Mini High Torque Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
gusso
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini High Torque Starter

Hi Guys,

I put a mini hi torque starter on my 312 ci in my `56 F-100 and the mini starter has it`s own soleniod. I want to eliminate the origional starter solenoid. I`m a little confused as to how to rewire the above. On the
mini starter solenoid there is 1 spade connection and a connection for a battery to starter cable. How do I reroute the other wires now on original solenoid? Thanks Guys.

Gary

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
The way I did it which is the same as the kit is this:

The small wire on the fender mount solenoid stays there.

The solenoid to starter cable will now move to the battery side of the solenoid so that it always has 12 volts.

The now empty large starter terminal on the fender solenoid will have a 12 ga. wire running from that post to the small post on the starter.

Basically it is doing this to spread the high amp load over 2 relays/solenoids, which brings the failure rate of the fender solenoid down drastically.

All it is doing is converting the old 91 and older wiring to the 93 and up style.

I wouldn't remove that fender solenoid from the circuit.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 PM
gusso
Elder User
Thanks, downhillpat
Question about the "now empty large starter terminal on the fender solenoid" 12 ga. wire,
can I assume this wire goes on the spade connection on the mini starter solenoid?
Appreciate your help here . Thanks.

Gary

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
I agree, I would keep the original solenoid, mainly for convenience. Ford often used the large terminal of the solenoid that goes to the battery for the connection point to feed the truck's 12 volt electrical system. If you eliminate the solenoid, you will have to move some of those smaller wires down to the bat terminal on the new starter, or hook them directly to the bat + on the battery itself.

A lot of the older vehicles also have a "I" terminal on the solenoid that is used to bypass the resistor to the coil when starting. You will lose this feature if your setup has it and you eliminate the solenoid.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by gusso
Thanks, downhillpat
Question about the "now empty large starter terminal on the fender solenoid" 12 ga. wire,
can I assume this wire goes on the spade connection on the mini starter solenoid?
Appreciate your help here . Thanks.

Gary
Yes, that's were it goes.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
gusso
Elder User
Thanks again Dave.

Gary