General Automotive Discussion

I need to be schooled again:

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I need to be schooled again:

What makes the Dodge truck so much in demand? They build an HD light truck for Sterling, a Dakota for Mitsubishi and Nissan is courting them for a full size truck. What the hell?

You don't see any F-series clones runniing around or GM clones either. Yes, Ford builds the Mazda and GM builds the Izuzu truck.

If I were in the car business and wnated a cloned truck, I'd go for the truck that sells the most.

Someone, please take me school here?

Tim

Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't do stirling anymore - Daimler canned the brand (they were the ones who tried to bring the brand back into medium duty - and since Dodge, which was a division of Daimer at the time had 3500-5500 trucks) and the Mitsubishi raider deal fell through because they weren't selling enough. The nissan deal is pretty dead in the water too

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM
f250ssd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's the Cummings diesel/Alison transmission combo,... but they have their share of issues.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
rambuck
Senior User
People like the aggressive styling of Dodge, while GM and Ford go for the more power but smooth styling, which although sells much more, doesn't find an attractive styling past what they are for. Plus the possible fact that Dodge just doesn't sell enough or takes the lowest deals that wouldn't pass for Ford or GM.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's all about doing business and making a buck where you can.
One thing I have noticed is, I can't remember seeing any Dodge rollbacks, just Ford and Chevy.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:32 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Just a complete guess here.... maybe the other companies feel they can get a better deal from Dodge (aka cheaper)?

As far as them using the Dakota, GM and Ford don't really make a "midsize" truck like that. The Ranger and Colorado are considerably smaller, so that just leaves the Dakota.