Print Wikipost

"Door Ajar" light stays on.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 AM
grouchF150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great info!
your cargo light will also stay on if your cluster dimmer **** is put all the way up lol. i found about that after i spent 1 hour looking online and spraying crap on my latches :rofl:

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
arata954
New User
wd40 worked for me been wondering how to fix this. now to figure out why my dome and map lights dont work.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
grouchF150
New User
Originally Posted by arata954
wd40 worked for me been wondering how to fix this. now to figure out why my dome and map lights dont work.
have you checked the fuse? its a 15a fuse. maybe the 14th or something like that.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM
arata954
New User
Originally Posted by grouchF150
have you checked the fuse? its a 15a fuse. maybe the 14th or something like that.
yea it was a fuse alright.. missing fuse lol. i think it was removed cause of the door ajar problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
imockman
New User
Smile Great Fix!!

WD-40 on all latch mechanisims, 8 slam shuts on all doors ... Light off. Its was that simple! Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
imockman
New User
over a month later

Over a month later, and door lights still working well! Great fix!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
whit
New User
Replaced switches, went thru a can of WD40, took out fuses, nothing worked started going Griswald! A buddy of mine had the same problem who lives in Oregon and his buddy is the service mgr at a dealership, replaced the "light relay" thats part of the fuse panel and voila no more dinging, lights or anything! Did this in December 09, and nothing still. Think it was about $12-$14. Worth every penny...

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
mommarem
New User
2002 Ford Explorer/ Interior Lights and Car alarm

Ok so I have a 2002 Explorer and have been having similar problems as some of you the door ajar light pops on and off while Im driving down the road, the car alarm randomly goes off, and the interior lights sometimes dont want to go out which is causing my battery to drain. I noticed that my battery terminals had some corrosion today and replaced the clamps and wallah no more troubles!! Might want to give it a try Im not sure how long it will work but so far its been a few days and its not happened again!!!!!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM
IxxxAAAxxxI
New User
2005 f150 door ajar light staying on

My issues:
1. Door ajar light
2. Dome lights not turning off
3. Outside rear cab light not turning off
4. Door lock/unluck buttons not working.

tried squirting penetrating lube into all the door latches and slammed the doors, two different times. didn't work

I then tried pulling a couple fuses. when I pulled fuse: 107 - Power door locks (BSM) and pushed it back in everything was working fine after that.

something else for people to try...

Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
nightrider5020
New User
98 ford explorer

Great ideas!! I have used WD-40 a lot, but as one poster pointed out, I only have this problem when it gets cold or is snowing.
Thanks, need to replace speakers anyways, so I'll check, clean or replace that door sensor as well!!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
03rangerman
New User
Door ajar switch problem

The door ajar switch from my 03 Ranger is faulty. I sprayed WD-40 and closed it 10 times and nothing. What else can I do? How do I remove the switch, or can I just cut the the cables and disable the switch? Help....

Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM
doradoloco
New User
Door Ajar light staying on..

Originally Posted by Spotty
I see so many Ford trucks driving around with the back cargo light on I want to make up cards to put on windshields to tell people how to fix. As the guys said, it's one or both of the switch's in the door latch. Spray some WD 40 or (something in that catagory) into the latch, and open and shut the door 20 times. Let us know if that does the trick.

Jeff
I used WD-40 and this fixed it perfectly - thanks!!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Inodaspot
New User
Thumbs up Works like a charm.

I have had the door ajar problem on my 97 Expedition XLT, sprayed some electronic contact cleaner/lubrication spray on it. Just closed the doors once. Light off. Thanks for the tip. If the problem comes back again. I will look into replacing sensor/switches, but I am so happy that I read this post. Saves tons of money.. Thanx

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Anniemck
New User
I am having this problem... Today the door ajar light came on, didn't want to go off, checked all doors and the back window and all were closed. Running lights didn't go off and dome light didn't go off either for about 15 minutes. Husband pulled the fuse, it was fine. Replaced it, now the driver window will not go up. All other windows work fine on the driver door switch the but driver window is in the down position and will not close.
HELP... really can't pay $150+ for a new switch right now, not after having just bought and replaced the 8 coil packs and spark plugs yesterday...
1998 Expedition 5.4L V8

Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 PM
ylekyote
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door ajar diagnosis procedures

I have a 2001 X 5.4L 4wd XLT that I bought recently. 155,000 miles. Maintained very well by a state agency. First Ford truck for a long while.

I can't find a DIY procedure to figure out what door or door switch/wire is causing my "door ajar" dash light to come on as well as all of the interior lights.

The interior lights go off after 10-15 minutes but do it again almost everytime a door is opened, apparently any door at times, but sometimes none of them. I thought it was the Driver front door or rear glass or cargo doors (most used) but the light will come on and stay on with the X off, key in accessory position, or with the X cranked in Park or while driving.

Also, I don't have a door ajar chime at anytime other than initial key insertion and crank. And my alarm will not arm either...I always get 2 beeps instead of 1 beep with remote (this may be the manual door locks fault though... I'll I check this out today).

Only the driver door and back glass/cargo doors power door lock and unlock correctly. The rear driver door will go down but not up with cab button or remote, and the passenger side front and rear doors don't do either. They all function manually though just fine. I attribute the door locks to old actuators but I haven't pulled any door panels yet (actually I don't care about the power door locks anyway). All the windows work fine with all window switches and power mirrors work fine also.

I've soaked all the door latches with rust penetration oil three times over the last 3 days and actuated the doors both manually with a screwdriver and by opening/shutting the door at least 60 times each. I've push and pulled on the shut doors and with screwdriver with doors open. No difference.

Is there a secret code or procedure to isolate where the switch or wiring problem is?

The interior lights will stay on for the same amount of time when driving it as well. Not a big deal in daytime but a big deal at night because there's no interior lighting override for my XLT (rubber floor and cloth interior).

Thanks for the help! willie

Quick Reply: "Door Ajar" light stays on.....