2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power seat power mirrors don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Mikel_NY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all that have replied to this post and repaired the Orange wire w/ green tracer ...

Please reply with a measurement as to where the bad section is. start at the plug that this wire plugs into the fuse box.

Maybe I'm overlooking it but I cant find this area everyone is calling a "connection", "splice", etc.

As to MrFord350, my guess is that a Powerstroke would have a different wire harness than a gas motor (but that may only be under the hood).

I have the 2007 F150 XLT, 163", 8200 HD package. No peddles or power seat but No mirror function either.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
KVR1969
New User
Thanks a million to this forum and thread.

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum and I just picked up an '07 Super Crew. I absolutely love the vehicle. When I got it home I did discover that that the power seat/ mirror issue with a twinge of disappointment (and to make matters a bit more disconcerting, it meant that my wife couldn't drive the vehicle, which was a problem in and of itself because I had to do some sweet talking to get her to agree to the purchase!).

I called the Ford dealership where I purchased the truck, asked if they would help me out, and of course they never called back. So I pictured hours of trouble shooting with uncertain results, but then found this excellent thread. It outlined that exact problem with the corroded splice, and I literally had the problem fixed and the interior panels back on in a half hour, with the seat and mirrors back on line.

Awesome, you guys rock, and thank you for saving me a huge headache (and some marital tension)!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM
KVR1969
New User
Originally Posted by Mikel_NY
For all that have replied to this post and repaired the Orange wire w/ green tracer ...

Please reply with a measurement as to where the bad section is. start at the plug that this wire plugs into the fuse box.

Maybe I'm overlooking it but I cant find this area everyone is calling a "connection", "splice", etc.

As to MrFord350, my guess is that a Powerstroke would have a different wire harness than a gas motor (but that may only be under the hood).

I have the 2007 F150 XLT, 163", 8200 HD package. No peddles or power seat but No mirror function either.

Mikel_NY, I didn't measure the exact distance from fuse box to splice, but it is buried in a bundle of about fifty other wires just above where the bundle curves up from the floor heading towards the fusebox. And the splice is on the bottom of the pack of course where the floor gets wet for some reason, with the moisture being the obvious cause of the problem (one theory I found in other threads is that the moisture is caused by a factory misrouted A/C condensor drain tube). There are two wires spliced into one, with what looks like friction tape making up the splice. It is rather hard to find and i had to carefully split the wrapping in order to separate the bundle enough to find it. Hope this helps some other folks.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM
mango713
New User
pic for wiring

Originally Posted by gad4wd
I have the same problem on my 06 but do not have power seats or pedals. I replaced the switch and it did not work. So I got on here and searched and found the info on the orange/green wire. I removed the fues box cover and trim and could not find the splice. Is it behind the fues box or right below. Anybody have any pictures. Thanks
Just had same issue. Seat went front that was it. power mirrors didn't work, pedals didn't move more than an inch. Found splice mentioned in previous posts, repaired. Took a pic because I had the same question too. I just ripped into it and found it. It was pretty obvious.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Eric Harang
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 f30

I also cannot find this wire on my 2010 f30. Any help.
Originally Posted by mrford350
Gents, I have an 08 F-350 Powerstroke with all of the same symptoms mentioned above, including an airbag light. I cannot find a green wire with an orange stripe and am pulling what little hair I have left, out. Is the wire a different color in the '08 trucks? Does someone have a picture of the mysterious orange wire and green stripe? Thanks!

2008 F-350 Lariat, 4x4 Offroad, Crew Cab/Short bed, K&N Cold Air, DPF Delete, 3 pod A-pillar mount w EGT, Battery Voltage and Oil Pressure, Edge Racing Performance Tuner, 35/12.50$20 Mickey Thompson ATZs, Kenwood DDX 470 Touch Screen Stereo

Old 03-12-2016, 11:02 AM
ohm529
New User
No splice

I'm having the same problem. I opened the wire bundle below the fuse box and discovered there were 2 orange/green wires leading all the way up into the fuse box. I opened the cover all the way back to the B pillar and didn't find a splice. Any ideas of what else could be causing the issue? My driver's seat, adjustable pedals, and power mirrors are not working. Someone else mentioned their airbag light being on, mine is on as well.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Kyflafordgirl
New User
You helped me fix my truck when 2 mechanics couldn't

Thank you Glen! My excursion has been in my garage for a month with my husband who is a mechanic and another mechanic and neither one could figure out why seats and power mirrors weren't working! I got sick n tired of waiting! I googled it, found this forum and went out to garage found the wire myself and traced it to a plug under the seat, sure enough it wasn't getting power so I couldn't find the splice so I took a new wire and ran to plug, all Works now!
Men don't listen and girls get stuff done. Wanna drive my dang truck! Not a Tahoe!
Thank you for your help.
Susie Handy-Rountree in Ky

Old 06-18-2016, 03:49 PM
dallasag81
New User
Wire Splice Issue Fix is Perfect

In the words of Gomer Pyle, Thank You Thank You Thank You. Fortunately I found this fix via Google without wasting too much time. Here's the quick fix.
1. Take off the access panel to the fuse box (I guess you should pull the #3 fuse out to be safe, I didn't)
2. Remove the threshold on the passsenger side. Its the part you step on or over when you get in the truck. It's plastic and just pulls off. Get your finger under the end where the door hinges and work your way to the other end, there are five force fit connectors, give each a quick jerk to get them loose)
3 Remove the kickpanel on the passenger side. It's the trim next to the fuse box and transitions to the door. There's a force fit plastic rivet kind of thingy that fastens into the steel frame at the top. I used a large blade screw driver to loosen it a little then used a claw hammer to pull it out. Then work the rubber door seal to get your finger under the panel at the top and give it a quick jerk. It has force fit connectors. I think there were three.
4. The orange and blue stripe wire and splice are in a large group (about 1.25 inch in diameter) going from the bottom of the fuse box area into the trough under the door jamb. The wire bundle is fastened to the frame with a plastic rivet thingy. Use a needle nose pliers or dike to gently grab the rivet while using a large blade screw driver to pry the rivet out. Cut the electrical wrap and find the orange wire with blue stripe. It's a small gauge wire (about 18 or 20) when you find it follow it to the splice, it'll be wrapped in black-tar like tape. The wires I found were broken clean in two.
5. Take of the tape as best you can. Cut off the ends of the wires and strip about 1/4 to 3/8 inches (make sure you have good clean wire).
6. I recommend soldering in a splice. Here's how I did it. The wire from the fuse box is the single. The wires from the Door jamb trough are two wires. Rosin and prime/prep (coat with solder) the single wire. Twist to two wires fromo the door jamb together and then rosin and prime them. I used a 6 inch piece of lamp cord for my splice (it's hard to work in that area and you need a little extra to play with). Put two pieces of heat shrink (1.25 in each) on the wire and tape them in the middle of the wire (to keep them out of the way). Strip and rosin and prime 1/2 to 3/8 inch on each end of the splice with solder. Trim the ends of all the wires to 1/4 inch. Then complete the splice. Let the wire's cool briefly and then move the heat shrink in place and shrink it.
7. Put everything back in place. I used zip strips to join the splice back with all the other wires and to fasten the plastic rivet thingy back. Wrap with electrical tape. Put back in place and reattach all the panels and threshold.
8. Find your wife and do a victory dance, have a beer, and tell her how much money you saved.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM
rodney2006
New User
Dallis81
Thank you for your post. I have printed it out for my husband and son and will let you know what takes place.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
josh1095
Junior User
I have an 04 EB. My power seat WORKS, however the seat memory, power mirrors, and the foot pedal adj do NOT work.
I need something a little deeper than those horrible schematics in the Haynes manual. They really don't even have any of the 3 aformentioned items even listed in schematics(or block diagrams, more accurately)

Old 10-06-2016, 05:17 PM
way2slo777
New User
Thank you so much

Originally Posted by GlenFord150
Have the same problem on my 2005 F150. Dealer wanted more money than I had just to look at it. I found full set of repair manuals on ebay for $65 and repair the problem in about 2 hours.

The control power for the driver power seat, memory switch, adjustable pedals and minors all are on 5Amp fuse #3. The power circuit is orange with a light green stripe and is spliced just below the fuse box. At that splice joint the wires were broken, it looked as acid was in the wires splice. Cutout the bad part of the wires, spliced in a piece of wire and all worked.

Just remove the trim over the fuse panel. Peel the tape warp off the wiring and you will the wires. It is only 18gauge and the splice is right where the wires turn at the floorboard.

Hope this help.

Glen

Old 11-14-2016, 04:24 PM
kranch2007
New User
Originally Posted by GlenFord150
Have the same problem on my 2005 F150. Dealer wanted more money than I had just to look at it. I found full set of repair manuals on ebay for $65 and repair the problem in about 2 hours.

The control power for the driver power seat, memory switch, adjustable pedals and minors all are on 5Amp fuse #3. The power circuit is orange with a light green stripe and is spliced just below the fuse box. At that splice joint the wires were broken, it looked as acid was in the wires splice. Cutout the bad part of the wires, spliced in a piece of wire and all worked.

Just remove the trim over the fuse panel. Peel the tape warp off the wiring and you will the wires. It is only 18gauge and the splice is right where the wires turn at the floorboard.

Hope this help.

Glen
Guys, I just wanted to thank you all for this thread. I bought a '07 King Ranch new and recently the power mirror adjustment quit working (but would fold in), then the driver seat stopped working.
This thread was "spot on", I traced the orange/green wire from fuse box to the splice (as described it was corroded and snapped when moved). I spliced in a short wire and "voila" back working again. Got to love the power of information and a community willing to share it. Again, a huge thank you!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Scott Dressel
New User
Thanks everyone! awesome thread, I had all the same and now it's fixed... thanks again.
Scott

Old 09-17-2017, 06:48 PM
dandb
New User
power seat power mirrors don't work

That one guy is right where do I buy you guys some beers

The same thing happened to my 2005 ford F150 Lariat the driver seat and mirrors weren't working. I just bought the truck from someone and didn't notice it when I bought it ( wife was not happy). So I took to the internet and found these post. And they were right from the fuse box comes a orange cord with green stripes from the bottom of the box. Remove the fuse cover and side cover and then remove the floor rail strip. Follow the single orange cord down from the fuse box about 8 inches and it will be spiced into two other cords of the same collar at this Junction point is where it corrodes. Just re splice wires and your good to go.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 06:45 PM
f150nthusiest
New User
here is a pic of the broken wire

Quick Reply: power seat power mirrors don't work