Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior User

Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Condensor Problem

Well here we go again. Still having trouble pulling methanol from my BD and Glycerol.
Phydeaux, you suspect a bad condensor and I agree. I will give you specs on mine and maybe you can tell me what's wrong.
1. Outer container is 3"x24" PVC pipe with caps on both ends.
2. 5/16 Cu approx 10ft long coiled using a 1 1/4 pipe to coil it.
2. Cold water enters bottom of condensor and leaves top. (62F)
3. I pulled vacuum on line leaving condensor.
4. Condensor is vertical and located 4" below my evaporator.
5. I put small amount of BD or Glycerol in shallow pan and attempt to set fire to it. No luck which tells me the methanol is gone but where is it?
6. I have checked for leaks in the vaporizer.
7. Vapor enters top of condensor and exits? bottom.

I don't dare try to light vapor or whatever is leaving bottom of condensor.
Should I build new condensor or what?

Anyone with any credible suggestions are welcome.

Thankyou in advance Tom
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From an earlier thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
I heat the BD in the 55 gal separator drum BUT I open the vent at the top for 2 reasons 1. I'm afraid of building too much pressure while heating to 180F.
Are you still doing initial heating in a vented drum?
If you are that is where your MeOH is going.
It boils at approx 150 degrees, heating to 180 degrees assures all MeOH has been vaporized and gone up the vent.

If you are worried about pressure install a pressure relief valve but close that vent.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior User

I did not heat past 140F. Actually I sprayed it into a chamber at about 100F and vacuumed through the condensor. The last time I heated to 180F and did the same thing. Surely the fuel is vaporizing at that point.
Hey Don(Fabman) help me out explaining this will you. Thanks Tom
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
I did not heat past 140F. Actually I sprayed it into a chamber at about 100F and vacuumed through the condensor. The last time I heated to 180F and did the same thing. Surely the fuel is vaporizing at that point.
Hey Don(Fabman) help me out explaining this will you. Thanks Tom
I'll send a PM to Phy tonight..................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Senior User

Thanks Don. I appreciate it. Did you get my private msg I sent you? It explains more closely what I did with the last batch. Incidently, I was able to save the batch that caught fire.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88 View Post
From an earlier thread

Are you still doing initial heating in a vented drum?
If you are that is where your MeOH is going.
It boils at approx 150 degrees, heating to 180 degrees assures all MeOH has been vaporized and gone up the vent.

If you are worried about pressure install a pressure relief valve but close that vent.
What's your thoughts on the construction of the condensor?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tom
your condenser sounds fine.
My only change would be to orient it at 45 degrees, they seem to work better like that, altho not always. I do not understand the need for applying vacuum thru the condenser, the overpressure in the vapori chamber should be all you need. The vacuum may be counter productive.

Condensers are fairly simple systems but require strict attention to some basic physical laws. If you want to test your condenser boil some water in the chamber and see how much you recover.

To maximize efficiency the only route of egress for vapors must be thru the condenser.
If you are concerned about pressure install a saftey valve.
Do all of your heating in the vapor chamber because MeOH boils at 148.4 degrees, at sea level, thus as elevation increases BP drops.
While BP is 148 that doesn't mean vaporization begins at that temp. Just as water evaporates, vaporizes, from a pan at normal room temp MeOH will vaporize at temps far below the BP. As temp increases the rate of vaporization increases.
If you really want maximum recovery store your Glycerin and BD in a covered container before trying to recover the MeOH
Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior User

Condensor Problem

Hey Phydeaux and Don (Fabman). Did you receive my PM I sent? Actually I asked Phydeaux to forward my PM to Don. Haven't heard from either of you.
Anxiously awaiting your input.
Thanks
Tom
Old 06-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Don't now if this helps you, but google "Plumbers Delight". It is a pretty simple condenser that we use on our "GL Eco-processor". Works pretty good for us.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger View Post
Don't now if this helps you, but google "Plumbers Delight". It is a pretty simple condenser that we use on our "GL Eco-processor". Works pretty good for us.
Thanks Trent. I'll give it a shot.
Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Hey Phydeaux and Don (Fabman). Did you receive my PM I sent? Actually I asked Phydeaux to forward my PM to Don. Haven't heard from either of you.
Anxiously awaiting your input.
Thanks
Tom
Sorry Tom...........I've been on a business trip to Montana. Had to work out some problems with some new equipment at one of the gold mines I work with. I didn't get any PM's from you or Phy. Will be back late tonight, work has pilled up since I've been gone!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks Trent. I'll give it a shot.
Tom
Did you get it working yet?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
Did you get it working yet?
Haven't had chance to try anything yet. Been out of town and leaving again Wednesday for Nova Scotia then to Wyoming after that. Will have to try in August. Thanks for your interest. I will keep you all posted.
Tom
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Have fun and be safe. Taking any of the grandkids with ya?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
Have fun and be safe. Taking any of the grandkids with ya?
No..My friend/business partner and his wife and my wife and me to Nova Scotia. Then just my wife and me to Wyoming. Thanks Don. I'll give you a call when I get back.
Regards
Tom
Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2003, condenser, condensor, fan, methanol, navigator, problem, pull, recovery, vacuum