1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie - Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
sgoodwin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie - Wheel Question

Hi, I'm new here and I think I've dug through everything and can't find the answer. I want to upgrade the suspension/brakes on my 49 F1. I understand if I use the Explorer rear end and a new IFS, I'll achieve the much better suspension/brakes. But, it will change the bolt pattern to 5x4.5. My dilemma is I want to keep the stock wheel/hubcap look.
Does anyone know of any wheels that will fit the new bolt pattern, but that I can still keep the Ford hubcaps (or something really close). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. Glad to have you on board. If you go with an aftermarket IFS you should be able to order it with the desired lug pattern. As far as the rear, there may be several options. I think wheel adapters are avail. Julie has experience with these and should chime in with some info. You may also be able to have the axels redrilled for the proper pattern. Others with more info should offer more suggestions. Hope this helps.

Gil

Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can purchase new steel wheels that look very close to the original. Check out www.newstalgiawheel. com or google wheel vintiques, or stockton wheel. These should give you some ideas of what is available both in wheels and caps.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
sgoodwin
New User
Perfect! Thank you so much! Found exactly what I wanted at Wheel Vintiques. They have the paintable wheel with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern that will work with my hubcaps.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
In short the answer is yes. I found the best buy in new wheels was thru Summit Racing. They sell "genie" series wheels in different diameters, widths, offsets and bolt patterns. That is what I did on my 49. Takes stock dogdish hubcaps with the nubs and vent slots. I have 15 x 8 on the rear with the 5 x 5 1/2 bc and 15 x 7 on the front with the dual bolt circle of 5 x 4 1/2 and 5 x 4 3/4.
EDIT
As I remember the Summit wheels are wheel vintique. The advantage from Summit is that their shipping prices are better that most and their wheels come powder coat primed, not bare

Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I have looked at a lot of sites and found that {earlywheel.com} seems to be the best bet so far but I am still searching.