1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
uc4me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft question

I am getting to the point that my 55 will be needing a driveshaft. Its got a 429/C6 combo with a 28 spline 9 inch rearend. I was planning on trying to find another driveshaft and have it cut to the proper length.

Anyone have any reccomendations on what I should be looking at for a doner driveshaft?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,893 Likes on 1,863 Posts
Pretty much anything will work. I put a 500ci Cadillac and TH400 in my 49 with a 9" rear. When I was doing my driveline I contacted the local drivline shop and asked them what measurements they needed. I took all the measurements from my truck along with the donor driveline and slip yoke to them and they hacked it up and welded it all back together. I think it cost me about $150 if I remember right.

For consistancy (and ease of remembering later on) you might try and find a driveline where the front "U" joint is the same dimensions as the yoke on your 9". That way if you ever have to replace the "U" joints in the future you will only need to remember one size....lol

Bobby

Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Measure the U-joint cross-section length(the yokes from C6 and 9") and hold a tape measure roughly center to center of the U-bolts in the yokes for an overall length, and then we might have a better idea. I know I have several shafts I can measure from to get a good idea what to look for in the JY. If you have a slip yoke that slides into the C6, then slide it in about half way for the length measurement.