Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing your main wheel hub bearings. Pics here

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 AM
ycis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man...just read 8 pages of this...now i have an even bigger project for the weekend.

im gonna guess this has never been done on mine, going on 200k miles...long overdue!

probably easier to just replace both hubs at this point...are the ebay ones linked in an earlier page **** and OEM is the only way to go?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
79malibu
Freshman User
not sure if it was mentioned but they are our forum sponsor

I just bought one of these from riff raff and after reading the thread im going to order some abs sensors too
Riffraff Diesel: Front ABS Grease-able Block Off Fitting

Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM
12valveEx
Senior User
It appears to me that some are willing to gamble on a very weak OEM setup. For others cost is no object when it comes to reliability*. Some may be willing to put everything at risk should there be a catastrophic failure due to some southern engineered solution (with respect to bearings with PLASTIC cages - yikes!). I for one cannot (nor care to) take any risks with me and mine, therefore I take pains to totally eliminate any foreseeable problems. If these sealed unit bearing hubs were on an aircraft then there would be a protocol for required replacement after so many hours or cycles - no ifs, ands, or buts. The notion of operate to failure (with plastic cage bearings one cannot inspect nor make absolutely certain are properly greased) is just plain stupid when the wife and the kiddos are subject to being in the truck.

FWIW, Dynatrac gave me free shipping when I asked if they can do any better on the price. Some whine about the price of correcting a manufacturer's flaw yet spend thou$and$ on things like upgraded interiors, tires and wheels, lift kits, stereos, etc.

(*not to mention the fact that with the OEM setup one can NEVER be sure what one's front hubs are doing - are they locked when they shouldn't be?? are they unlocked when they should be locked??)

Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grease needle???

What about using a grease needle to get the grease down in there?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by afonda

Works great. I wrapped mine with some tape to make a good seal.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valveEx
It appears to me that some are willing to gamble on a very weak OEM setup. For others cost is no object when it comes to reliability*. Some may be willing to put everything at risk should there be a catastrophic failure due to some southern engineered solution (with respect to bearings with PLASTIC cages - yikes!). I for one cannot (nor care to) take any risks with me and mine, therefore I take pains to totally eliminate any foreseeable problems. If these sealed unit bearing hubs were on an aircraft then there would be a protocol for required replacement after so many hours or cycles - no ifs, ands, or buts. The notion of operate to failure (with plastic cage bearings one cannot inspect nor make absolutely certain are properly greased) is just plain stupid when the wife and the kiddos are subject to being in the truck.

FWIW, Dynatrac gave me free shipping when I asked if they can do any better on the price. Some whine about the price of correcting a manufacturer's flaw yet spend thou$and$ on things like upgraded interiors, tires and wheels, lift kits, stereos, etc.

(*not to mention the fact that with the OEM setup one can NEVER be sure what one's front hubs are doing - are they locked when they shouldn't be?? are they unlocked when they should be locked??)
I don't agree with any of that. It sounds like you are trying to justify buying the expensive Dynatracs. I greased my bearings at 160K miles and they should go as long as I have the truck. It's not like they suddenly lock up, flip the truck over, and kill everyone, they give plenty of warning first. You talk about people spending money on wheels etc but the Dynatrac hub kit is well over $2,000 and they don't even give you u-joints with it. Also, I always know when my hubs are locked because I turn the dial (like on the Dynatracs) when I need them and just leave them turned all winter because there is a lot of snow in this small town.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by afonda
There's different ways of doing it. I like the setup where you just remove the wheel and use the plastic tube attached to a grease gun, very simple and easy.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, bearings go out, the tappered rollers and the unit bearings. Italy all about maintinance. Regular repacks(tappered rollers) and regular geeasings(unit) are the key to longevity.

Also, you can put regular old lockouts into the unit bearing hub. I have warn hubs in mine. Fit 79-04 D50/D60 fords. So that's not a argument either.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I don't care what anyone says, bearings go out, the tappered rollers and the unit bearings. Italy all about maintinance. Regular repacks(tappered rollers) and regular geeasings(unit) are the key to longevity.

Also, you can put regular old lockouts into the unit bearing hub. I have warn hubs in mine. Fit 79-04 D50/D60 fords. So that's not a argument either.
The unit bearings are tapered roller bearings (double row) and luckily someone discovered a way to grease them.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is a few years old, but I just came across it and figured I'd bring it back TTT............................some good info here, thanks.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea, but the original post photos don't come up anymore...

Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Yea, but the original post photos don't come up anymore...
When the "perma-ban" happens people take their toys and leave the sandbox.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Those photos showed a funnel with grease. I believe I have them if you REALLY wanted to see them, but.....

Since doing it that way isn't really necessary, it's just as well that they are no longer used as an example.

He was using the wrong grease, as well (of course that's debatable).

The method has evolved into:

1. Clean around the ABS sensor
2. Remove your ABS sensor
3. Unscrew the tip off your grease gun hose
4. Stick the hose in the hole
5. Grease until about full
6. Put it all back together

Adapters and funnels aren't really necessary, as the I.D. of the sensor hole is just slightly larger than the O.D. of the threads on the hose.

Pop

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
So in other words, the hub zerk elminates the need for the funnel trick, right?

Old 07-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, so just to clarify...............what is the latest as far as the " proper " grease to use ?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Greasing your main wheel hub bearings. Pics here