1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

I really need some help on this one!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 AM
skika
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need some help on this one!!!

I have a 99 5.4 Triton, I have this click/tick/really annoying sound that kicks in when I start my truck. I have never heard her make it before and three different shops have kicked her back with a clean bill of health (except the last dealer who told me about an exhaust leak that is soon to be fixed with the help of a full exhaust that is en-route).

So this noise kicks in just above idle, but doesn't last more than two minutes after start. I have left it at all but the last dealer overnight so they could see it on a cold start. nothing... I kinda feel ripped .

I have run detergent additive and ATF after a friend told me it might be a sticky lifter, bad idea, changed the oil twice in a day, don't do that with this engine.

I want to get this fixed now before i re-install a lift on it, I am replacing the 8 in that the previous owner had with a 4 in, more appropriate for the **** Republic of California.

Here is everything that I have found that is being fixed or has been fixed in the last three months if it might help:
(3 Months ago) Blew spark plug, helicoil, runs fine, did not leave metal in head/cylander
(1 Month ago) Engine Code, random misfire, nothing done, just cleared the code and it was fine
**Exhaust leak, same bank as funky sound
**Dumb dealer in Idaho installed non-sealed boots on joints, couldn't do anything about it my mom took it in, I was in Iraq, being replaced tuesday
**For some reason my odo cuts out randomly

Anyone have an idea?

If you got any info it would be appreciated, I'm tired of the squids at the base gate laughing when I come through.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM
leforrest
Senior User
How come this couldn't be the usual manifold leak?

My truck leaks on a cold startup, but when the manifold warms up, it expands and almost reaseals eliminating the noise when the metal gets hot.

Maybe it, maybe not. Just a thought. It could just be THAT SMALL of a leak. You don't even hear my leak til I put the engine under load.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
skika
New User
I get the sound just above idle, however, the mechanics have assured me that there is not a leak of any sort. I had paid the dealer over a hundred bucks to pull the covers off and let me know for sure (that was one of my first guesses along with the lifter, just too busy to check them out myself). Well this may just remain a mystery for a little bit until I finish my new one to throw in.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like piston slap or an exhaust leak. Both go away when the engine is warm.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
skika
New User
Is the piston slap something that needs to be fixed ASAP? It sure sounds like it... I know I have the exhaust leak, I bought some headers that should be here tomorrow, I can throw them on, hopefully it fixes it... thanks for the info

Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Does it make the noise when you accelerate, and almost (or totally) go away when you coast?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM
skika
New User
It is there for a couple of minutes, it does that when it is there though.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
If it gets louder when you get on it, and quieter when you let off, it really sounds like an exhaust leak.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
jnicho6
New User
My 97 did the same thing it turn out to be the timing tensioner. the garage wanted to change the chain, tensioner, guides and with the labor it would have cost up to 2 grand. That was 16,000 miles ago. still runs like a top.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
I agree that it sounds like piston slap. It's a known issue with the earlier 5.4's and is no cause for concern. The piston skirt is a little shorter than it needs to be. As far as exhaust leak goes, make sure you check the maniold bolts. Rusted exhaust manifold bolts are a primary cause of exhaust leaks and a new exhaust system won't fix the problem.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The odo cut in and out is a known problem with the soldering, I have it on my 99.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Originally Posted by SSG VA BEACH
The odo cut in and out is a known problem with the soldering, I have it on my 99.
Here's the fix

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lem-fixed.html

Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea...do the solder fix....I did that on my 01 about a year agao and it fixed the issue. I'm also having the noise issue, I've come to believe that it's the infamous "piston slap" as it goes away once it warms up. I also here what sounds like a manifold leak, but have yet to find anything at all. I think the previous owner may have changed out the studs prior to me owning it, because my studs have just the slightest rust on them. I think these fender skirts could have been longer...they barely come down to the top of the upper control arm!!
Rich

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 AM
jlfxdwg
New User
Engine Noise

I recently replaced a rear end and tranny in my 2001, F150, Crewcab Lariat.

I was amazed when I dropped the exhaust pipes and flanges off from the manifold. Usually one would find some kind of donut as a sealing gasket at that particular junction.

No, not Ford. It's metal to metal at the flange to manifold interface. I had to heat the nuts with a torch to loosen them. I think by the color of the stud, nut and flange that they were heated to install them as well.

When I put it back together it was tricky lining it up to seal but so far, so good. No leaks. And yes, I heated them to re-install them.

Maybe yours is leaking at that junction and just needs to be loosened, adjusted and retightened?