1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best way to store a truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to store a truck?

I may be picking up another truck and was wondering what would be the best way to store it till I finish my current project.
Indoors would be best, but I don't have that option.

Is there a problem with simply covering it with a tarp? Or is it better to just let it sit?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
A tarp is better than letting it sit exposed to the weather, but it traps moisture underneath against the vehicle and many of the typical blue plastic ones are not very UV resistant (but they are cheap to replace). I would suggest doing what I did with my panel before I had a garage for the best bang for the $. I bought a fitted fabric cover of a fabric called Noah. It is very weather resistant but it breathes releasing trapped moisture, and has a soft inner surface. Being fitted it is easy to put on and off, and stays in place in anything less than hurricane winds just by it's elastic hem, but has grommets for tying down or adding a security cable if you are concerned. Best of all they are relatively inexpensive at ~ 125.00. Try California Car Cover. There are cheaper ones available but they are made from a cheaper and less durable/weather resistant material and/or don't fit properly so they flap around in the wind, beating themselves and the truck to death.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
What Ax says and I would also put a heavy mil plastic on the ground to prevent ground moisture creeping in from the bottom.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over at your girlfriends house!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
No disrespect inteneded to Mr. AX or to some of the finer car covers... So far as I'm concerned there is no substitute for inside storage. I have found that if you look around or advertise for it that there is always someone willing to make a few bucks from a garage or other building they have. There is guy who has a storage facility less than a quarter mile from me that will make a better deal for a year than monthly. He will take $40.00 per month as opposed to $50.00 if you commit for a year. I had another neighbor who has since moved, that had an extra empty garage that I was able to squeeze three old trucks into and that was for free.

I have no idea of what length storage period you are considering, but one alternative might be one of those portable garage or shelters that you can take down ans store. I have been considering one for use as temporary shelter and a place to do painting and sandblasting. I am sure there are disadvantages to using these portable shelters. I guess it all depends on each individual's particular situation.

The point is, with a little effort you can work something out that best suits your needs.

Later Man...

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I like ALL the above methods.....but here is what I did this yr. I put the truck outside ontop of a large tarp.....then set truck ontop.......then pulled the tarp over the truck.....that is covered with a car cover.....and bungeed in the center. Then the car cover is bungeed all over like a glove over the truck.
I also put soap (irish spring) inside for mice and tada-----I just opened mine up this weekend and no problems.....and this is in Ohio not Tennessee.....where it usually has nicer weather.
My big 56 is tarped over the box with a california car cover.....and although they are expensive......this has weathered outside on different trucks since 1995.....and is ripped but still hanging in there. I have bought cheaper car covers.....but California car covers ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Bill

Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used one of the portable shelters to protect my Mustang before I brought it indoors. I did not extend the legs to their full height instead letting the shelter sit at about half height. It protected the truck from the rain, crud, and uv but still allowed a good deal of ventilation. I used some extra twine to stake down the corners and make it more stable. I used it for well over a year with no issues on the shelter and good results for the Mustang. Inside would be best but if you are tight on funds I had about $100 in mine. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One more thing that might help. Cocooning like Walford did works great. You can use those plastic squeese clamps to hold th etarp shut as well - like when they tent your house for termites.

But before you seal it up, go up to Home Depot and buy a sheet of drywall. Cut it into thirds. Before you wrap up the truck, put one third in the engine compartment, one third in the cab, and one third in the bed then seal it up.

The gypsum is super dry and acts as a desicant - like those little pillow things in you pill bottles. It will absord moisture and help prevent corrosion!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
$300 will get you one of those portable garages like Northern Tool sells. But they need to be in a shaded area. I've also looked at making my own out of PVC pipe and tarps. Keeping them off the vehicle will allow ventilation. But mine are rusted enough already not to worry, lol.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
With all the trees around here dropping branches, ice storms, hurricane effects, etc, I'd be concerned about the life expectancy of one of the canvas portable garages. I lost two of the home improvement store type metal garden sheds to falling limbs. After the second one's demise, my insurance co said they would no longer cover another metal replacement. I think I would put up a corregated metal roofed and sided small pole barn for 300.00.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
This is true---I had a lowes 1 car tent that was about 175.00 and it sat over my truck. This happened 10 yrs ago....so it is hard to remember...but it flew over the freeway,about 1/4 mile away by a high wind.....and my truck was sitting there all by itself ,NAKED and nothing around but 1 aluminum pole in the ground.....HAHA

I like Julie's idea and use the drier in a can from lowes or h.depot......but now will try the drywall.....it costs 10-11 bucks for the can of drier stuff.
Any way you cut it......outside storage sucks.....but if a neighbor or a friend or like Rodney said.....a girlfriend...make sure you don't tick her off....haha
.......outside storage is a matter of common sense and tending to the trucks needs.
Keep it out of the hail of tree limbs and check on it often and start it often. My big 56 F600 has a van box on it (only for a month....and off it comes) and it cannot be stored inside...so I love this ole truck.....and I check on her needs often......and make sure she isn't lonely...so I sit in her when my wife and I can.....and .......well you see how this goes...........Bill