1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced ball joints, now getting trailer sway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know I just reread your first post
How long was that 1 tire on the truck before getting the other 3 new ?
If you have any difference in the diameter of that tire to the others it will make the truck steer towards that tire.
If that older tire is in the front and it was aligned it very well be causing this.
Do you have a spare that has not been on the truck at all that matches with the other three ?
Just throwing this out there .
rich

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe something else negative was done when they replaced them. The only way they could affect the swaying is beacause you are constantly correcting as you are driving so there is a slight jerk each time you correct. My gut feeling is that it is not the BJs. Did you make any tire changes? Running E rated hopefully.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FortyFords
You know I just reread your first post
How long was that 1 tire on the truck before getting the other 3 new ?
If you have any difference in the diameter of that tire to the others it will make the truck steer towards that tire.
If that older tire is in the front and it was aligned it very well be causing this.
Do you have a spare that has not been on the truck at all that matches with the other three ?
Just throwing this out there .
rich
Before and after I replaced the ball joints I had one newer tire on the rear. The other three tires were pretty worn. (About a year and a half ago I got a nail in a sidewall, so I replaced one tire)

A few weeks after I replaced the ball joints, I bought three new tires. I moved the worn tire (now 50% worn) to the front.

I could easily see why one might think its the tires seeing as how I've got mismatched tires in the front, but the issue occured before I got new tires.

I am getting the worn tire replaced though - it has some dry rot so Pirelli is replacing it. Just waiting to see how the pro rate will work and if I have to send it back to Tire Rack, I'll get a phone call with the details tomorrow.

EXv10, yes they are E Rated. They are the OEM Pirelli Scorpions.

I probably am constantly correcting, but only when there are discrepancies in the road. On smooth highways I have minimal issues - at least with the sway control cranked up. I think I have minor issues on any road, but even these slight movements are causing some sway.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 PM
propp172
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on dodges there steering gets super loose if they fall even slightly out of alighnment my grandfather has a 2000 dodge diesel and his steering wnders aimlessly even after being alighned because there was play in other parts besides the ball joints

Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Again, I doubt the problem is the ball joints. I've been using Moog for many years without a problem. Could be steering box going bad. The reason I say that is you said you are correcting even with the truck empty. Loose wheel bearings would cause wander, any steering part that is worn such as idler arm, tie rod, etc will cause wander. Fords are known to have steering box problems when they get some miles on them. Usually when the steering gear goes bad it's more like it darts from side to side on its own and constant correction is needed to keep it straight. There have been some threads on this condition posted not that long ago.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
Again, I doubt the problem is the ball joints. I've been using Moog for many years without a problem. Could be steering box going bad. The reason I say that is you said you are correcting even with the truck empty. Loose wheel bearings would cause wander, any steering part that is worn such as idler arm, tie rod, etc will cause wander. Fords are known to have steering box problems when they get some miles on them. Usually when the steering gear goes bad it's more like it darts from side to side on its own and constant correction is needed to keep it straight. There have been some threads on this condition posted not that long ago.

I'll definitely check out the steering box, but wouldn't it have already been bad before I put in the ball joints?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Probably so. In the mid 90's I replaced the ball joints, wheel bearings, and every other steering part that I thought could have been the cause of the same problem that you are experiencing on a 88 F250 4x4 I owned. Nothing that I did cured the problem. In fact what I thought was wander became darting from side to side with no input to the steering wheel. It became gradually and steadily worse. Finally I replaced the steering gear and the problem went away. Most of the stuff I put in would probably been ok to go another 20-30,000 miles. But since I was doing the work myself, I was only out the money I spent on the extra parts instead of parts and labor both. I still had less money than if I would have taken it to a shop to fix.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Yes which leads me back to; something was negatively changed when they put the BJs in.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Greg B
Probably so. In the mid 90's I replaced the ball joints, wheel bearings, and every other steering part that I thought could have been the cause of the same problem that you are experiencing on a 88 F250 4x4 I owned. Nothing that I did cured the problem. In fact what I thought was wander became darting from side to side with no input to the steering wheel. It became gradually and steadily worse. Finally I replaced the steering gear and the problem went away. Most of the stuff I put in would probably been ok to go another 20-30,000 miles. But since I was doing the work myself, I was only out the money I spent on the extra parts instead of parts and labor both. I still had less money than if I would have taken it to a shop to fix.
That sounds like a spool valve problem in the PS box. Mine darted on it's own like that but I cured it with a new PS pump witch gave more pressure to overcome it.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Yes which leads me back to; something was negatively changed when they put the BJs in.

I've got to believe that is the case. But what did we break?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
A lot of parts are disturbed when you put BJs in so you will just have to inspect all of them. Jack the front up and have someone turn the wheel while someone else inspects.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Most probably ball joints are pressed in correctly. If they are seated they're ok. Possibly spindle not tightened, wheel bearings loose or worn, Tie rods loose or worn, hubs (if 4x4) not properly installed. You need to back track and double check every component that was disturbed for ball joint replacement. If everything is ok, then move to steering pump or gear.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you use car tires on a trailer instead of trailer tires it can cause sway or fishtailing.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Yes bias ply trailer tires allow much less side (squishy) movement than radial tires. Michelin invented radial tires in 1948.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
If you use car tires on a trailer instead of trailer tires it can cause sway or fishtailing.
I've got radial trailer specific tires - one of the higher end options due to the OEM ones blowing out. Can't think of the brand off the top of my head.

Remember, the trailer had the same tires on it prior to me having these issues.

Quick Reply: Replaced ball joints, now getting trailer sway