New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Member many years ago, same old truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Old Brown Truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Member many years ago, same old truck

Hello all,

I was a frequent user of the FTE forum in the late 90s under the alias: BigBrownTruck. I was born/raised and continue to live in Seattle. I am supervisor at the local transit agency that currently teaches new hires to drive busses. I've not visited the forum in many years and couldn't remember my password, so I've reinvented myself as Old Brown Truck as my 76 F 100 is getting event older. I loved Ford trucks as a kid particularly the 67-72 models and then the 73-79 models. Eventually I owned a 92 Ranger XLT supercab, my one and only new car. It didn't take me long to want a full sized pickup. I acquired a 67 Ranchero that had a fresh 302 in it. The car was really tired, but I wanted to put the engine in something. I then bought a 76 F100 with the idea of putting the 302 in it. I had a roommate who had done engine swaps, although he was a Chevy guy. He and I swapped out the 300 for the 302 and converted from 3 sp to C6. And then I helped him transplant a newer Vortec 350 into his Chevy van that had a blown engine. I had to learn a bunch of stuff doing my swap, and the FTE forums were a great help. Eventually I had body work and new paint, canopy, Edelbrock manifold/carb, dual exhaust. I sold my Ranger to help pay for it. Then the truck was stolen and gone for about a month. I replaced it with an 89 V8 Camaro w/ 5sp (fun car). Then I got my truck back. Not long after I discovered I had a ruined thrust bearing in the 302.

My Ford story continued when I bought a 69 F100 with a 390 and T18 4sp with the idea it would become a donor drivetrain. I fussed with the 390 getting it to pass emissions. Had heads off and rebuilt, needed to replace cam, acquired adjustable rocker arms. Gave up on that engine when I broke rings and a piston. But I became a big 390 fan as even sick, that 390 had great low RPM torque.

Next came the 79 F150 with 302 and OD Rug Manual. I struggled with pinging. I upgraded distributor, cleaned up EGR, and finally solved it by haveing the Motorcraft carb rejetted by carb experts. It had poor oil pressure however.

One vacation period, I decided to transfer it over to my original truck (no engine or tranny). Cleaning up my 302 I broke the block using new but ever so slightly too-long bolts to reattach the repainted water pump. At that point I decided to find a junkyard 390 to buy me time to rebuild my other 390 and use my old T18 tranmission. This was 7-8 years ago, and the junkyard engine has run so well, I haven't started my rebuild. The truck was usually a utility backup. I carried my bands PA system in it for a few years.

Over the years, my camaro got stolen and totaled. My truck was my daily driver for a bit. I started fighting little issues like a worn out radiator, and intermintent electrical problems, starter/ringgear issues, and a carb that needed to be rebuilt. I then acquired a 97 Mustang GT 4.6L 5 sp. My daily driver now, very fun and reliable. Now I'd like to get a similar one as a convertible. I put a dent in the bed a couple of years ago, and I've been torn between fixing the truck again, or acquiring a 90s era Ford truck like my dads 95 F150. I've also had my eye out for a 78-79 Bronco. As I'm approaching 50, my money priorities are such that I don't want to go overboard spending money on the truck. Its really a very expensive hobby, and the same money would be better spent on my house. I however have continued to fix the problems as they come up and enjoy driving my truck.

My first driver was a 67 Lincoln with a Lincoln 462 (no not the 460)
66 Porsche 912 (was fun)
70 Chevy Malibu.... Loved that car..... squished in chain collision
79 Chevy Van...... nicely appointed, carried the band gear
84 Camaro Z28 5sp.... fun, then stolen/totalled
92 Ranger XLT 3.0 supercab 5sp bought new.. paid off then sold
THE 76 F100 it's been a long strange trip LOL
A very funky 70 E100 ex Navy van... 240/3sp.... schoolbus yellow and rust
89 Chevy Camaro RS 305 V8 5sd..... drove for years great fun, stolen/totalled
69 F 100 390/T18.... learned all about FE engines.. the tranny lives on
79 F 150 302/4spOD.... saved the rear slider window LOL... want the tranny it's in my yard.... LOL
wife came with 78 Datsun 510 wagon.. .L20B motor automatic.. can't kill it still starts and drives, needs lots of love, tempted to restore
87 Buick Century (for the wife)... stolen/totalled.... leaked steering fluid as fast as it went in
97 Mustang GT 4.6 5sp.......yeah baby... sounds brutal... gets up to speed
just fine.
95 VW Passat VR6 automatic..... it's not a car, its a volkswagen (for the wife)

As you can see, I've had Chevy's and Fords as well as a few other brands. I don't have any use for Chevy hating or Ford hating.... I love all kinds of cars and brands... and some of the same brands have made some crap as well. By in large I enjoy a non cluttered V8 with a tough exhaust note.
Once I saw a picture of a Hot rod with a Hemi V8 in it.. the Hemi was a Toyota Hemi V8 from a 70s era Toyota that wasn't imported. Looked great... probably was way too expensive... As a kid I dreamed of a 66 Mustang GT fastback.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to have you back and enjoying the site!