Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Hummer For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer For Sale

I was reading the paper awhile ago and noticed that the Hummer name is for sale by GM. The article said that GM had until Tuesday to sell the name or put it to rest. My question is-Would anybody here like to see Ford pick up Hummer and if so do you think they could do any better with it?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
GM is no getting rid of it for a reason. I shure wouldn't want Ford to buy it. Hummers have to be some of the ugliest vehicles on the road. The H1 is a an offroad animal but for half the price you could build and offraod rig that will outperform it. I say good riddens to the H2 mall crawlers that get worse mpg than my SD. Ford needs to modify their offerings also IMO.

I would get rid of the following if I was GM

GM or Chevy (Pick one)
Pontiac
Hummer
Saab

Getting rid of Saturn doesn't really make sense to me but.... Having GM and Chevy is stupid IMO pcik one and don't get so special parts produced. (Goes for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury also...consolodate) Saab and Pontiac I never thought much of. Could axe buik too in the US. Of course Buicks are/were selling like hotcakes in China and the old people would probably be pissed if buick is gone.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
The gas crunch started the slow sales of the H2 & H3, and now the economy has only furthered the lack of sales. Hummer is basically a money pit to GM now.

The current Wranglers, FJ's and most LR's are better off-road vehicles then either the H2 and H3, provide better mpgs and ride roughly the same on drive pavement. These trucks are strictly a status symbol.

And hell no I wouldn't want Ford to purchase them. Ford just did away with Jag and LR a while ago due to the money pit issue, and may be doing the same with Volvo if they haven't already.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I'd like to see an H1 with a 3v Ford V10 powerplant. While I dont think it would be financially sound for Ford to pick up Hummer it would be something I'd like to see just for all the ways Ford could improve it.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkf
The H1 is a an offroad animal but for half the price you could build and offraod rig that will outperform it. I would get rid of the following if I was GM

GM or Chevy (Pick one)
Pontiac
Hummer
Saab
Not so sure about building an offroad rig better than the original HMMWV, those things are brutal off road.

Also, if GM gets rid of GM, wouldn't that mean that it is completely gone?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ya.....hmmwv's and H1's were rediculous off road....I'd take one today...

I think he meant get rid of gmc....

and buick is the only gm division that could stand on its own....its quite profitable...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
and buick is the only gm division that could stand on its own....its quite profitable...
I always thought that the Corvette line might be able to stand on its own.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
I always thought that the Corvette line might be able to stand on its own.
Funny you should mention that because not long ago, I read that Chrysler was looking at selling the Viper and its rights to it. They were looking at and talking to a couple of companies IIRC. Funny how they would look at only selling the Viper but if it helps them recover...

While the consumer Hummers have appealed to many, they have been the targets of the "Greenies" since the introduction of the H2. I would imagine if Ford were in a position to buy other brands instead of selling them off, Hummer would probably be last on the list.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i beleive SAAB is already DOA...

Saab Bankrupt

was watching the business news chnl this eve. and news about GM is REALLY getting bleak.. i wont be at all surprized if they go completly under... with Chrysler right behind em...

GM def. suffers from a lineup with WAYYYYYY to many replicated vehicles..Saturn has always been a moneysink for GM... surprized that brand still exists..

hell they dont even sell what they started making anymore.. anyone remeber the plastic panels ??? now they sell imported UK vehicles rebranded as Saturns...

BAH i say let the giant fall, im sure out of the ash's someone will pick up the peices boot the union and make a car company that can make money out of the mess..

just hope Ford weathers this storm and learns from everything thats happening..

p.s. i beleive strongly Ford needs to do 1 of 2 things with Lincoln..

either step up and start making ACTUAL highend luxury brand vehicles, not rebadged FORD cars/trucks, and make a huge leap in styling/quality of materials...

or let the brand die off for now....

right now every new Lincoln we get feels just like its Ford counterpart.. such a shame...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Ford just got rid of Land Rover. Why would anyone even imagine that Ford would want Hummer? Maybe GM can sell it to Tata, who bought LR and Jaguar from Ford.

Jim

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Ford Major
Freshman User
I hope GM ditches Hummer.
The H2 CAN however offroad, if you are not concerned about breaking something. A friends dad has one, it was fun watching him ram the thing past double diamond trails.

That said, I still rate H2 and H3s on the same level as Escalades and Prius.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Thats real insulting to the Prius.

Jim

Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
ya.....hmmwv's and H1's were rediculous off road....I'd take one today...

I think he meant get rid of gmc....

Yes I meant the GMC line. Yep H1s are great offroad but you could build something better offroad for less money than a new H1. I just don't see the H1 being a good civilian vehicle mainly due to price.

Corvette has to stay around, It is the official mid life crisis vehicle of america.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Ford Major
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Thats real insulting to the Prius.

Jim

The Escalade and Prius are cars that I hate, but let me say, it is just my opinion, I am not bashing their owners.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
rambuck
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
GM is no getting rid of it for a reason. I shure wouldn't want Ford to buy it. Hummers have to be some of the ugliest vehicles on the road. The H1 is a an offroad animal but for half the price you could build and offraod rig that will outperform it. I say good riddens to the H2 mall crawlers that get worse mpg than my SD. Ford needs to modify their offerings also IMO.

I would get rid of the following if I was GM

GM or Chevy (Pick one)
Pontiac
Hummer
Saab

Getting rid of Saturn doesn't really make sense to me but.... Having GM and Chevy is stupid IMO pcik one and don't get so special parts produced. (Goes for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury also...consolodate) Saab and Pontiac I never thought much of. Could axe buik too in the US. Of course Buicks are/were selling like hotcakes in China and the old people would probably be pissed if buick is gone.
I see where you are going with the whole idea of getting rid of GMC or Chevy, but it lies in the fact that they both sell quite well in the N.A. market. Although GMC never made sense to me, but I like it better than Chevy. Chevy is too large of a brand.

Saab is going to be a stand alone brand once again.

Hummer is being sold I believe back to AM General.

Saturn is a relatively pointless brand, imo. It is suppose to be a "Cheap, Euro-styled" brand. I read today that they are going to be sold off and a company, not sure which, is going to turn it into a high-end luxury brand.

Pontiac will probably fold like Olds did in 2004, which is unfortunate for a car company single-handedly ruined by GM in early 2000's.

The only brands going to survive, as rumors fly around, are Chevy, GMC, Caddilac, Buick, Vauxhall, Holden, and Opel (the last 3 are non-US brands of course)

Ford is just going to refocus and get rid of the PAG and only have Mazda (by a thread). But you say for FoMoCo to consolidate their three main brands? Why? Each represents different classes of vehicles. Lincoln = luxury brand; Mercury = Entry-luxury; Ford = Basic. They compete with different brands. Ford with Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc; Lincoln with Caddilac, Infiniti, Lexus, etc.; Mercury with Chrysler, Buick, etc.

But back on GM and Buick. You are so right, which makes little sense to me on China, but hey it must be a trend.

Quick Reply: Hummer For Sale