Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys This is the place to check out offers from FTE sponsors. Non-sponsor vendors may not post here.

Finally the CCV Mod kit is done...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Not to diss, but you are basically negating any effect the CCV mod does for the truck by running it back to the intake. The dog house is already stuffed full of SS wool, so running it back to a catch can with more SS wool only adds restriction. Plus the SS wool will not take all the oil out of the mist, and you will still be dumping oily mist into your inake, and IC. There is a reason that International vents theirs to the atomosphere.

And, no Costa, nothing will get coated with oil. The smell is not as bad as you have been lead to believe. Yeah sure it stinks if you get under the truck while it is running and directly breathe the vapors out of the hose, but if you in the carpool line waiting for your kids to get out of school, you will not see other folks opening their doors to throw up after getting a wiff. I guess what I am saying is that it dissapates VERY quickly, and only if the wind is just right will you ever smell it while sitting in at a red light with the windows down.

OC is good sometimes Costa, but you are over thinking this. In the three years that I have had my CCV open to atmosphere (oh, and BTW I am running dual CCVs, one on the filler tube, and one on the doghouse) I have yet to see a drop of oil in my driveway from it.
I used to get quite a chug of smelly crap from the end of the hose, after switching to Rotella T it has decreased a lot. My big complaint (which is mostly my fault) is that the end of the hose was right behind the rear door, so every time I was loading one of my kiddos into the truck I was right there in the thick of it. I'm still undecided on building a trap for it... I think I'm going to shorten the hose up a bit and try that for a while.
Out of curiosity, where does your hose end Brandon?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I used to get quite a chug of smelly crap from the end of the hose, after switching to Rotella T it has decreased a lot. My big complaint (which is mostly my fault) is that the end of the hose was right behind the rear door, so every time I was loading one of my kiddos into the truck I was right there in the thick of it. I'm still undecided on building a trap for it... I think I'm going to shorten the hose up a bit and try that for a while.
Out of curiosity, where does your hose end Brandon?
Right in front of the fuel tank.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
sideshow
Elder User
The smell is not as bad as you have been lead to believe. Yeah sure it stinks if you get under the truck while it is running and directly breathe the vapors out of the hose, but if you in the carpool line waiting for your kids to get out of school, you will not see other folks opening their doors to throw up after getting a wiff. I guess what I am saying is that it dissapates VERY quickly, and only if the wind is just right will you ever smell it while sitting in at a red light with the windows down.
In my personal experience, this was not the case. There were A LOT of times in the spring/summer when everybody is cruising withe the windows down, that I saw/heard people beside me rolling up their windows and/or point to my truck while "fanning" the fumes away from their noses. Obviously at speed you wouldn't smell it, but if I was stopped, I COULD smell it easy. Unless the wind was blowing really hard, it was noticeable.

Now I may be the exception and not the rule, but the fumes bugged the crap out of me, so I ran them to a catchcan, and back into the END of the filter (where the useless filterminder is supposed to go when you do the 6637). So far, after checking, there is NO OILY mist going thru my tubes. Everything stays clean, or relative clean, since I travel some dusty dirt roads and dust ends up on everything anyway.

And, maybe mine was blowing more fumes than others. I tried the oil cap trick, and there isn't enough fumes to knock it off, so I dont' think there is too much blowby. Point being, that mine was noticeable to me and others, and I didn't want people pointing and give any more ammo to those who think diesels are dirty.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
MX_Fyrcaptain
Senior User
Kevin, I like your intake tube off of the 6637. Clay is putting something like that together.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Right in front of the fuel tank.
What oil you running now Brandon?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clay, Looks good!

I am going to at some point run mine (both of them)... Into the exhaust.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Clay, Looks good!

I am going to at some point run mine (both of them)... Into the exhaust.
Thought I had heard someone tried that and it caused back pressure into the crankcase?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
What oil you running now Brandon?
Delo 15/40 dino.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 818 Likes on 624 Posts
Originally Posted by sideshow
In my personal experience, this was not the case. There were A LOT of times in the spring/summer when everybody is cruising withe the windows down, that I saw/heard people beside me rolling up their windows and/or point to my truck while "fanning" the fumes away from their noses. Obviously at speed you wouldn't smell it, but if I was stopped, I COULD smell it easy. Unless the wind was blowing really hard, it was noticeable.

Now I may be the exception and not the rule, but the fumes bugged the crap out of me, so I ran them to a catchcan, and back into the END of the filter (where the useless filterminder is supposed to go when you do the 6637). So far, after checking, there is NO OILY mist going thru my tubes. Everything stays clean, or relative clean, since I travel some dusty dirt roads and dust ends up on everything anyway.

And, maybe mine was blowing more fumes than others. I tried the oil cap trick, and there isn't enough fumes to knock it off, so I dont' think there is too much blowby. Point being, that mine was noticeable to me and others, and I didn't want people pointing and give any more ammo to those who think diesels are dirty.
This little bit of trivia has been rolling around in the back of my mind for a while now.
I'm considering restoring the CCV back to stock, (please no tar and feathers, gang. ).
Reason for that is there is a very small amount of fuel value in the blowby gasses and there is a small chance that it will increase my fuel economy by doing so.
Mostly just rambling about it, however.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking kit you put together there Clay - Almost wish mine was'nt done already!!As far as the smell I use the rotella and it's not bad at all. Course, I love the smell of CCV mist in the morning

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Nice looking kit you put together there Clay - Almost wish mine was'nt done already!!As far as the smell I use the rotella and it's not bad at all. Course, I love the smell of CCV mist in the morning
Almost makes me want to go start the truck and huff it right now

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you put a filter on it won't that stop most of the residue and still keep it contained? I am with you all with Schaeffers it looks like my engine is burning down its really rough at a long wait at the drive thru.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by jdecker88
If you put a filter on it won't that stop most of the residue and still keep it contained? I am with you all with Schaeffers it looks like my engine is burning down its really rough at a long wait at the drive thru.
I actually think its funny when people ask if its burning Kinda like with my stacks being on only a week I have had 3 people ask if they were real Who the heck puts on fake stacks??

Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
I actually think its funny when people ask if its burning Kinda like with my stacks being on only a week I have had 3 people ask if they were real Who the heck puts on fake stacks??
This guy: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...on06/chevy.jpg

Of course he also drives a Chebby....

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
This guy: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...on06/chevy.jpg

Of course he also drives a Chebby....
Wow, that is terrible!!