Sponsored by:

my SAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
i have two vehicles and its not even mud or hunting season yet so for now i couldnt care less about downtime with it...i know i wanted it done in a weekend then parts screwed me over and i said to hell with it...i could have had the labor done in a weekend if i had access to ALL my parts...like you bashed me for in the beginning...but i had problems with $$$ and access for parts...if it was a semi...then id be pissed cause id be losing money but im not losing anything so no big deal...and have there not been many WAAAYYYYYYY longer SASs done? and yes its very well worth the money...and no i did not want/need a d60 so why waste the extra time and money to do it

Only extra $ for a D60, MAYBE.. i spent $500 on my D60 and 10.25. Plug gears and a locker after they where under the rig for about a 6 months.. time wise its the same puttin a D60 under there..

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i was talkin to the guy at bullseye offroad and he said hes got a d60 under a 90s bronc he would sell me...all id have to do is mount the rad arm brackets and trac bar bracket and it would have been done...kinda made me wanna go jump off a large cliff when he told me that

and so far today i bought the BJs 2 of 4 were absolutely screwed right from the box...so no go on that till tomorrow...the 78 rad arm brackets will not fit so that was an absolute waste of time on that and now i have to deal with 2* of caster instead of 4.25* but right now i could not possibly care less i just want it done and gone...bought my caliper hardware today but since the BJs are fubar'd didnt get anything on that...yeah today i was damn near ready to kill something slowly and painfully

i really hope its as worth it as its said to be because its becoming less and less worth it every day so far

Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
ok now to add to my BJ problem i was settin up the press to put the BJs in yesterday morning and my boss pulled me in to talk over my hours for the summer and a guy in the shop says he will take over...okay no problem...get back 10 mins. later and hes trying to beat one out with a hammer...i was like what in the sam hell are you doing he grabs the knuckle that has both BJs in it...turns out they are in upside down! so monday at work i have to press those two out then back in properly...but the one he was beating on is toast so now i gotta go buy another BJ

wow 7 BJs and 4 days later it might actually be on the ground...but i doubt it something is likely to go wrong...again

Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
well yeah no spindles...untill then i have to measure some stuff up to see if the superduty steering i found will fit...till then heres a couple pics to drool over

Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

is it really that hard to find parts for that thing in your area? hell i have tossed out all the stuff you need over the last year cuz i was tired of it in my way. lol

Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
351slug
Elder User
Dam Dude, that looks sweet. I looking to do the same to mine one day. I just havnt broke enough TTB chit to justify. I guess Im a wus 4 wheeler.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
hahaha well i havent broke my TTB either but i wasn't trying to hard, kinda wish i woulda tried harder but i dont think i would have with only 31" tires...

theres 1 place in my area that has my spindles, they have 2 sets on shelf and 2 sets 1 day away, i just need to wait for the money to go get them my last couple checks been chit because of school and that damn hunting course i had to take a week off for that and if i can get them this paycheck they will break me big time but at least it will be on the ground...that is the place that has my extended brake lines but they have to order those...no-one has them in stock locally another $170 for those after $160 for spindles

i found f250 superduty steering at the junkyard i have to go measure it up to see if it will work and ill get that instead of the 78 f150 steering....much stronger then its onto the trac bar but i have enough welder brothers/friends/co-workers that that will not be a problem at all

Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
hey guys made a crude design for my trac bar bracket then put it into paint...kinda if you can make it out tell me what you think ( im lookin your way 75f350)

black circles are bolts, thick black lines are the bracket thin black lines are the other side of the bracket, and brown lines are frame and x-member

if this is a solid idea i will be using 2" x 2" square steel tube and steel sheet all of the 1/4" variety

Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well progress is getting done at least huh? The above prices sound awful expensive for parts. Is that 160 bucks for both spindles? What was that 170 dollar figure?

Anyway, I am not sure that I understand the dwg. My eyes are a bit tired this evening, and the adult beverages are kicking in.
I am building a 78 Bronco right now, as well as a 95 Bronco. They will both recieve D60F's and will be almost identical up front.
These are some brackets that were thrown together and both trucks will get them.

These will weld to a plate and mount to the outside of the frame on the drivers side:

And these fellers here will be welded to the axle tube on the pass side. Note the offset for clearance and multiple mounting points to make this a semi adjustable deal:

Pm me if you think these will work and you want some made............

Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
thanks 75 but are you using the factory coil buckets on the 95 bronco cause i am and everytime i try to find a way to build a bracket on the outside of the frame i hit either the coil the bucket the power steering box bolts of one of the many lips and/or rivets that are there...the only decent idea ive found to build on the inside of the frame is that on in the piccy ill see if i can describe it.... basically a 2"x2" 1/4" thick square steel channel that bolt up to the bottom of the frame and the inside of the engine x-member then some flat 1/4" thick steel rising from that up into the x-member and bolting through that and some other 1/4" thick steel for reinforcement...does that help any?

$160 is for both spindles...$80 a piece

$140 is for both my ext. brake lines $75 a piece...$170 was a typo

Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Spindles sound about right, Unfortunaltely putting an axle together like this can be time consuming as expensive. The real bad part is that a complete D44 in my area runs only slightly more than your spindles alone cost.
The above mount can be installed either outside of the frame or inside. You actually have quite a bit of room for a track bar. Its the bottom mount that is the most critical, so having some offset makes little work of this. In many cases, the trac bar mount can be incorperated into a bracket that uses the bolts for the steering box. You kust have to make sure that the pitman arm is clear, but you honestly have quite a bit of room. The biggest concern is providing enough room to clear the diff during suspension cycles.

As far as your brake lines, that price sounds terribly expensive. I recall Skyjacker lines for this year truck being right at 100 bucks, and the single line for the early vehicles, being right at about 50 bucks. Why are yours so expensive? Thay cant be any different right?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Spindles sound about right, Unfortunaltely putting an axle together like this can be time consuming as expensive. The real bad part is that a complete D44 in my area runs only slightly more than your spindles alone cost.
The above mount can be installed either outside of the frame or inside. You actually have quite a bit of room for a track bar. Its the bottom mount that is the most critical, so having some offset makes little work of this. In many cases, the trac bar mount can be incorperated into a bracket that uses the bolts for the steering box. You kust have to make sure that the pitman arm is clear, but you honestly have quite a bit of room. The biggest concern is providing enough room to clear the diff during suspension cycles.

As far as your brake lines, that price sounds terribly expensive. I recall Skyjacker lines for this year truck being right at 100 bucks, and the single line for the early vehicles, being right at about 50 bucks. Why are yours so expensive? Thay cant be any different right?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
even on BGY the brake lines are $75 a piece! there's only 1 place that sells them that i haven't called yet and I'm sure they wouldn't be any cheaper since they be the same part

another thing on the trac bar bracket, i probably would not be able to weld in there like i said I'm using stock brackets in stock location and where my trac bar will be id be welding to the coil buckets...ill take a pic of the area tomorrow and see if you can think anything up cause id like it on the outside because i could get it a bit longer that way and i like the adjustable idea because I'm not sure how it gonna work out with the engine x-member

Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
this is my fight here trying to get around the numerous ledges and drops and rivets and uneven surfaces...in this pic you can see the lower trac bar bracket so you can see about where the upper mount needs to go and of course its right on top of that damn coil bucket

i cant really think something up for the outside of my frame due to all the clearance issues...well i could but the problem is making it strong enough without welding it to the frame...any ideas?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

when i did this swap for a guy i welded a bracket to the bottom of the frame. and used the stock 78-79 tracbar. i also had a brace that went from the tracbar bracket to the engine crossmember.. i had to cut some of the stock crossmember off to clear the front axle and tracbar. its really not that hard to do. i think your tryin to over think it.. i also have done this swap on a ranger and put the bracket on the outside of the frame. it just cleared the bolts for the steering box.. that was gusseted to the bottom of the frame.. ill try to find some pics for you to look at..

Quick Reply: my SAS