors, whatever works. we are a truck club and should be able to improvise and modify stuff
First let me just say I'm sorry to hear about the dog.

Second - this part of this post reminded me that I haven't been able to track down a PA flag for the weekend...does anyone have access to one?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Just wanted to say sorry about your dog. Hope you are doing ok.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
site 139 at western village for me...

Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
sorry to hear about your dog. its hard to loose one. im going through kinda the same thing. i have two and there staying with a friend while im deployed. just found out last week that my oldest got hit by a truck. the guy didnt even stop! its a good thing i wasnt there because i carry. someone would have a hole bunch of holes in there truck! so i feel your pain. by the way, im new to this site but originally from Emporium PA. stationed at Holloman AFB Nm, and currently in Iraq.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Holla. Be safe over there and come home in one piece dude. Presume you are in the AF?

Quick Reply: The Pa. Chapters August Bull Thread/ Almost anything goes.