1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Rear leaf spring brackets rusted

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Chopper-Boyz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear leaf spring brackets rusted

I was working on my sons '96 Ranger today and noticed an upward dent in the bed, upon investigating I found that the right rear leaf spring frame bracket is rusted away along with the shackle. On the left side its almost as bad. Can I get aftermarket spring brackets, bushings and shackles or do I have to get them from the dealer?? I have a sneaking feeling I'll need to burn out the old bushings as I'm sure the bolts are rusted in the collars and I doubt the rubber will come out. (and grind, cut or chisel out the rivets)

Any thoughts, suggestions or hints??

Thanks
Royce

Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket parts are available (I'm looking at my LMC Truck catalog as I write). You can go through the Ford parts sponsors for FTE. And there are places like Rock Auto Parts as well. Removing the old part will take some work. Hopefully, someone who has done the job will come along with suggestions for you to guide you in doing the job. Be assured that replacement parts are available.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
i just got my lmc truck catolog in the mail last week. my l.h. side is close to failure and the r.h. side has signs of deteriorating as well. this is one spot you dont want a used part (unless its really good.) i myself am going to order shackles,brackets and bushings from lmc. ive seen pictures of front ones go bad too, might want to check on them as well. this seems to be the worst spot on my ranger, 2nd worst is the front core support.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
i got a pic of my worst one today when i changed tires, l.h. side; it would probly be more rusty if i didnt constantly touch it up with paint every 3 months or so. every spring its the same thing, chipping rust from the trailer hitch and spring shackles. ive got a through-hole in the rear bumper and a tailgate cancer to fix. the bumper going to be a tough one, ive seen plenty of dodge rear bumpers do this but this is the first ranger bumper ive seen happen on edit: its funny how theres still enough "shine" on the tailgate/bumper that you can see me taking the pics!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
93rngjb
Freshman User
I had the exact same problem on my 93, the right rear bracket failed, and the other 3 were on the way out. I ordered new brackets off ebay for 30$ ea. for the fronts, and i think 35 ea. for the backs, plus new shackles for about 35 ea. The parts claimed to be genuine ford and came with ford stickers, although i'm not too sure on authenticity because the guy seems to have a steady supply of them. They fit great though and i also picked up a urethane bushing kit from suspensionconnection.com. truck rides a bit stiff still though, think i might take it back apart and have a leaf taken out of it.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
hey guys i just replaced the shackles and brackets on my 99 due to the shackles rusting out, however afterwards i did a t bar crank and got bigger shackles to level it out, so i have the ford shackles used them maybe a month if anyone wants them pm me as i have no use for them now

Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
found out about this kit, i get brackets and shackles for both sides with all the hardware for $120. seems like a pretty good deal.-->338-1950K

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Chopper-Boyz
Junior User
that's the kit I'm looking at..

that is the same kit I was going to get from Stengel Brothers. I was also going to get the leafspring bushings for an extra $6.13 each just in case. How would I get the leafspring bushings out?? bang them out or give them a little heat from a torch??

Its a good excuse to buy the 4.5" grinder I have been wanting..

Royce

Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
try banging on them and see what happens, but youre going to change them out anyways so if you need to destroy them, no harm done. my dad has a '94 3/4 ton ford that we need to do the same job to. its so bad i hate to use the bed of that truck for anything more than the spare tire. you might heat the eye of the spring, then try knocking the bushing out.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
placed my order today, bracket kit plus bushings & shipping came to just under $150. probly get started on it next week.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
NOGM4ME
Junior User
Just replaced mine also. Local ford dealer had it all in stock.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
waiting on mine to arrive, i did finnally fix that horendous looking hole in the tail gate and patched the through-holes in the bumper. no, im no "body man" but it least its better than that ugly hole.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
spring bushings arrived today, probly get package #2 tommarrow with the rest of the goodies.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
got the 2nd package today, whats weird is that the 1st package was the bushings for the springs, came u.ps. todays package, the hangers, shackles and hardware came fed-ex. i would have thought they would be through the same carrier. oh well. got them sprayed with areosol bedliner coating. if the weather's good tommarrow i'll get it changed out. might have to pull the trailer hitch. got to work out side, if it was like today, no problem.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Chopper-Boyz
Junior User
got mine too

got mine too, though I think I will have to wait a week as I have to go motorcycle shopping with my younger son this weekend
I'll be interesed to know how it goes for you..

Royce

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring brackets rusted