6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

03/ Early 04 ICP Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Rick Smit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im still amazed that my truck bogged then started stalling. I get online, describe problem to google and get the correct answer from Ford Truck Enthusiast forums. Then im given options on how and what to replace as per my needs. All this and i never even registered.

My truck is running great (for now) and im happier then a pig in mud. I got raped for the parts from Koons Ford of Annapolis. But we are a 2 car family for a reason and didn't have time to wait on shipping that i couldn't even order till after labor day weekend. I was stuck like chuck for the parts.

ICP sensor $175
Pigtail $83
------------------
$258

12x16 tarp $26 (rained from start to finish)
Trick of the day:
Borrowed a boogie board to lay across battery radiator area to lay on.
Put 2x6's on laid down cinder blocks across front and along drivers side fender.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,448 Likes on 2,121 Posts
Stick around Rick, you might enjoy the place.... Welcome to FTE

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Stick around Rick, you might enjoy the place.... Welcome to FTE
What do you mean "might"?

Good idea with the boogie board Rick.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
pdj57
New User
icp sensor swap

I have an '03 f-250 diesel with about 21.5K on it, and several months ago the engine light came on so I have not driven it much. I got a replacement icp sensor, and read john 11139's instructions, got the heat shield off, but can't get to what I think might be the icp. Is it facing the back of the truck or facing the driver's side of the truck. If it's facing the back of the truck, I can't get to it. It's just too far up. If it's facing the driver's side of the truck, I haven't located it. When i read the instructions, I thought if it was not too far from the right side 10mm bolt, I should be able to get to it easily. Lighting is a problem. Also, I haven't access to a lift, so I am crawling around under the truck. I am praying that it's within reach of my arm. John 11139 can you assist me?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Rick Smit
New User
Its facing drivers side door hinge basically. Stick your hand up there and feel for a heavily insulated wire heading from drivers side towards center top rear of engine. The wrapping will be foil like covering on top of sensor. You need to grab that and slide it back on the wire to expose sensor to view. Try to be nice to foil so you can re-use it. Heat is suspect in causing this problem.

If you are replacing this sensor based on an engine light, its a true roll of the dice for success. Low anti-freeze will make that thing come on.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
pdj57
New User
icp sensor swap

I finally go the sensor replaced. It took 3 weekends to get the heat shield off, locate the sensor; It took yesterday, and today to figure out hoe to bet it out, snd replaced. I had to raise the front end of the truck before I had enough room to free up my arms to get into position to remove it. Then I had to cut an inch of a deep 1 1/16in ratchet socket to remove the icp. Now having the devil trying to get the heat shield back on. If anyone has some experience with this, I would really appreciate it. I've tried every way I could to replace it but it's so far stumped me.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Rick Smit
New User
I'm just asking this to help you speed up the response you will get from someone who has r&r'ed the heat shield.

Are you having trouble getting the heat shield back in place, or getting the bolts started?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
pdj57
New User
heat shield'03 f250 6.0l diesel

I'm having trouble getting the heat shield in place, to put in the screws. I can get the shield up there but can't get the holes lined up to screw them in. Can't get the contoured shield flat up against the back of the engine the was it was before I removed it..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 AM
chadley
New User
I just finished replacing my ICP and the instructions were great.

I used a 1 1/16 deep socket and I stuffed a little bit of paper towel into it to fill the excess gap. Seemed to work fine. I aso wrapped the socket knuckle with duct tape to make it more rigid.

The hardest part for me was reconnecting the lead to the new sensor, my fat stubby fingers could barely reach.

Also a note - Make sure you disconnect the 2 rear injector connectors BEFORE you remove the rear intake standoff, otherwise you may crack the connector with the wrench as I did.

Thanks for the great instructions

Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 AM
pdj57
New User
icp sensor swap

thx, i was able to change the icp

Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
john11139
Junior User
Fellows: If you follow my instructions it is not that hard. I am over 70 years old and if I can do it, then you can. You dont need a hoist. Doing it on a cement floor, or blacktop is alot eaiser that trying to slide around on the dirt. Just get every thing prepared like I said in eairler post. Get the truck jacked up and sitting on jack stands. You dont need 6ft arms to do it. One of the little things that will save you time (and many of you are having a problem here by the posts) Cut the head off of a 10mm spare bolt, so that when you go back together, dont try to mount the heat shield without first inserting this stud, because you cannot look up there and see with your hands up there. Screw the stud in a couple of turns. Set the heat shield on that stud, start the bolt opn the other side, then remove the stud and install the other bolt. You need a trouble light but most of the work is by feel and if you take your light and looks first before you put your hands up. You cannot work, and hold the light too. I think there is too much to remove by doing it from the top, and too hard laying across the engine, plus too much to remove to get to it, overflow bottle, ecm, wireing harness etc. That little clip on the plug of the ICP is not that hard to flip with your fingers. If you do it from the bottom you must use a cut down 1 1/16 box wrench and not a socket. I guess the hardest thing I had trouble with is that the tape that holds the insulating sleeve on had come off and I had trouble keeping it up on the harness to hook it back up.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM
crash68
6th Gear
Thanks William for all your pictures and help. Would have never found it with out the great details. Changed it out today and truck is running great. I did almost everything you said on your post, but when I went to put the new sensor in with the hose I didn't have much luck. I went from under neath and started it in by reaching up and finding the hole with my finger and screwed it in, then went back up top and tighten it with the socket rig. I think I might of been able to get it in and out from the bottom if the truck was on a lift, it could be done with out taking anything off. I think you can get a socket on it from the bottom, take if off and install the new one in under 30 minutes. Live and learn, thanks again for your great pictures.

Scott

Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
Originally Posted by grif95
Great write-up!

I am currently faced with the P2285 code and wanted to double check the part number(s) prior to ordering. My truck is a 2004 (7/2003 build date) and it appears I am fortunate (insert sarcasm here) enough to have the rear location ICP sensor. Correct me if I am wrong, from what I have been reading it appears I will need the Sensor (3c3z-9f838-ea) and the Pigtail (5c3z-12224-a) to correct the problem.....are these the correct part #'s for my application?

Also, I found the sensor for $99.99 and the pigtail for $24.99 (+ S/H)..... does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance!!
Where did you find the pigtale

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
taxidermist
New User
what is the sensor right in front of the ICP that i snapped off?

UGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Rob

Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Well if your ICP is under the turbo then it is most likely the IPR valve . If it is on the valve cover then not sure . Mine is 03 ICP under turbo on my valve cover is glow plug thingy. If you broke the IPR , how in the hell did you manage that.

Quick Reply: 03/ Early 04 ICP Swap