1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

superdutys in the sand

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:07 PM
mattpowerstroker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superdutys in the sand

ok guys i live near the delaware beaches and was thinking about getting a surf tag for my truck.I have a diesel 350 and am looking for tips for going out on the beach. What should i bring with me out there should i air down i have 10 inch wide wheels on the truck. If anyone lives near there would b great to here about going out there..

Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
bens99f350
Senior User
I go out on the sand occasionally here in Oregon.... air down to 20 lbs and it does fine. I put a Viair compressor and a tank on the frame rail so I can air it back up.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
kittyhawksurf
Senior User
Wow onboard air? That is freakin awesome. I first heard about them with the old hummers, but never thought about doing it myself? How hard was it? Did you DIY?

As far as the sand goes, I have been driving on it for years and today I got stuck with 38" 15.5 mickey thompsons. I couldn't engage the 4wd. I just bought the truck too.

I would recomend airing down for sure. 20 psi was always recomended to me too. Air down real low if you get into problems and dig her out.

I was lookign for surf tags to. n2dawater, epic, swell. Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Dually TAS
Senior User
I'm thinking stay away.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
mikewrt
Senior User
I'll keeper out of the sand thank you very much!! Now Arizona back country . . . .

Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
MikeMcCasland
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Air down, bring a shovel and a tow strap. SD's as big and bad as they are...are not great off roaders without pretty drastic modification. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Super Duty, but it's not nearly the off-roader some of my other trucks have been. They are just too heavy in a lot of cases, especially for sand. I'm sure 100 people will follow this up and tell me how freaking awesome their SD is off-road, and I'm sure its' not bad, but in a stock configuration with the weak factory l/s, open front, massive weight,and stock tires... yeah not so much.

As long as you don't stop in the loose stuff, keep it moving, you'll be just fine. If you do get stuck, don't try and power your way out, or rock you way out. You'll just bury it to the axles. It's much easier to dig your way out when the truck isn't buried to the frame.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 PM
kittyhawksurf
Senior User
Come on guys. There is nothing cooler that driving right up on the beach to a sweet break and not having to lug 1000 lbs of the family's stuff over the dune to the beach. Drive up, park, drop your stuff off and play your radio on the beach. You just gotta remember to rinse the undercarriage when you get home.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 PM
kittyhawksurf
Senior User
Originally Posted by MikeMcCasland
Air down, bring a shovel and a tow strap.
definately bring the shovel. Great suggestion. Yea and not a good Idea to punch it. Great post man.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Eng1Driver
Senior User
Don't be scared to air down to 15psi. After you drive a bit you made need to check you air pressure again. This is due to the fact that the tires generate a lot of friction heat when running aired down and the air expands. I have found that after driving on the beach my tires will increase from 15psi up to 17-19psi. Trust me, on a sandy beach 2-3psi is a big deal.

For the record I drive the Cape Cod National Seashore which has some soft, soupy sand. A beach with firmer sand will not require as low of a tire pressure.

Ditto on the tow strap and shovel. I also advise you to carry a 5-ton bottle jack and a 12''X12'' piece of 3/4'' plywood to put under the jack. There's nothing worse than trying to change a flat on the beach and watching the factory jack sink into the sand as you try and raise your truck.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beach driving is great. we take our truck and camper(36' travel trailer) on the beach. air down truck and trailer. no problems. 15-20lbs.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:46 AM
mattpowerstroker
Senior User
wow so u pull your camper out on the beach.. I knew i would def have to air down i like that onboard air idea does that take that long to air the tires back up. i would def like to here of more guys taking there trucks out on the beach.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there two places here on long island that i go beach camping. shinnecock and shagwon(montauk). they both have dumpouts and air stations. i could be wrong but i think the on board air system that was talked about is just a compresser wired and mounted on the truck. the hummer system is involved it can air up or down while driving. the key to driving on the sand is don't be afraid to air down. my old tires 35"x12.5"x16.5" i had as high as 40lbs. and as low as 15lbs. definitly pack a bottle jack some wood planks a tow strap and a shovel.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 AM
mattpowerstroker
Senior User
spinella have u had your truck stuck. and im sure that his air wasnt like the hummers u can air all the tires up or let air out of the tires with a flip of the button it is a neat set up.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
kittyhawksurf
Senior User
I hate to get so off subject, but does anyone know where the posts are about onboard air? I NEED IT!

I hate airing down to go on the beach 'cause I still don't have an air compressor at home.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 AM
mattpowerstroker
Senior User
no i dont know where that post is sorry. Did u make far down the beach in 2wd with your truck. have u been able to mess with your 4wd anymore