Search this Thread

Old 12-31-1969, 06:00 PM
Surface rust on chrome grill

Old 01-09-2002, 05:35 PM
58Model
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Surface rust on chrome grill

I just bought a used 58 chrome grill that has a moderate amount of surface rust on it and the headlight doors.What is the best product and technique to try to remove it? Will it return down the road? Should I sandblast the grill and paint it white? Thanks for the input!

Old 01-09-2002, 09:27 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best luck I've had has been using a chrome polish like Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Shake it frequently, turning the can upside down while capping the top with a rag. The abrasives in the polish will settle to the bottom of the liquid, and frequent shaking keeps them dispersed in the polish. Try this first, using a good rag and elbow grease. If it doesn't work, you may consider using extra-fine steel wool with the chrome polish, but I'll caution that this may leave some very fine scratches in it. After it's cleaned up, about the best thing you can do to prevent more rust is to wax it frequently (short of finishing it with clear coat), or have it rechromed. If you go the latter route, have it triple-plated.

Old 01-10-2002, 07:26 PM
witt3696
Freshman User

try using a product called Neverdull. It's made by Eagle and comes in a miniature looking coffe can type container. It works really well on rust and you don't have to shake it because its a special clothe type material you use. Works really well on rust and just plain polishing too. You can get it at wal-mart or any parts store.

Old 01-12-2002, 05:55 AM
58Model
Senior User

Thanks, I'll try these out.