Any Nos users out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
whipple_ryan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Nos users out there?

Looking for any tips or advice about using NOs.

I have a Ford 300 I-6 carburated and I'm looking at putting a NOs system on my rig this summer.

I've searched this site and others and haven't found much info on anyone doing this.

Looking for the ups, downs of doing this so any information will be appreciated.

Ryan

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
bnovak
Senior User
HI Ryan

I run a plate injection system on my mach1 windsor engine, which is also carb'd like your 300, and I've run it on 4 other cars as well.

If you are SMART, SAFE, and SANE, NOS can be really efficient and inexpensive to add a little more go. Some things to think about.

1 - how old is the engine, and has it ever been rebuilt?
2 - is the engine in good tune condition? Juicing a poorly running engine will only make things worse.
3 - Keep in mind when using NOS you also need to run high octane fuel. (same with a turbo or supercharger though, and you only need it when you are using it, not all the time.)
4 - make sure the compression is good on all cylinders (within 5% for each)
5 - if you are going to rebuild the motor then juice it, spend extra on forged rods and dished pistons (you can increase the compression and really run fat NOS settings if you build the motor)

So where to start. You definently want a WET PLATE system. I "think" that the 4.6L carb plate and the 300 / 4.9L plate are the same. With a wet system, the NOS computer is injecting juice and more fuel at the same time, so you don't need to re-tune the carb or re-jet it. You will need a new high flow fuel pump though.

Nitrous Express makes a good carb plate setup, so does NOS, but I really like the Zex Performance kits. The computer in these kits auto-disables the NOS system if the fuel or bottle pressure drops to low. They have a blackout kit with a carb plate that should work without a problem for you.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...gory_Code=Ford

NOw, in terms of being sane. It's really easy to hook up NOS, and stick in a 200HP jet, but you will smoke your motor unless it's built. a 50HP shot will do a lot more than you think, and will keep your motor from burning up. Depending on your motor's condition, I wouldn't run more than a 75HP shot unless you start building the bottom end up.

Hope this helps. If you've got more directed questions, let me know.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 PM
bnovak
Senior User
One more thing

Dry systems might look appealing cause they are CHEAP, but you get what you pay for. With a carb'd motor, I'd stay away from a dry system as there is no computer dumping in extra fuel. Again, stay away from the dry systems.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:46 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of the above, I would start small with a 50 shot wet system . You will need to take some timing out when you spray , i use a msd timing box so i can adjust it from inside the cab , You don't want to spray at to low of rpm , a rpm window switch is a good thing to have , it will turn it on & off at any rpm you want , Check your plugs to make sure your not runing lean , a lean condition with nos isn't good , a fuel press gauge or wideband air fuel gauge is good to have, i would start with the jets a little on the rich side ....Lew