1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake linnings???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
John - NNY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake linnings???

I found a two sets of NOS brake shoes. They appear to be the woven type. I have heard that . . .

"Woven linings should only be used on the original steel drums. Do not use woven on cast iron drums. Use bonded brake lining on cast iron drums. Do not use bonded linings on steel drums. Mismatching brake materials on the steel & cast iron drums will cause an assortment of braking problems, but the most disasterous problem is severe brake fade when the linings are used with the wrong drums."

Does anyone have more info on this? Are these linning considered to be the woven type? This is for my 1930 AA.

John
NNY

Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm- never heard of this before. Every brake drum I've ever seen is cast. But maybe in 1930, they used steel drums - don't know, but I'll bump this up for you.

Edit note: Here is a better picture of Woven linings:

And molded linings:

I would say you need to decide (or express to us) what your drums are.

Here's a manufacturer that says yo ucan use the woven linings in almost all applications, but I'll let you check it out:

http://www.frictionproducts.com/brakelinings.html#woven

Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
"NOS" in the strict sense means Ford original equipment replacement parts. If these were Ford parts there would be no question they are OK. What you've found is just old stock of aftermarket parts. I would be very certain they contain asbestos, if that concerns you. I'm with Julie, I can't think of any steel drums ever used for brakes, but maybe in '30 they did? Are you sure the comments on wovens aren't about the band-type transmissions used on old Fords?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In thinking about this a little, I think that steel brake "drums" were/are used on non automotive pieces of heavy equipment that are usually also aided by (and incorporated into) heavy flywheels - like concrete pulverizers or large generators. And they would b eused in lieu of cast to prevent any wear and strength (being very expensive to replace) But I would think they are much too hard for automotive use - cast is pretty soft.

In this case, like Ross said, if these are designated for automotive use, you are probably ok. I doubt very seriously your 1930 AA has steel drums.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
John - NNY
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
"NOS" in the strict sense means Ford original equipment replacement parts. If these were Ford parts there would be no question they are OK. What you've found is just old stock of aftermarket parts. I would be very certain they contain asbestos, if that concerns you. I'm with Julie, I can't think of any steel drums ever used for brakes, but maybe in '30 they did? Are you sure the comments on wovens aren't about the band-type transmissions used on old Fords?
You are absolutely correct about them not being NOS. I stand corrected. They are actually from Montgomery Wards. It must be OK because the box says "supreme quality" right on it. Can't get any guarantee better than that. I was able to get four sets, enough to do two trucks front and rear, for $50. That sure beats paying the suppliers $300 for linnings to do one truck. My drums are definately cast iron. I have heard of earlier brake drums being stamped steel although I have never seen one.

John
NNY

Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM
John - NNY
Senior User
Did some more research. The brake linnings are 'Thermoid' linnings meaning that they are pressure molded with hard rubber. The Thermoid type linnings were used through the 50's as far as I can tell. They shoud work out great without any problems.

John
NNY