1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One piece tilt front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
rsgunn...

I haven 't really responded to this thread but have seen others comment on this... here's a reply I made on another thread about tilt front ends.

start clip.. this is a major project... you need welding, fabricating, fiberglass, body filler skills and a humoungous vocabulary in expletives... No matter what the advertising hype and salesman tells you... this ain't no bolt on... We spent countless hours trying to persuade mine to fit the cab... the article below will give you some ideas

http://jniolon.classicpickup.com/til...gfulltilt.html

there are several guys here that have done them and I'll bet my paycheck they will agree with me on the amount of work necessary... that's just to get the tilt part done.... if you wanna slide / tilt... it adds exponentially to the work..

would I do it again..... heck yes !!! the coolness outweights the trouble...

end clip...

I'm not trying to talk you out of it.... just trying to point out that it is a major undertaking... it takes some calculating, lots of work... a huge amount of dumb luck and some engineering... have fun with it.

later
John

Old 06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
RSGunn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
would I do it again..... heck yes !!! the coolness outweights the trouble...
Thats exactly what I am talking about!! I have no doubt that I am going to run into trouble here and there, but I have always wanted to do it with some of my other projects and never did. Now that I am older and have as much time as I need to complete it I am going to do it. Hair is already all grey so I don't have to worry about that these days.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Keep us Posted on what you end up doing!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
RSD et all

I looked over my article and realized I hadn't updated it since we added the stiffener... here's an updated copy... only the last couple of pages changed..

later
j

Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
TonyB55
Senior User
Originally Posted by jniolon
RSD et all

I looked over my article and realized I hadn't updated it since we added the stiffener... here's an updated copy... only the last couple of pages changed..

later
j
That's a great article, and very nice workmanship! And I always thought a fiberglass tilt would be the easy way to go.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tilt Front Steel

Howdy,
I would like to attempt to make a couple of statements without offense to anyone. Please forgive me.

jniolon, & rsgunn, these guys have been around forever and have great knowledge. I have read most of their post and its all good info. However?

A 54 F100 was my first vehicle in 79, we didn't have the options, repops, etc.... like we do now! Im on truck number 13 for my personal fleet over the years. The current being parts from my first one which I totaled (Rolled) in 83.

With this said, Im still old school. I have a collision shop and restore, build custom cars for a living. To give you all an idea of where I kind of stand with some items....
  • I don't use ANY Mustang two stuff EVER! Its junk, and your risking your lives and others on the road(Just my opinion from fixing more than a dozen totaled Hotrods, Classics, etc....). Main reason for the danger is everyone removes the lower control arm strut (Because it doesn't look purdy) THAT BELONGS ON THAT DESIGN REGARDLESS OF WIDENING THE LOWER CONTROL ARMS! I cant tell you how many totaled hotrods come into my shop mangled, injured people, dogs, cats, etc... on the way to a show. There is a reason suspensions are designed the way they are. Use existing clips that have been around and proven.... Volare(Yes I said it, I have always been able to get or make a set of headers for any big block fit and work perfectly around the PS Box.... Sorry, its pretty easy), Jag, Aerostar, Crown Vic, Chevelle, Nova, (Not Pacer), ORIGINAL STRAIGHT AXLE! OR FRONT FRAME GRAFT, ETC....
  • Regarding the Flip Front End, not a fan of thin plastic on an all steel truck just because its to heavy! ???? You can do a flip front in a weekend, Its not that hard. Front end can be bolted although I prefer to weld all mine up. I use Hydraulic rams from a convertible top from the wrecking yard.... Like we used to do in the day! AND you don't have to cut ANY part of the fender if you design some very simple hinge brackets that move the Front End forward a couple of inches then flips up and OVER the front bumper! Im not sure what the issues are or maybe I read some of this post incorrectly. If anyone wants to keep a steel front nose, not cut the lower fenders, and not have to move the front bumper PM me and I will send you a simple drawing of simple steel hinge brackets that you can make in an hour that will solve all your problems.
  • Welded or Bolted steel isn't flimsy, or difficult to design if the hinges are done right. That's the trick, that's all. When closing and securing I make a couple of steel receivers that look like small funnels. Then the male counterpart bolts to the hood. Think of the Apollo docking assy. Then I use two Cadillac automatic electric trunk latches to grab and pull down the lower part of the fenders to secure them in place when closed. Think Trunk Latch from 68 Cadillac if you not familiar with how they work. No slamming the trunks,,, just gently press the trunk down and the latch pulls it down and locks it in place.
I bring up the front clips so as to design with or without the inner fenders. Depending on how much working room you want you can leave them out or modify them to custom fit.

Electric linear actuators are nice, some are pricey, if using steel front end you will need two of them NOT ONE! regardless of ratings. its about lifting and lowering evenly.

Hope this is helpful?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Johnnynobody
[*]Regarding the Flip Front End, not a fan of thin plastic on an all steel truck just because its to heavy! ???? You can do a flip front in a weekend, Its not that hard. Front end can be bolted although I prefer to weld all mine up. I use Hydraulic rams from a convertible top from the wrecking yard.... Like we used to do in the day! AND you don't have to cut ANY part of the fender if you design some very simple hinge brackets that move the Front End forward a couple of inches then flips up and OVER the front bumper! Im not sure what the issues are or maybe I read some of this post incorrectly. If anyone wants to keep a steel front nose, not cut the lower fenders, and not have to move the front bumper PM me and I will send you a simple drawing of simple steel hinge brackets that you can make...
PM sent.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 PM
PhattRabit
New User
I would be very interested in reading the file from Jules tilt hood build if anyone would be kind enough to email it to me karl@digitalsi.com.au

Old 09-22-2014, 02:14 AM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User

Tilt Front End Basic Hinge Designs

Hi all,
it appears there is an interest in the Hinge Designs that I currently use?
I have uploaded some basic drawings.
Please let me know if they are helpful.
I will be completing another Tilt Front End on another one of my trucks with a steel front nose in a couple of months.
If anyone wants to see any details please let me know and I will post on this thread.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 02:27 AM
PhattRabit
New User
Fantastic, cheers

Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 AM
nassi
Freshman User
Very nice, thanks for sharing that.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
I'd really like to see your future flip on this site!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User
Hey Guys,
Any idea of the weight of the Steel front end of our trucks? 53-56? Not the fiberglass, The Steel Front End 53-56.
Thanks
J

Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
JohnnyNB

now you've done it...showing me those slide/tilt hinges... you got me itching to cut mine all out and redo... if I hadn't just finished fitting up the fiberglass tilt that took months, I'd be looking for a striker !!

very nice design and looks well thought out... want to see a video with a close up of the hinges in action ...

thanks for posting on the site... been lots of interest over the years for this and I haven't seen anything I liked till now..nice work

later
john

Old 09-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Johnnynobody
Freshman User
HA!,
Hey John, that's pretty funny. You know! I use your write for ALL my Volare front clip installs! Its better than Bobs. Actually its the best write up out there!
Regarding the fiberglass front ends. US Body seems to be the best and most consistent, but they even say that time needs to be spent fitting.
I'm just about ready to start driving my truck... Its a daily shop truck beater that I have been dragging parts around for thirty years. Bout time I got it together.
I will hopefully get these write UPS done and kits made up for anyone who wants to stay all steel and for original suspension mods with all the power steering, power disc brakes, latest tire and wheel updates, smooth air ride, and full truck rating loaded so we can use as a truck without a complete chassis swap.
Seems to be a desire for these type of updates for the Ford Big Jobs.
Still in the process building my CNC cutting table, when complete it will be fairly easy to offer one off kits, etc.... As we can make as needed. Of course some assembly will be required.
Thanks, let me know if I may be of help.
John

Quick Reply: One piece tilt front end