1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904; leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Ross Man. I worked hard on it. Now I just got to get all the linkage hooked up to it correctly.

Hey Rat Man, can you post a picture of your carb from the side so that I can how the carb links up to the choke and throttle assembly coming from the firewall area? It looks like there should have been a large return spring somehow on the throttle linkage, but mine didn't have it. thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok now i'm not going to be a wise a-- . what kinda fuel pump you running ???? the old carbs like your holley end the holley 94 that was / is on my flatty , can only handle like 3-4 pounds of pressure . any modern pump mechanical or electric is gonna be pushing from 7 -11 pounds and forcing fuel out of every available spot it can find on that carb . how do i know this ??? take a wild geuss what i had to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out till one of the guy's here told me that . oe pump took a pooper and i put an electric on that was pushing 8 pounds . fuel everywhere including the oil pan !!!!!!! i got a regulator on mine and it's down to 2.5 pounds , runs fine , and NO LEAKS !!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
53rat
Senior User
Thanks guys for all you help. I went ahead and took off the bowl cover again. And while I was at it I took off the fuel line and took a look at the inlet screw. Turns out all you need is a flat head screw driver. So I took out the fuel inlet and float assembly, pulled the pin and took the needle. Cleaned everything with card cleaner and a rag. Took the float and dunked it a glass of water to check for leaks. None found. The needle does have a rubber tip and seam to seal up the fuel inlet nice and tight. I blew into the inlet had it was air tight. After another shot of card cleaner I reassembled everything and fired up the engine. And to my amazement NO LEAKS!!!!! (so far anyway) I owe it all to you guys. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
53rat
Senior User
Here's the a pic of my fuel pump you can see it on the bottom there. As far as I know it's an original type. After the thorough cleaning I don't seem to have anymore leaks. But I only drove it around the block, last night. If it starts to leak again I can explore the fule pump, but until then I think it's good. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

No problem brotha. That's what this site is for.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
gdiazj
New User
Squirting 1904

Hi. I've taken my 1904 Holley back to the carb shop three times because of a leak at the bottom of the fuel bowl, and because it is squirting gas out of the vent.

I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Any advice on where to put the regulator in the line? Also, can I replace the old steel fuel line with a rubber or steel braided line?

I appreciate any advice you have.

George

Originally Posted by 55 f350
ok now i'm not going to be a wise a-- . what kinda fuel pump you running ???? the old carbs like your holley end the holley 94 that was / is on my flatty , can only handle like 3-4 pounds of pressure . any modern pump mechanical or electric is gonna be pushing from 7 -11 pounds and forcing fuel out of every available spot it can find on that carb . how do i know this ??? take a wild geuss what i had to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out till one of the guy's here told me that . oe pump took a pooper and i put an electric on that was pushing 8 pounds . fuel everywhere including the oil pan !!!!!!! i got a regulator on mine and it's down to 2.5 pounds , runs fine , and NO LEAKS !!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gdiazj
Hi. I've taken my 1904 Holley back to the carb shop three times because of a leak at the bottom of the fuel bowl, and because it is squirting gas out of the vent.

I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Any advice on where to put the regulator in the line? Also, can I replace the old steel fuel line with a rubber or steel braided line?

I appreciate any advice you have.

George
I recently had two glass bowl 1904s rebuilt. When I came to pick them up, I noticed that they were still leaking at the bottom. The reason why these carbs leak is because the housing around the bowl gets distorted and stretched at the screw areas. If you look at the profile of your carb in the bowl area you'll probably notice that it's not really flat on both sides of the carb. Usually the screw-in area on the carb is pointed more out and above/below the screw-in area is likely slightly bent back. Because fuel collects at the bottom of the bowl, that's why it leaks out of the bottom.

My rebuilder ended up making a custom gasket that is thicker than the original and/or the one included in the rebuild kit. After he made the gasket, it stopped leaking, so far.

I have a Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator. I placed it after the mechanical pump and before the carb. I also have a small fuel filter placed after the mechanical fuel pump and before the fuel pressure regulator. To make this easier: mechanical pump => fuel filter => regulator => carb.

As for the fuel lines, you don't want to use a rubber hose longer than 3-4" to carry your fuel. Steel braided lines should be ok as long as they're made to handle gasoline.

I have a short length rubber hose coming out from the tank and into an electrical fuel pump. Then another short length rubber hose from the electrical fuel pump into the steel fuel line. Before the fuel line gets to the mechanical fuel pump, I also have a short length rubber hose from the steel line into the mechanical pump. From the mechanical pump I have a short length rubber hose going into the fuel fiter, then into the regulator and from the regulator into a metal fuel line going out to the carb.

Hope this helps.