1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs PSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exiled
Now I have to disagree w/ you. The PSD has the advantage. Its advantage is in the weight and in the tq and where the tq is made. There is no reason in the world to compare the v10 and PSD performace wise. This is a clear test of the 2 engines. Cause in this what if question we can deam that both trucks hook up to ground w/ good traction we can expext the PSD to pull the v10 for the shear TQ numbers and a meer 2,200 rpms. When you gun your v10 to get to your power band your doing se
veral things to your truck that robs power. The main thing is your flexing the frame which chances the traction bite. I don't have to twist my truck in a not to render 500+ ftlbtq. I've pulled a few cocky v10 and never break a sweat. I've notice in this thread and others like it that the v10 challengers just talk about pulling a 10k trailer a certain distancve the fgastest. I would just shake your hand and sit on my tailgate. That's just a race and my PSD is'nt fast at all. Let's talk about this, I have a 38' gooseneck trailer that I pull 18000-20000 lbs of hay on w/ my PSD. Nbow let's talk about who will out pull who on what day. Read my post or come out to the farm. I abuse my fords. I work the crap of them.the v10 and PSD where built to do 2 different things. Let's not confuse them as being on the same playing ground. Brang your stock v10 and I bet real early in the day you will either. Refuse to hook up to the task or quit.
IMO, I used my V10 for about the most it should be used for, around 12-13k lbs gooseneck, and it was only 36'. I didn't tow that often, and the truck really needed quite a few RPM's to tow it up the mountain. I got around 6 mpg towing in the mountains. Certainly if I was towing regularly, a PSD would be the choice, if I was towing 18-20k (which is well beyond the V10's recommended limit) I would use a PSD, if I was towing for long distances I would use a PSD. I was not doing any of those though, so I didn't use a PSD.

As for hooking up to your trailer and pulling, I have no problem believing the powertrain could handle it, it's the rest of the truck. Those kind of loads really require a dually, or at very least a F350. With a 20,000 lb gooseneck, you're looking at over a 4,000 tongue weight, my payload was less than 3,000 lbs, I would destroy my springs after just a few tows, regardless if I had a PSD or V10. Sorry, that is just not work cut out for a F250.

And sorry, I have to disagree with the statement that the V10 is going to flex the frame more than a PSD. That just flat is not true. Torque twists the frame, not horsepower. Which engine has more low end torque? If anything, that is an advantage to the V10, but honestly neither engine is going to flex the frame of a super duty.

However, if you still think the V10 can't do it, try explaining why it is now found in the F750? I bet that can out tow your PSD...

Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Well I only found 1 word miss spelled. If my spelling is the only thing you disagree w/ then I'm not doing to bad. I try I really do. I even use a spell check.
Now I have to disagree w/ you. The PSD has the advantage. Its advantage is in the weight and in the tq and where the tq is made. There is no reason in the world to compare the v10 and PSD performace wise. This is a clear test of the 2 engines. Cause in this what if question we can deam that both trucks hook up to ground w/ good traction we can expext the PSD to pull the v10 for the shear TQ numbers and a meer 2,200 rpms. When you gun your v10 to get to your power band your doing se
veral things to your truck that robs power. The main thing is your flexing the frame which chances the traction bite. I don't have to twist my truck in a not to render 500+ ftlbtq. I've pulled a few cocky v10 and never break a sweat. I've notice in this thread and others like it that the v10 challengers just talk about pulling a 10k trailer a certain distancve the fgastest. I would just shake your hand and sit on my tailgate. That's just a race and my PSD is'nt fast at all. Let's talk about this, I have a 38' gooseneck trailer that I pull 18000-20000 lbs of hay on w/ my PSD. Nbow let's talk about who will out pull who on what day. Read my post or come out to the farm. I abuse my fords. I work the crap of them.the v10 and PSD where built to do 2 different things. Let's not confuse them as being on the same playing ground. Brang your stock v10 and I bet real early in the day you will either. Refuse to hook up to the task or quit.
I don't doubt that your try, but here is what the sites spell check came up with:
performace
expext
deam
distancve
fgastest
is'nt
Nbow
Brang

Doesn't really matter to me, but whatever.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM
jojolima
Junior User
Now guys, can't we all be friends. They are both good powerplants. Each has a spot on the driveway!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's talk about this, I have a 38' gooseneck trailer that I pull 18000-20000 lbs of hay on w/ my PSD. Nbow let's talk about who will out pull who on what day. Read my post or come out to the farm. I abuse my fords. I work the crap of them.the v10 and PSD where built to do 2 different things. Let's not confuse them as being on the same playing ground. Brang your stock v10 and I bet real early in the day you will either. Refuse to hook up to the task or quit.

Me? Say no to hitching up to something or quiting?
You don't even want to know the stuff my trucks have to live with.
I'll pull loaded class 8 trucks around for a day if you want.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
What does "Hetro" mean?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I don't doubt that your try, but here is what the sites spell check came up with:
performace
expext
deam
distancve
fgastest
is'nt
Nbow
Brang

Doesn't really matter to me, but whatever.
I'm still trying to figure out what "hetro" means....The only thing I can think she was trying to say was "Hetero", which is short for Heterosexual....In a comment immediately after correcting someone else for spelling errors... I'm joking, but hey, there are many people who adopt the holier-than-thou approach around here and throw rocks in a glass house.

Diesel, FTW!!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
As for hooking up to your trailer and pulling, I have no problem believing the powertrain could handle it, it's the rest of the truck. Those kind of loads really require a dually, or at very least a F350. With a 20,000 lb gooseneck, you're looking at over a 4,000 tongue weight, my payload was less than 3,000 lbs, I would destroy my springs after just a few tows, regardless if I had a PSD or V10. Sorry, that is just not work cut out for a F250.
Then you'd need to buy an F150....

Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
You mean like a game of pool or what? I'm not much on blind dates, and besides, I'm married and confidently hetro. You northwest guys sure have some wierd fantasies. Must be all the rain...
New turn in the discussion? Since the 500 pages drained all the silly stuff we could say about gas v/s diesel, now we can talk West Coast v/s East Coast, or North v/s South?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bill11012
Me? Say no to hitching up to something or quiting?
You don't even want to know the stuff my trucks have to live with.
I'll pull loaded class 8 trucks around for a day if you want.
Without going back 8-million pages to find out, what year is your truck?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One is a 98 E350. 4R100 3.73 2wd
other is an 01 F350. zf 5 3.73 4x4

Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
Then you'd need to buy an F150....
No thanks, had 3 of them already. I also experienced the spring degradation on 1 of them. I could get in the back of it and jump and almost hit the bump stops with an empty bed... I only weigh 170 lbs.

It was funny though, I noticed the truck was squatting more with loads of gravel then when I bought it new. I took it to Ford and they said they couldn't find a problem. So I put 1500 lbs of gravel in it, drove it for a week untill it road on the bump stops, took it in and showed them, then they replaced the springs. It was rated to have a payload of 2080lbs, so I didn't overload it either.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
I'm still trying to figure out what "hetro" means....The only thing I can think she was trying to say was "Hetero", which is short for Heterosexual....In a comment immediately after correcting someone else for spelling errors... I'm joking, but hey, there are many people who adopt the holier-than-thou approach around here and throw rocks in a glass house.

Diesel, FTW!!
I'm the last one to talk about spelling, mine sucks. But I do realize when the red squiggly line appears under a word, it's misspelled. But honestly I read her post without a problem, so I don't care.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Jrfish007
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
New turn in the discussion? ... North v/s South?

Last time that came up, there was war...

Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
No thanks, had 3 of them already. I also experienced the spring degradation on 1 of them. I could get in the back of it and jump and almost hit the bump stops with an empty bed... I only weigh 170 lbs.

It was funny though, I noticed the truck was squatting more with loads of gravel then when I bought it new. I took it to Ford and they said they couldn't find a problem. So I put 1500 lbs of gravel in it, drove it for a week untill it road on the bump stops, took it in and showed them, then they replaced the springs. It was rated to have a payload of 2080lbs, so I didn't overload it either.
Mine was rated for 1280lbs as it was a 4X4 Screw...It squatted with 840lbs of rock, along with a toolbox and a Rhino Liner...It was overloaded in that configuration. It was a heavy truck with a full tank of fuel, and was undersprung for that weight. When I got rid of it you could open the tailgate, bounce up and down and make it hit the stops. I'm glad (sad) someone else on here has gone through it too. They gave me a good deal for it (it was already paid off) and said they'd do the springs/shocks/etc under warranty before selling it. I saw it on the lot the very next day...

Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
I'm the last one to talk about spelling, mine sucks. But I do realize when the red squiggly line appears under a word, it's misspelled. But honestly I read her post without a problem, so I don't care.
I understood both of the posts...(Hers and His) I was just pointing out it's not nice to point out one's spelling errors, then make one yourself on the very next post.

Quick Reply: Gas vs PSD