1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:38 PM
PIFD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is everyone running?

Looking for a good wheel and tire size to go with on a 55 F2. What is everyone running? F100 guys dont hesitaie to post what you got the f1 and f2 look basically the same anyway. I'm going to stay stock suspension and ride heigth. I'm wanting to fill up the wheel wells as much as possiable without having any turning or rubbing concerns and dont want to do any modification's to make something fit. Pics would be cool too.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
No such thing as 55 F2. Ford stopped using the F1, 2, 3 model designation in 52. 53 on the 1/2T was F100, 3/4T was F250, 1T was F350. Size tire/wheel depends on what axles/bolt pattern you are using and the look you are after. The 250 (and the express bed 100) had a longer wheelbase, and the 250, 350 fenders had larger wheel openings so look better with a larger wheel/tire to fill up the space.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
PIFD
New User
Yea i understand they changed it and it's a 250. Just using slang for less typing i will be more technical next time for you!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can use just about anything in the way of an 8 lug steel or aluminum wheel with the correct back spacing, and stud spread. I have 235/85/R16s on my 01 Dodge. Pretty tall tire, would probably fill the fender well just fine. Got to a local tire shop and look at the selection. Personally, I'd stay with the stock ones, because the trucks just don't look right with too much tire in them. I think they actually become quite ugly with too much tire, but that's my opinion.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFD
Yea i understand they changed it and it's a 250. Just using slang for less typing i will be more technical next time for you!
It really does make a difference if we can actually figure out what kind of truck you are talking about. Slang at the expense of laziness may work in some places, but if you want accurate help on your truck, accurate descriptions work better.

"Garbage in, garbage out."

Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
We also assume that if one person has a question there are others out there that have a similar question who will read the post now or in the future and may be confused, as in was that meant for an F2 or F250? It may not make a whole hill of beans to this topic, but it could make a significant difference in another topic. Sorry if I offended you in some way, but after a number of years here I know that many are very confused as to what they have.
This is really a very friendly informative place, with a lot of very knowlegable people willing to help anyone with a question. Many have very specialized areas of expertise, especially when it comes to bonus builts, mid fifties, and refrigerators, as well as big jobs. If you specify what model/mods(?) you are asking about in detail, you are much more likely to be answered by someone intimately familiar with that truck and/or mod.
Sit back, relax and enjoy our little corner of the internet.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ax racer you have a cooler head than I do, very diplomatic,this is a great site with some very knowledgeable folks, appreciated by most.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
PIFD
New User
I have had good help in the past but not so much this time around. 1 person had some useful info for me. The rest of you just wanted to jump on me for what they thought was a negative comment and all i meet by it was i will be more Technical on what I'm talking about. You guys need to calm down i think we got some computer tough guys around here.(You got a cooler head than I do) OHHH I'm Shaking!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
PFID,
Please check the attitude at the door, and you'll get a lot more help around here. I'm sorry not more people gave you the answer you were looking for,but it was difficult to determine exactly what you wanted to know from your first post. Some of us do have a life outside the computer screen and if they read the first post in a new topic and don't understand the question or don't feel like they have an answer to offer they will not read it again. That's why it is important to ask questions that include all the details needed in the first post.
Now, why don't you take a break, sip a cold frosty and come back and ask again.
I'm not real sure you'll get many more answers tho because a lot of us here have replaced the drivetrain with later model 1/2T axles and hubs or IFS converting the 3/4T and 1T to a more common 5 bolt car or truck pattern to have a much wider choice of wheel and tire sizes (as well as rear axle ratios) than with the 8 bolt hubs.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
tempforce
Senior User
i'm planning on using the stock sized wheel for a f-100. 15x5.5 wide with a wide white wall tire. tire sized to fit look and stance of truck. lowered about one inch.
i'm hopeing to find stock chrome wheels, so i can use stock hub caps and trim rings.
i want the truck to look almost stock from the outside. except the bamboo flooring bed strips with stainless hold downs. and dual fuel tanks under the sides of the cab/bed.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Seems to me, that this thread blew up over a simple technical error. Got a little testy from all sides. Perhaps, every one involved needs to sit back and relax, and let the good times roll. Yes, it's an F-250, we've determined that, by the year, and the owner owning to a technical oversight during typing. Oh well, life goes on. Lots of people call their F-100s F-150s. Sure, in the world of old Ford truck owners, we call them by what they are, or many times, the "F" designation is silenced (not cool). But hey, who cares. So, maybe for future reference, yeah, actual designation can avoid some initial confusion for future thread searchers. No reason to get all uptight over a minor detail like that. Just my $.02 worth, since I'm not in a cranky, pot stirring mood this month.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Besides, if we all wanted to be real technical in everything, there are no '51 F-100s, and Ford Motor Company has always used a hyphen ( - ) between model and size designations in their vehicles. Does make a little bit of difference, if we call them what they actually are........

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
blueflat
Freshman User
Hey , similar question! Looking for 16" rims for 53- 250, am putting 69 250 rear on, but should be same. Have been told all ford wheels for 250 16" 8 bolt up to '97 will work. Looking for chrome or alum. Or other ideas welcome. Getting excited, lit up the rebuilt flattie last week, sounds like a sewing machine. thanks