need coil help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
biggsexpedition
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need coil help please!

I searched to no avail....I bought my wife a 99 expedition w/ 5.4, 91K miles, bought it on friday, check engine light on saturday. PO304 cylinder 4 misfire, naturally the hardest one to change. I have the new parts but for the life of me I cant even see the dang thing, what all do i have to pull to get to it? fuel rail? heater hoses? gosh it looks like a serious PITA, any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nothing but the 7mm hold down bolt. It's back there.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
biggsexpedition
New User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Nothing but the 7mm hold down bolt. It's back there.
thanks for the reply, i tackled it last night, what a total pain, i have cuts all over my hands, its fixed, but there is no longer a bolt holding it down, that little sucker is mia, next time it goes to a mechanic. Now to try and fix a clank noise when turning at full lock (AWD)....hope its not bad

Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 AM
broncoman85
Senior User
Hey bigexp get a long magnet, buy'em at the parts store, long flexible magnet. Push it in right beside the alternator all the way to the back of the engine and fish it around, I'll bet you come out with the bolt thats where they always seem to go.
Changing the #4 coil isn't that bad, pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover and wire tie it and the heater hoses over to the brackets holding the plastic cover over the throttle body, then you can reach in alot easier.
You wanna talk about a pain just wait till you need to pull and replace that engine (just finished doing it on my 01 S-crew. Later Whit

Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Since this truck is new to you I figure I should mention that the most common cause of a misfire code isn't a bad coil. It's water down in the hole. Just the least little bit of condensation and it will misfire. All you have to do is pull the coil and boot, blow it off, smear dielectric grease all over the boot inside and out and reinstall it. Dielectric grease should be put on whenever you pull a coil for any reason.
If it's rained recently, or you just bought it from a used car lot that got a little happy with the pressure washer then I'd bet that was all it was. I see too many people waste money on coils when it's not needed. You can buy new plug boots cheap from almost anywhere too.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
biggsexpedition
New User
Originally Posted by RRranch
Since this truck is new to you I figure I should mention that the most common cause of a misfire code isn't a bad coil. It's water down in the hole. Just the least little bit of condensation and it will misfire. All you have to do is pull the coil and boot, blow it off, smear dielectric grease all over the boot inside and out and reinstall it. Dielectric grease should be put on whenever you pull a coil for any reason.
If it's rained recently, or you just bought it from a used car lot that got a little happy with the pressure washer then I'd bet that was all it was. I see too many people waste money on coils when it's not needed. You can buy new plug boots cheap from almost anywhere too.
thanks! Well as big as a pain as this was, i was just replacing that coil anyhow, but there was not condensation whatsoever on the coil or boot, so i was sure it was the coil, as it turned out to be. I read everything i could about the issue from this forum and went from there. With these forums online, anyone can become a master diagnostition thanks again guys