6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 diesel versus 6.8 V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Bruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 diesel versus 6.8 V10

Was considering the 2008 6.4 ccpsd but am starting to wonder if a 2008/09 V10 might be a better option. Most of my towing is done spring/summer. The gas mileage for the V10 can't be too good but how is it compared to the 6.4? I know there is a difference in power but there are some things where there isn't a huge difference (towing, payload). I really like the diesel and the potential longevity that comes with it but I don't want to ruin the engine by underworking it either (is that possible?) Could one expect a pretty long lifespan for the V10? I'm also not sure how patient I should be in my search because I want to take advantage of the deals and am not sure how much longer they will stay this way. Thanks for any advice offered. This forum is very helpful and informative.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
SID297
Senior User
Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
generalee31184
Senior User
I dont know much bout the v10 other than I have seen the new ones pull this past year in the truck pulls and they pulled like a *******! Fuel mileage im sure sucks but 6.4 is not all that great mileage pulling either from what i understand.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
richfaa
Elder User
We have had both. Pretty much the same truck. 05 V-10 now a 08 6.4L.. and I hate that question. They are two completly different motors and can not be compared. How can a turbo Diesel be compaired with a non turbo gas motor. They are designed to do different things and both do them well. We pulled a 13K plus 5th wheel with both motors. Our travel changed and well I just wanted a diesel so we got one.Diesel will get better MPG both towing and solo. Diesel is better on the steep grades. If you do a lot of miles and a lot of towing and are in a lot of mountains the diesel will serve you better.

It is absolute BS that you need a diesel to tow anything . It is a mater of how you use the truck. The V-10 did all we asked of it...So does the diesel and some things better.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Bruck,

What are you going to pull(how much weight)?? Where are you going to pull it(hills or flat?? The answers to these questions will surely have an impact on what engine you should pull with.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Bruck
New User
I am towing 5000-6000 pounds(camper)-mostly spring and summer for now, but am thinking about a 5th wheel/truck camper sometime down the road. Areas of travel vary-nothing in the mountains as of yet. One thing I wonder about though is the longest daily commute during the week for us is generally 10-12 miles one way(to work). Will that be hard on a diesel engine interms of maybe being under worked? I'd love to get one of these in the worst way because they seem to be pretty awesome and I think eventually we'd use it to more of its potential but it's also a lot of money and maybe overkill?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
The 6.4 sounds overkill to me for 5k to 6k but that has to be your final decision. You really need to think about what will be the greatest total weight that you are going to pull in the future and go from there.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
The 6.4 was designed to work. If the 6.4 is not worked hard on a regular basis I can almost assure you that you will have problems with the DPF. This is based on what I have heard from members of FTE.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM
firemansdiesel
Junior User
You will not hurt the diesel if you don't tow/haul all the time. The 6.4 still gets better mileage than the V-10 (atleast whats been posted on the V-10). If you want diesel then get it.

I think it's naive thinking when someone say on the forums "if your not towing heavy then why get one" saying. I bought mine because I can and it's my money. I will never go back to a gasser after owning a couple of diesels. Even w/ all the emission stuff.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM
richfaa
Elder User
You do not NEED a diesel to tow 5/6K of camper. The V-10 will pull it just as well. There are many other things to consider. MPG, How long will you keep the truck, will it be a daily driver, initial cost. The factor that over rides all others is.... do you just want the diesel...if so....get it.

The truck is parked here in Florida while here for the winter for 6 months(we also have the Honda with us) It has run 400 miles since mid October with no ill effects.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a diesel lover but I recommend the V10 for you. I only tow from March - October and about 10-11k. Truck ran great all summer and fall. Then this winter I started driving daily commutes, more idling, etc and the truck started feeling slugish to me. I took it out for a long enough drive to get it good and warm, it went through a regen and feels better now. This truck doesnt like short daily commuting.

For the summer, your loads are pretty light, even for a V10. The gas mileage will be about 1-3 mpg worse but the $6,500 you saved on the truck will buy a LOT of gasoline. With only 6k pounds even the mountains wont give a V10 any trouble.

My only disclaimer to this is if you are hauling your trailer 1,000 miles each trip. If towing for really long distances then I may reconsider.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by richfaa
We have had both. Pretty much the same truck. 05 V-10 now a 08 6.4L.. and I hate that question. They are two completly different motors and can not be compared. How can a turbo Diesel be compaired with a non turbo gas motor. They are designed to do different things and both do them well. We pulled a 13K plus 5th wheel with both motors. Our travel changed and well I just wanted a diesel so we got one.Diesel will get better MPG both towing and solo. Diesel is better on the steep grades. If you do a lot of miles and a lot of towing and are in a lot of mountains the diesel will serve you better.

It is absolute BS that you need a diesel to tow anything . It is a mater of how you use the truck. The V-10 did all we asked of it...So does the diesel and some things better.
Agree with richfaa. Towed heavy with my V10 and it did the job. The 6.4 handles 17k towing much easier. Look at your future if you plan to upgrade to a heavier 5ver

Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
SID297
Senior User
Originally Posted by firehawk198
Agree with richfaa. Towed heavy with my V10 and it did the job. The 6.4 handles 17k towing much easier. Look at your future if you plan to upgrade to a heavier 5ver
I would hope your 6.4 pulls better than your V10, there's a lot of disparity between the specs on those two trucks. Your F-450 is a beast.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:13 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I would go with the diesel if you can afford it. I went from a 2003 F-350 V-10 to an 2008 F-350 6.4. Difference was day and night to me, I will NEVER go back to a gas again.

Don't get me wrong tho, the V-10 is a bullet proof motor. It's the 7.3L of the gas engines. I had 100k on mine when I traded it in and never had a problem with the motor, no repairs at all. But towing with that truck was horrible, I'd start on the smallest hill and that truck would downshift and still struggle. (The truck did have some minor Mods for power) I'm talking in the 4k-6k range is when it started annoying me. Not to mention the mileage sucked, empty or towing. The biggest plus about the V-10 was the maintenance costs less, and it had better off-road capabilities that the diesels because it weighed less on the front end.

Like I said, I will never go back to gas powered truck again. I've towed loads up to 23k with my 6.4 and the performance has amazed me every time. Not to mention my mileage is almost double what I got in my V-10, all it took was a few mods to the 6.4 to make 20+MPG. I don't tow every day, but when I need to I can trust the 6.4 to get the job done with a minimal amount of effort.

You seem to be right on the edge of someone who needs a diesel or gas. If you do end up getting a 5th wheel you will never regret purchasing a diesel. Right now, if you can afford it get a diesel. You can probably get one for the same price as a gas right now at a dealership if you can deal with them.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
marcussen
Senior User
I love my V10, but they are hard to find, rebates etc. usualy applies to dealer stock so around here that means diesel. I would guess the diesel would average 3MPG better than the gasser. Considering the more expensive maintenance on the diesel and higher diesel prices the operating cost of the two are probably close to even. Expect 200,000+ miles without problems from the V10. You can probably get a great deal on a diesel off the lot making it worth it. I tow a 10500 lbs horse trailer with no problems and get 9.5MPG towing it with my V10 (in the flatlands of Oklahoma) (14 MPG highway empty)

Quick Reply: 6.4 diesel versus 6.8 V10