1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F-2 project

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
landtortise89
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1948 F-2 project

So I recently aquired a 48 Ford F-2 project it's currnetly disassembled the chasisis is all there minus motor and trans. It's a pretty sweet deal my first goal is that I want to build it into a rat rod of sorts I don't really want to do a lot of cutting and chopping. So my question is should I reuse the stock frame, and if not what frame should I run under it. I was thinking s-10 or ranger. Anyway I need ideas all around motor trans, ect. I want to either run a small block or build a 300 six and dump it in there I am pretty sure I want a manual trans unless some one can talk me outta of it. Anyway thinking flat black with some red and white hand pinstriping and coker white walls on red wheels with beaty rings and baby moons.

thoughts, ideas, coments, would all be appriciated.

thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Abomination
Senior User
People would really like you at the HAMB.

~Jason

Originally Posted by landtortise89
So I recently aquired a 48 Ford F-2 project it's currnetly disassembled the chasisis is all there minus motor and trans. It's a pretty sweet deal my first goal is that I want to build it into a rat rod of sorts I don't really want to do a lot of cutting and chopping. So my question is should I reuse the stock frame, and if not what frame should I run under it. I was thinking s-10 or ranger. Anyway I need ideas all around motor trans, ect. I want to either run a small block or build a 300 six and dump it in there I am pretty sure I want a manual trans unless some one can talk me outta of it. Anyway thinking flat black with some red and white hand pinstriping and coker white walls on red wheels with beaty rings and baby moons.

thoughts, ideas, coments, would all be appriciated.

thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
landtortise89
Junior User
Originally Posted by Abomination
People would really like you at the HAMB.

~Jason
I am not sure what that is?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
thinking flat black with some red and white hand pinstriping and coker white walls on red wheels with beaty rings and baby moons.
hey, now that would be cool.

the hamb is another foroum, but alot different, theres a more wide veriety of people there, alot of darksiders too, i hung out there for a very short time, it seemed like no one would give me the time a day cause i was a newbie, it didnt matter that i've body dropped countless trucks, i was new. maybe it was just me though lol, or in my MIND!
i felt very very welcomed and appreciated here. so here i am... everyday lol.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
twise
Senior User
Checkout this site: KillBillet.com "The Rat Rod Forum Dedicated to fun, low budget, traditional, rusty, patina Rat Rods and Old School Hot Rods built with junk yard parts." - Powered by vBulletin

They are dedicated to the ratrod builds. Alot of them build their own frames. They z build them to drop the cab just inches from the ground. You will need this site if you are going the ratrod route. They have a club on their site that where you are limited like $3000 to do your whole build. Alot of info. Of course we want you to stay here also. Good Luck

Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Abomination
Senior User
THE H.A.M.B. - Powered by vBulletin

They'll show you how to do it RIGHT.

~Jason

I am not sure what that is?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 AM
DyceDesign
Senior User
THE H.A.M.B. - Powered by vBulletin

They'll show you how to do it RIGHT.

~Jason

and they'll flame the hell out for simple things as well.....by the way if you go there DO NOT MENTION rat rod or anything "non traditional" they will bit@# like crazy at you..........

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
landtortise89
Junior User
yeah the rat rod crowd is a different bunch I am not really a big fan of the crowd but like the rat rod look I don't want to take it to the extreme like some do my previos post is more along the lines of what i want.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
low54
Elder User
both sites have good info, FTE though you will find is less demeaning

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM
landtortise89
Junior User
Originally Posted by low54
both sites have good info, FTE though you will find is less demeaning
yeah I like info but i can do without the attitude.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Abomination
Senior User
Just think about what you want to do... and if you're doing a frame swap anyway, you might want to offer the old chassis or rare F2+ parts (none of which are being repopped) up on here before you trash 'em. That old part they don't make anymore that's in "good enough" shape might be worth several hundred bucks to the right guy who desperately needs it!

Read this: Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List - THE H.A.M.B.

It'll help with chassis swap ideas BIG TIME. And seriously - if the Express bed is in good shape, you may want to reconsider butching it and use a common F1 bed instead.

~Jason

Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
landtortise89
Junior User
Just think about what you want to do... and if you're doing a frame swap anyway, you might want to offer the old chassis or rare F2+ parts (none of which are being repopped) up on here before you trash 'em. That old part they don't make anymore that's in "good enough" shape might be worth several hundred bucks to the right guy who desperately needs it!

Read this: Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List - THE H.A.M.B.

It'll help with chassis swap ideas BIG TIME. And seriously - if the Express bed is in good shape, you may want to reconsider butching it and use a common F1 bed instead.

~Jason
Cool thanks I am uncertain if I am going to do a frame swap. I might just reuse the one i have. I am not certain that the frame is an f-2. I know the cab is cause it has the badging. As far as an express bed what are you meaning? The bed mine comes with looks like a traditional f-1 bed. I am new to bonus builds but not new to fords or custom work. I am not planning on chopping the truck a whole lot. In fact I want to chop the cab 4" but don't want to ruin a perfectly good cab. I may have found another cab that will be donated to the cause for a chop my original cab is in awesome shape. No rust whatsoever. I need to sneak back over to the farm and snap some pics of the truck to post up here. It is in amazing shape for sitting outside fro 10+years completely disassembled.

What's the most popular motor trans combo. I know the 302 sbf is a great motor and can produce great numbers in a compact package. I like them but not sure that I want to be a conformist. I may have a lead on a flathead and f-6 4 speed thought it might be a pretty cool option for the project. That or I am kinda feeling a built 300 straight 6. I love the motor have on in my 89 rock bronco the nice thing is the availablity of a 5speed with that route.

as far as wiring goes whas anyone ever used the killbillet $100 harness? It looks like a great deal for everything you could need and it can have a dew extra holes for acessoies.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
landtortise89
Junior User
So just another question how much difference is there between an f-1 or f-2 cab and front clip and f-4 or f-6 cab and clip. Just curious fro reference.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a tape measure with you and measure the wheelbase. The F-2 and F-3 trucks were 122 inch wheelbase. They also had eight lug wheels. The express bed was an 8 foot bed, wider and taller than an F-1 bed. The cabs for F-2/F-3 were the same as F-1 but the fenders had a larger wheelwell for bigger tires.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
mostly52f1
Senior User
48-52 box

dont hold me to this, but i believe the cabs are the same up until you get into the COE cabs.
the difference in the front ends are the fender openings, the bigger trucks have bigger fender openings, i believe it starts with the F3's. can anyone verify this to be sure?

Quick Reply: 1948 F-2 project