Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
clockgod1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is back! Next week a new ps pump.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cbradford
Well then I would say that you are losing pressure somewhere either a pump or a stuck open relief valve in PS pump or maybe a worn rotary valve in steering box. I think the best thing to do is find a shop with a Power Steering Analyzer and have them check your system this would save you from throwing parts at it and maybe worth the $75-$100 bucks. It's what I would have to do because I don't have the equipment and from reading the service information on page 6 in this post the pressure (750psi) and flow(1gal/min) need to be checked.
Thanks for the info. At $61 and with 140k miles on it I think I will change the pump when it quits raining here.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by clockgod1
The problem is back! Next week a new ps pump.
Keep us posted on the pump.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:16 PM
disturban
New User
Update on my Chevy...1100 miles now and no problems! Forsure the PS pump, I was laughing reading the post about ABS sensors because my Suburban was doing the same thing and I dont have ABS. I replaced all links, drag, tie rods, sway bar bushings, front end alignment, new tires, axle u joints, I have manual lock out hubs. New wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, ball joints...the only things left was the PS pump and gear box. I decided to do the pump because someone else changed their gear box and still had the problem. I drive this every day and have not had any issues in over two weeks and I would usually experience it at least once or twice a week.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by disturban
Update on my Chevy...1100 miles now and no problems! Forsure the PS pump, I was laughing reading the post about ABS sensors because my Suburban was doing the same thing and I dont have ABS. I replaced all links, drag, tie rods, sway bar bushings, front end alignment, new tires, axle u joints, I have manual lock out hubs. New wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, ball joints...the only things left was the PS pump and gear box. I decided to do the pump because someone else changed their gear box and still had the problem. I drive this every day and have not had any issues in over two weeks and I would usually experience it at least once or twice a week.
Thanks, that's great. I will make the pump my next venture. I would keep that truck of yours as it is almost new now

Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Originally Posted by disturban
Hi there disturban. I posted to this thread to find answers and when I realized that our truck problem was not exactly the same as those on here I created my own threads. Our problem was front end back and forth severe sway and loss of steering- to where the steering wheel would spin completely around- not steering wheel motion back and forth so our problem was not the same as yours. The sway back and forth was our thrust washer, snap ring and dust seal for the hub. The steering problem was the faulty signal from the wheel sensor. Ford may be putting out an updated bulletin on this as others have called in with similar problems with loss of steering. It has been over a week and no more intermittent steering loss at all. Very solid after the replaced sensor.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Fixxer777
New User
Did you ever solve this problem EXv10??

I have the same problem with a 2002 F350 7.3L

Just changed the PS pump and no change.... Much like a ghost ripping the wheel left/right/left/right over and over again until I stop and turn the wheel side to side to get rid of what feels like a bind.

Going to be doing the box tomorrow, as I cant see it being anything else at this point (EVERYTHING has been checked, and it has been narrowed to the power/hyd. system... be it the pump/box/hyd. boost ect...)

Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Had to bump this thread again. That sonofabitch is back in my steering. Replaced the power steering pump last week. WTF. Anybody solve this yet?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
steering problem

I thought I found the problem when I found the nuts missing on my steering knuckle which caused the right front stub shaft to bind but a few days later it was back so I changed the PS pump yesterday and it was fine all all so I thought it was fixed again but now it's back again today! I was hesitant about changing the PS gearbox because I heard reports of other people changing it to no avail. Also, I want to do it myself and don't have a wrench fot the big nut on the pitman arm and the puller for it but it looks like that is what it is.
I'm starting to think that the other people didn't have the same problem so changing the steering box didn't help them. My problem sounds exactly like the above 2 posts and Pinky; thanks for bumping the post again.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Fixxer777
New User
I drove it again tonight after installing the new power steering pump and it actually did something new. It made a slight grinding noise as I rounded the last corner coming home (as it was doing the ghost wheel, all over the place thing).

It has to be the box, what else could bind so hard its fighting the new power steering pump AND grinding/binding as I turn the wheel (turning either way, it doesnt matter)? Its random in how often it happens and how bad, but seems to be getting more constant and worse the longer it goes.

I also am a mechanic of more than a few years and have never seen stuff like this (The binding, yes... But the wheel binding back and forth over and over like that, never).

Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fixxer777
I drove it again tonight after installing the new power steering pump and it actually did something new. It made a slight grinding noise as I rounded the last corner coming home (as it was doing the ghost wheel, all over the place thing).

It has to be the box, what else could bind so hard its fighting the new power steering pump AND grinding/binding as I turn the wheel (turning either way, it doesnt matter)? Its random in how often it happens and how bad, but seems to be getting more constant and worse the longer it goes.

I also am a mechanic of more than a few years and have never seen stuff like this (The binding, yes... But the wheel binding back and forth over and over like that, never).
That's the same for me. The hardest problems to diagnose are the intermittent ones. Strange steering box (If thats it), it does put out a lot of force that comes from somewhere, that's why I'm not ruling out the problem I have with my right wheel hub. The stub shaft that goes through the wheel hub and into the locking hub is crooked in there for some reason. When I re-installed the EOSF hub after servicing it it woudn't go back on without some help from a big mallet. That problem might have been caused by the guys that left the 2 nuts (of the 4) off the knuckle last year when I have the BJs put in. When I turn the right u-joint with a big screwdriver it springs back due to the parts binding in the EOSF hub. We shall see........
I am going to remove my right hub for a while tomorrow in an attempt to eliminate the problem. Also; I'm not so sure your box is binding as it could be a fluctuating valve in there that re-directs the oil and the proposed turning assist becomes chaos ????????? Also; i might add that my steering wheel has zero play in it.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Fixxer777
New User
Very true, it could still be a few things... But after looking at everything else and replacing the PS pump/steering damper to no avil, I think my only bet is the box itself (If it be a valve getting stuck or the whole thing just binding).

Couldent get the new box in because of weather today, should be going in Sunday. Hopefully this corrects the issue, as I cant see it being anything else and its getting worse as time goes on.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fixxer777
Very true, it could still be a few things... But after looking at everything else and replacing the PS pump/steering damper to no avil, I think my only bet is the box itself (If it be a valve getting stuck or the whole thing just binding).

Couldent get the new box in because of weather today, should be going in Sunday. Hopefully this corrects the issue, as I cant see it being anything else and its getting worse as time goes on.
Keep us posted.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
At first, I thought this issue only happened when I was towing a trailer, but today, I ran some errands around town, and it happened twice.

And I had the power steering pump replaced. BTW, mine is a 250 Crewcab 4x4 with the short bed and V10.

In the interest of this problem, let's do a survey, or maybe get a poll going, to determine the specs on everybodys' trucks.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Fixxer777
New User
Already posted mine, but the long version would be 2002 F350 7.3L 4x4 Short bed/Ex cab Lariat. I know I should not have posted in the Ex forum, but its the only place I could find someone with the EXACT same problem. Its a plow truck, which leads me to believe the plow duty this winter did a number on the box and now its fighting back.

The power steering fluid was kind of low when I bought it, so much that I had to add some. The low fluid could have damaged the box and pump way before, and it was only a matter of time for both. And if its the box, it was only making the old pump and the new pump work harder.

I do not think (cant remember, unless yours is a diesel) the Ex has the Hydroboost, so I can rule that out right off the bat since you dont even have it and have the SAME problem. I just replaced the PS pump and it still does it, but once again it makes a slight grinding noise while turning the wheel now. This new noise combined with the fact that theres really nothing else that could do this makes me believe its the steering box.

I am glad I did not go to tow with it and have this happen, that would be terrible.

Quick Reply: Steering problem (wheel jerks back and forth)