General Automotive Discussion

Nascar fans-Wanna rub fenders...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nascar fans-Wanna rub fenders...

... with this guy at 200 mph+ in a pack? Not me. I mean, Mayfield is a nice guy and all, but.......http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/head....ap/index.html
And then, http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/head...ked/index.html

I think Joe Nemececk said it best- "He has his own stuff". It's a wonder why nobody will give the guy a ride.

Guess who's not going to be racing at Daytona this week......

Pete

Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Right on Pete!!! If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....well you know the rest. He and his attornies can say what they want but he's done in my book!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read that. Not sure how you could test positive for meth two times if you've never done it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
mitchntx
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Right on Pete!!! If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....well you know the rest. He and his attornies can say what they want but he's done in my book!

U.S. District Court Judge Graham Mullen concluded the "likelihood of a false positive in this case is quite substantial."

If Mayfield used the drug at the levels NASCAR has suggested, Diehl suggested Mayfield would be "either a walking zombie or he's dead.

NASCAR attorney Paul Hendrick said the "massive amounts" of methamphetamines in the drug sample indicate Mayfield's claim is a "statement that's simply not true."

I'm not a Mayfield fan. Never have thought he was that gret of a driver or personality.

I am a HUGE fan of Big Brother getting put in their place.

NASCAR's attorney characterised the test results as "massive amounts" which lends merit to Mayfield's attourney's response "either a walking zombie or he's dead".

I work closely with my company's Fitness For Duty group and the appeal process is there to make sure a worker isn't falsely accused and subsequently harmed.

Being quick to judge, like Mr. Powerstroke72 has done, is exactly the reason for it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
mitchntx
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1ATony
I read that. Not sure how you could test positive for meth two times if you've never done it.
They tested the same sample, if I read the article correctly ... not 2 different samplings.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mitchntx
They tested the same sample, if I read the article correctly ... not 2 different samplings.
I getcha, I was hoping that all of this was some kind of mistake. He didn't seem like a bad guy or anything, he seemed to interview well.This is kinda messed up.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
I'm not a Mayfield fan. Never have thought he was that gret of a driver or personality.

I am a HUGE fan of Big Brother getting put in their place.

NASCAR's attorney characterised the test results as "massive amounts" which lends merit to Mayfield's attourney's response "either a walking zombie or he's dead".

I work closely with my company's Fitness For Duty group and the appeal process is there to make sure a worker isn't falsely accused and subsequently harmed.

Being quick to judge, like Mr. Powerstroke72 has done, is exactly the reason for it.
Well, Mr. Mitchntx, perhaps you'd like to share with us your vast experience dealing with meth users. I'd love to hear of your experiences and then compare them to the real world in which I deal with meth users on a daily basis. I deal with meth users that have massive amounts in their systems that are neither walking dead nor zombies.

So, please share you vast experience with us.....enlighten us. I definitely wouldn't want to be on a track racing a guy that has even a hint of that crap in his system regardless.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
mitchntx
Senior User
No experience with meth heads, just a lot with keyboard warriors. But please do enlighten me with yours.

I hate to see a life ruined because corporate America (and you) are quick to pass judgement.

Ever been on track? The most sane and coherent of individuals can be an ***-hat on track. It doesn't take meth to be a menace. Wiki "Kyle Bush" ...

So bail off your high horse and wait for truth and justice instead of hanging your hat on rumor and legal posturing.

If Mayfield is a meth-head, it will happen soon enough. Till then, no public lynchings ...

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Yes I do have daily experience with meth heads, tweakers, crack-heads, you name it, I deal with it. There is no public lynching going on here. I'm not on any high horse. Perhaps, since you have such a high opinion of this perceived behavior, you have experienced this yourself or participated in it. Yes, I've been on track before and it's bad enough that I would not want a meth-head on track with me.

Unlike you, I won't resort to name-calling. Obviously, that's the only way you know how to get a point across. And as far as a life ruined goes, I believe the FTE forum is the least of his worries right now and not much chance we'll ruin anything for him he hasn't already ruined himself.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

So he tested positive for meth from "Sample A".... and the results from "Sample B"? It doesn't say positive or negative. If he tested positive once, and only once.... they've jumped the gun. Ask any scientist: "good data" is repeatable & verifiable. Repeatable.... what was the methodology used in the testing?

So here are my questions:

1) How quickly does meth work its way out of your system?
2) How many tests were done in each sample?
3) Has he been re-tested since?

Maybe I'm too simplistic, but the story posted does not have enough detail for me to label the guy a meth-head. Besides, don't most people watch NASCAR for the crashes anyway? They're just going in circles.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
mitchntx
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Yes I do have daily experience with meth heads, tweakers, crack-heads, you name it, I deal with it. There is no public lynching going on here. I'm not on any high horse. Perhaps, since you have such a high opinion of this perceived behavior, you have experienced this yourself or participated in it. Yes, I've been on track before and it's bad enough that I would not want a meth-head on track with me.

Unlike you, I won't resort to name-calling. Obviously, that's the only way you know how to get a point across. And as far as a life ruined goes, I believe the FTE forum is the least of his worries right now and not much chance we'll ruin anything for him he hasn't already ruined himself.
Daily experience, huh? No wonder you have such a dismal look on the world.

Name calling? Where did I call you names? I just disagreed with your quick assessment based upon what we've both read ... read, not actually witnessed or interfaced with.

LOL at your attempt to label me a meth head ...

You seem awefully quick to point fingers. Are you paranoid? Isn't that a sign of a meth head? Are you on meth?

See how quickly it can spiral out of control based upon almost no evidence.

Chill out ... in America folks are allowed to disagree with you.

Originally Posted by papadelogan
So he tested positive for meth from "Sample A".... and the results from "Sample B"? It doesn't say positive or negative. If he tested positive once, and only once.... they've jumped the gun. Ask any scientist: "good data" is repeatable & verifiable. Repeatable.... what was the methodology used in the testing?

Maybe I'm too simplistic, but the story posted does not have enough detail for me to label the guy a meth-head. Besides, don't most people watch NASCAR for the crashes anyway? They're just going in circles.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by papadelogan

It's more than just driving in circles.You're going 195 MPH beating on the guys bumper in front of you. There's allot that goes into driving these cars and winning races.

You have to rely on your spotter to tell you when it's safe to pass because you can't see a darn thing in these cars. You have to pit correctly if you miss the stall or it takes the crew more than 14 sec to service the car you've just gone back 4-5 spots out on the field, also the driver and crew chief have to really be able to translate data between each other to make proper adjustments to move through the pack.A good example of this is Earnhardt. His new crew chief walks him through every step of the way around that track.He tells him when to turn the blowers on to what tire to cool the brakes and when to turn them off.It really is a ton of stuff.

And yes seeing Martin Truex Jr. standing in turn 1 getting ready to chuck a helmit at Kyle is just icing on the cake.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Daily experience, huh? No wonder you have such a dismal look on the world...

He's a cop & realist, as well as a contributing member. Nobody in his place can help but veiw the stuation with a jaundiced eye with his exposure to the problem of meth.

Any hoo...

I understand that the second sample was in an open condition & thus, even if it tests clean or dirty, it cannot be used as a definitive peice of evidence.

I also understand that with some of the meds he has taken can be construed as giving a false postive.

At any rate having had more contact with meth heads than I care to have had, I think there is too much of a rush to judgment as well. NASCAR is struggling to be seen as infalliable in its judgment & Mayfield is fighting pretty darn hard for a guilty guy.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM
mitchntx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scndsin
He's a cop
Thanks for the info. I actually figured as much.

Like stated above, I work closely with my company's FFD group which are comprised mostly of ex-patrol and detective officers.

Each and every one of them have told me in casual conversation that when they realized they couldn't drive down the street without passing judgement on people, it was time for them to find something else to do.

PS72, I'm sure you are a great person and a great policeman. I wouldn't trade professions with you for anything. God Bless you for what you do for me and others.

Please realize that in your first post you condemned a person based upon nothing more than something posted on the internet. Is that how you conduct yourself in real life?

I actually doubt it.

Back on topic ...

Had the 2nd sample been conclusive, we wouldn't be posting in this thread. Because it wasn't, it brings into question the 1st. It's the system in place to not only protect the other drivers, but protect all the drivers as well.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't test for meth and accidentally get a positive result.... YES more thesting should have been done if the second test came out inconclusive. BUT that dose not change the result of the first test...

Quick Reply: Nascar fans-Wanna rub fenders...