6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Questions about the FICM

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
1957F100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the FICM

Hey guys. Ive got a buddy at work that owns a 2004 Ford F350. He bought the truck brand new in 04 and immediately put a predator tuner on it. Alittle while later he blew his head gaskets. Had them replaced under warranty. Kept running the predator and many kilometers later while towing he blew his motor(dont know the details). Ford found out he was running the predator and denied his warranty so he paid ford to install a new motor. He tells me they installed a 05 motor.

Now a week ago on his way to work his truck stumbled, missed and blew black smoke. We checked the truck for codes and one came up regarding the FICM. Cleared the codes and he continued to drive the truck with no problems. Now this morning the truck did the same thing and we pulled the same FICM code.

My question for you guys is where is the best place to get a FICM and is Ford the only place that can flash it? My buddy doesnt know much about the 6.0L and isnt a member of any forums to learn about the 6.0L. Hence why he was running a predator. Any problems he has with the truck he runs to ford and opens his wallet. Im the complete opposite of that so Im going to give him a hand with his truck and hopefully he will start working on the truck himself instead of paying ford.

Ive done some searching on the forum and some say you can use a FICM from international. By buddy was told by ford that he couldnt use one from international because they had different software. Im just wondering what the truth is and if anybody knoew the parts numbers for ford and international so i can get some prices for him.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
liv
Posting Guru
Can't really help you on where to get the FICM

I would try FTE Parts Guy first he is a site sponsor and is cheap. I haven't heard of anyone using the International one, and I would imagine it would be because of the exact reason you listed. Ford will have to flash the new one with the motor there is no way around that.

Good luck. Also make sure he gets his electrical system checked out. Weak batteries/alternator have been the route of most FICM failures.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 AM
tomfrey
Junior User
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you can try a junkyard or get a remanufactured one from Ford. You would think after blowing the headgaskets, then the motor, and now the FICM he would learn his lesson about the predator?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
1957F100
Elder User
Originally Posted by riggz
you can try a junkyard or get a remanufactured one from Ford. You would think after blowing the headgaskets, then the motor, and now the FICM he would learn his lesson about the predator?
Hes not running the predator anymore. He never put it back on after having to pay for the new motor. He is now against tuners and likes to hassle me pretty much everyday for having the SCT on my truck.

He ended up buying a FICM from ford today for $530 CDN. We were going to put the FICM in his truck then a mechanic from a local shop was going to come to us and reprogram the truck. But instead he took the truck to the other shop and paid the guy $150 to install the FICM and reprogram it. Apparently while the guy had his computer hooked up to his truck he re flashed everything with the most up to date ford flashes. Im now thinking about taking my truck to the guy and see what he can update.