1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
mikes56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do i need???

another newbee here looking for some helpful info. i am headed out to the wrecking yard tomorrow to pick up a volare style front end. Gonna be gettin it form the local pick your own kinda place so i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what tools it takes. Gotta pack em out there and i dont want to bring the whole roll away if i dont need it.

i have been reading all the tech articles and threads about the front ends. in addition to avoiding the slant 6 front ends and the ones with worn out parts is there anything else i should be looking for????

Thank you for all the help and the valuable info on this site. I have learned alot already. Got the truck in the garage, stripped down to the frame, pictures to follow.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes56
another newbee here looking for some helpful info. i am headed out to the wrecking yard tomorrow to pick up a volare style front end. Gonna be gettin it form the local pick your own kinda place so i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what tools it takes. Gotta pack em out there and i dont want to bring the whole roll away if i dont need it.

i have been reading all the tech articles and threads about the front ends. in addition to avoiding the slant 6 front ends and the ones with worn out parts is there anything else i should be looking for????

Thank you for all the help and the valuable info on this site. I have learned alot already. Got the truck in the garage, stripped down to the frame, pictures to follow.
Hi Mike
and welcome to FTE. When I bought mine THEY pulled it and loaded it on my truck... You'll probably get by with a standard set of 1/2" sockets and rachet, couple of extensions (I think the donut bolts are 3/4 or 7/8 head... there are only 4 main bolts that hold it in place, but you have steering to remove (rag joint) and other junk to cut away... take a pair of side cutters and maybe a hacksaw... and a BFH and a prybar.

How far is this thing up off the ground ??? It's reasonably heavy and dang cumbersome to handle... take a helper if you can. I'd get wheels and tires if I could. You might want to take a couple of ropes or ratchet straps to hold it in place and then let it down to the ground if you can or you might be able to get to it with a floor jack under the sub frame and lower it that way...

You won't need the mounting bolts or the donuts if you're going to cut it into the f-100 frame

gud luck and be careful.... take pictures of the adventure and post them for us... we like adventure and blood..

later
John

Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Helper for sure. As far as tools, you'll only need the ones you forgot to bring, ha.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Helper for sure. As far as tools, you'll only need the ones you forgot to bring, ha.
yeh, loaded with the brakes, and power steering box, it'll be around 200lbs..

easy with 3 people.. (well, just cumbersome)

Sam

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Volare...wo--wo-wo---volare---wowowo.....catchy tune...LOL
My trucks already have a front end .....made by ford......no need for volare parts....LOL

I wish I would have kept some of the volares I had back 20 yrs ago when I was into mopars......you darksiders would love em.....LOL
good luck and the guys at the salvage yard should help out with the heavy lifting.....good luck......is it a 56? Bill

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

I'm with Bill on this one. But have fun at the "recycling center!"

Take "band-aides" for those knuckles!

I'm looking forward to seeing the installation progress.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
mikes56
New User
thanks for the help al. went and got it today,,,,whew what a job by yourself, and yes i have the bloody knuckles to prove it thanks again

Old 04-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well,

It was a successfull day at "Le yard" , you have restoration war wounds, it's friday night and time for a cold frosty adult beverage!

Here's to you!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Box her tight and line her straight.